Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to reinstall XP. But when I'll do that, the XP installer will over-write the NT6 boot-loader meaning I won't be able to boot into Windows 7. I don't want to install Windows 7 anew as well (despite the fact that there are a few bugs in it) and was wondering if there was anyway around this, what came to my mind was that after reinstalling XP, I:

- Use the Windows 7 install disc to repair/fix the MBR
- Manually add the Windows 7 boot option to the boot menu using EasyBCD.

I'm pretty sure either of the 2 above techniques will work, but just wanted to confirm before jumping into it. Also open to any other ways.

Thanks.

·
┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
2,058 Posts
boot into your windows 7 dvd after you've installed xp and start up the start up repair or manually repair it yourself using commands :
bootrec /fixmbr
then
bootrec /fixboot
it should fix 7 boot and automatically recognize your win xp partition, i've never had much luck with easybcd. :/

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Yup, I hate when XP tried to take over the Master Boot Record once it installed. A legacy piece of software that try to take over the booting process over the newer or latest OS. Haha, what a laugh! Anyway, I usually solved that issue with VistaBootPro, but it is no longer free.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Ditch XP and run XP mode on Windows 7. Problem solved =) Case is now dismiss.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
He can bypass it with program like vmware and other program alike which does virtualization without the need of the support of the cpu.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
boot into your windows 7 dvd after you've installed xp and start up the start up repair or manually repair it yourself using commands :
bootrec /fixmbr
then
bootrec /fixboot
it should fix 7 boot and automatically recognize your win xp partition, i've never had much luck with easybcd. :/
Yup, this works nicely as I've had to do so a few times (but with Vista).
And, no need to get troubled with virtualization software.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Actually from my perspective it would be the other way around no need to bother having two os's when you can use virtualization :lol: (i mean this when it comes to Microsoft OS's).

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input, I'll just fix the MBR from the Win7 disc and if that somehow doesn't work then I'll give EasyBCD a shot.

He can bypass it with program like vmware and other program alike which does virtualization without the need of the support of the cpu.
Yeah.....and junk precious resources to the overhead of virtualization, no thanks. On my machine, XP is still faster then 7 for gaming, though that maybe largely due to the fact that my 7 install has loads of background services and eye-candy running while my XP install is nothing except 3 or 4 essential apps I need for gaming.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Ditch XP and run XP mode on Windows 7. Problem solved =) Case is now dismiss.
Shutup dumbass, the case is not dismissed. There are still plenty of reasons why you would need to have a real install of XP.

Take me for example, my capture card will not work with 7. XP mode will not help with this at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.