Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
most already think im strange but cant believe sometimes that the music is from a game.

P.S. matching avatars?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I started to like music after playing RPGs. Today I collect midis and put them in my playlist, with my favorite band songs.
For what others says about VG musics, well, for those who does not play any games, they say "wtf are you listening to?" or "lower the sound now!! This is not music!" :p. But for the ones whom plays games too, they always asks me from which game the music is. XD

Seriously, it is hard to find someone who like this kind of music if he/she does not play games, or doesn't like instrumental music.

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
i mostly play symphonic kind of VGmusic so they actually dislike only the symphonic part of it, kind of no one asks what it is except for maybe the weird cases were they say "hey, loved that scene", but is very very weird

·
Registered
774 Posts
My family doesn't always agree with my taste of music, but overall they're pretty tollerant of it. Actually, my dad is a folk musician, so he has enough musical background to be able to appreciate any music that's done well. On a few occasions he's even asked me for a copy of the sountracks of a few games he heard me playing (Skies of Arcadia and FFVII). He also helped me figure out how to play the Super Mario and Zelda theme songs on the piano. :)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I listen a lot to Metal / Hard Rock, rather than VG Music. While family (oldies), uni (trance), college (trance) and work (pop) loath it, about 3/4 of the people I consider friends enjoy it.

As for VG Music, I don't know anyone but the "geeks" I know/have known that enjoy most of it any time and day. That's not to say I think people are "geeks" for listening to them, I'm just saying what I've observed in my vicinity. I'm not judgemental on mere preferences, and I hate to categorize spontaneously.

I myself listen to Sonic Mayhem, or even several of Half Life 2's tracks, though. I don't mind orchestra either (I have a thing for instrumental), but I've been too critical to find a piece from a videogame that I'd enjoy continuously. Orchestra used in big-budget movies usually has better production values. ;)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
My parents couldn't stand those NES tunes playing all day when the NES was still connected to the tv downstairs.

Last night my mom asked me if I was playing Turtles (TMNT2) again, I was surprised she recognized sounds from NES games after 10 years. Even more because we were playing Probotector 2 (contra 2 pal) which has got the same 'instruments' as TMNT2, both are Konami games. I think that she would love to hear more of this music, "anything but Graveworm!!"

I listen to VG music a lot, especially since I got into orchestrated soundtracks. Some friends really don't understand what I like about it, but they didn't grow up with games the way I did. In my new class there are some friends of mine who really know their gaming history, and we can talk about old games for hours. One of them has got an extensive collection of Final Fantasy OST's. But some other friends really don't understand what I like about it. Usually they are the ones who are into hardcore house music, which might explain their lack of interest :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I used to listen to a LOT of VGmusic some time ago. My mother and sister thought of it as a bit odd, but didn't really comment on it, my friends didn't really find anything odd about it, but my father was pretty anal about the whole listening to game soundtracks thing. Though he did respect some pieces, like any of the symphonic Final Fantasy soundtracks he would stop, listen for a while, and say "wow, that's beautiful."

He thought it was ALL I listened too also. To some extent he was right; I listened to a LOT but I was into some other stuff. He was still a bit 'eh' about my music, even when I moved into powermetal.

Thing is, he thought that Blind Guardian wrote game soundtracks. When I told him they don't he seemed to gain a greater respect for them. It irked me a little I guess, but meh, what can I do.

Gaurav said:
I myself listen to Sonic Mayhem
Yea, I liked the Quake II soundtrack. What else did Sonic Mayhem do?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
The people I know who know I listen to video game music don't really care about it. In fact, since most of the music I listen to is pretty good, they usually ask me what I'm listening to, thinking it must be some awesome movie soundtrack. My taste in music is questionable at best though, considering ~96% of the music I listen to is video game (whether original or remixed) and anime music, with the other 5% being movie soundtracks. Speaking of which, I've been listening to nothing but 3 tracks on a Madlax CD for the last two weeks or so of my World of Warcraft playing. ~12 hours a day of one of three songs. Yeah, I think I have a Kajiura complex...

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
I like to listen Symphonic and Classical type VGMusic, like FF soundtracks and similar. Because i use closed-type headphones mostly when i listen music, no one really have a change to comment what i listen to. :lol:

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
Samor said:
most people I know claim that "it's no music".
That's what I get from people I know as well :p It is funny when someone catches me listening to an NES soundtrack. They're like "What kind of crap are you listening to?" People just can't appreciate good music.

But then again, where I live, I don't listen to what the majority listen to. Here, most people listen to Reggaeton and Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B and a little bit of Rock while I listen to Trance/House/Dance. So then I apparently have no taste in music according to these people :p

·
Sword for hire...a Pro
433 Posts
well i listen to Rock and Symphonic music ,
From all VGM music my most top 3 respected composers are:
1.Nobuo Uematsu
2.Motoi Sakuraba
3.Daisuke Ishiwatari
my freinds mostly listen to Trance , they dont understand the beauty of symphonic orchestra.other than that my dad asked my to make him some soothing music so i made him some FF tracks he liked it ^_^

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once upon a time I was asked about who are the musicians I listen to, and when I said something like : "Yasunori mitsuda" or "Nobuo Uematsu" I got some of the scariest replies.
Reply 1 : Yoyo what?
Reply 2 : Are they some sort of bands?
Reply 3 : :rotflmao:
Reply 4 : Er.. well. Sorry for asking.

coolsvilleman said:
P.S. matching avatars?
Yeah ^^

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
most people i know can easily recognize game music except my parents. as long as its not the 8-16bit stuff which my mom hates they dont mind to much.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
So when are you guys going to marry each other? :evil::evil::evil:

Yours,
-E

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.