Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've been reading up on recently, there seems to be a lot of methods with which people go about doing a simple driver update. Even read about one guy uninstalling the drivers, then rebooting into safe mode and running a driver cleaning utility, and then finally booting normally, install drivers....then reboot again lol.

Myself, here's my process..
1.) Uninstall drivers, then delete everything in the C:/NVIDIA/xxx.xx folder (idk if this is just the extraction of the install files, or the actual installation, but the files stay there if i don't delete them myself, even after the drivers have been 'uninstalled'). Followed by reboot.

2.) Boot normally, install new drivers...reboot.

and done. Am i missing out on something by not throwing a driver cleaning program into the mix, or is it not necessary?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i used to just uninstall in safemode, reboot, and reinstall in safemode, but since they started packing the control panel into its own installer, it makes it difficult.

Anyway. Drivercleaners are rarely required if you use the uninstaller since it cleans up most files usually (ATI is known to NOT clean up driver files properly)

Usually after a uninstall, only the nv4_mini.sys is still present but it always gets overwritten anyway.

I never delete the nvidia folder, to keep driver backups handy, the system never reads that folder anyway when drivers aren't installed as the uninstaller removes the paths to that folder from the driver install history.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
From what I've been reading up on recently, there seems to be a lot of methods with which people go about doing a simple driver update. Even read about one guy uninstalling the drivers, then rebooting into safe mode and running a driver cleaning utility, and then finally booting normally, install drivers....then reboot again lol.
That is the method I use. Here's my driver cleaner: Driver Sweeper beta 2.0.0 download from Guru3D.com

Uninstall drivers, then delete everything in the C:/NVIDIA/xxx.xx folder (idk if this is just the extraction of the install files, or the actual installation, but the files stay there if i don't delete them myself, even after the drivers have been 'uninstalled').
The C:/NVIDIA/xxx.xx folder is indeed just a temp install folder.

Am i missing out on something by not throwing a driver cleaning program into the mix, or is it not necessary?
Not removing your old driver *usually* results in no problems. Though I have experienced driver problems in the past which were remedied by using a driver cleaner.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
That leads to

1. The game profiles don't get updated properly.
2. Possible that certain values have been changed so certain reg keys cause game bugs.
3. Windows Vista had a major issue where key driver files were never updated properly leading to TDR's.....

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, well you all seem to use different methods, and they all seem to work fine. It's handy to know that I don't have to delete anything in the NVIDIA folder anymore.

I guess I may try a driver cleaner if I start getting constant driver crashes, or BSODS related to driver problems.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
just clean out the older version drivers after you've established the newer ones are working fine.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
That leads to

2. Possible that certain values have been changed so certain reg keys cause game bugs.
3. Windows Vista had a major issue where key driver files were never updated properly leading to TDR's.....
I got lucky with my hardware in the way that the driver installers uninstall old drivers for you. Even ATI does this now, imagine that! So I just install newer drivers over old ones unless they strongly recommend I uninstall manually first.

Updating ATI drivers in the past was a major, major pain.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Nvidia played with that for awhile, but now only do it if the drivers installed are newer then the ones you are installing.

the Quadro/Telsa drivers usually force the uninstall overall though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Bah lol I hate updating my drivers.First because my HDD is small:Dlol and
second it always destroys my XP operating system and in most cases I must make the Windows XP repair process.Argh!:mad:
Anyway until today all I updated was just my video driver for ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 because some newer games were showing black textures on some parts lol.All other drivers are from my original CD with drivers.No need for updating. =P

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't speak for ATI, but nvidia drivers supposedly give better performance in games with new releases. The most recent 185.xx series release of geforce drivers is an example of one of these "performance" updates. This is usually reason enough for me to immediately update to new drivers whenever they come out :p.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
That leads to

Well I haven't had any problems I've noticed too much, anyway.

I rarely update my drivers anyway. Usually only when a driver bug is causing issues.

I reinstall Windows every six months or so and I just download the latest drivers every Windows install.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
He's the George Bush of technological information.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.