Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the point of Emulators, Roms, and ISOs? If u have the game already (which u should) then why copy it? I dont understand whats the point of this, unless you want illegal copies of ISOs and ROMs (which you shouldnt do).

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
This thread is in the wrong forum...

I still play pacman or galaga every once a while on mame.. It reminds me how and where gaming began.. How it all started.. To see how games have advanced through the years.. I also like playing old games that I use to love playing.. Ie..

SEga cd emulation is finally beginning to get good.. I use to play my sega cd games all the time, but now that my sega cd is broken and thrown away.. The only way I can play these wonderful Sega CD games is through emulation.. Plus, playing sega cd games with Sal2x eagle mode looks damn good..

I don't have my saturn anymore but I still have a bunch of sega Saturn games and I am just waiting for a good Saturn emulator to come along so I can play em again with enhanced graphics.. YOu gotta love that..

·
Banned
7,778 Posts
I use ePSXe for 3 reasons

1. I hate Sony. I have no wish to buy their products, yet I still want to play Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross

2. ePSXe is more reliable than a PSX. I find that my CDROM will read games that a PSX won't. Besides, ISOs rule.

3. Improved Graphics, save states, faster load times all work together to make the BEST experience possible. Try playing Parasite Eve on ePSXe, and I assure you that you will notice a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if i disrupted anyone, but i just couldnt find a reason other than illegal stuff, if thats the case why is it so bad? if majority do it illegally. Windamn thats not nice, i understand spanish. I should report you to a moderator. Well im just tired of people questioning me about why are you going to Download a game u already got? liek my previous thread. Now its cool, i quit legit.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by TrizzyDizzy
Whats the point of Emulators, Roms, and ISOs? If u have the game already (which u should) then why copy it? I dont understand whats the point of this, unless you want illegal copies of ISOs and ROMs (which you shouldnt do).
Emulators (as used in the electronic sense) are used to allow programs designed on one piece of hardware to run on a completely different (and usually incompatible) piece of hardware. By their very nature it become more increasing difficult to find this original hardware. Hence emulation. It allows modern hardware to run older programs, some of which (especially classic games) could never be replaced. Thus explains roms also. Cartridge based consoles and arcade machines had their software stored on microchips which will eventually fail. By making roms this software is preserved. You are quite correct as this is a very grey area. As for isos you will find that most ppl here make their own.

Basically think of it in the same way as vintage cars collectors. They bring back memories of our childhood.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
This is more appropriate in the general forum. Dunno how long it'll last, but might as well move it anyway.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Originally posted by Windman_Jin
Chupa meu ovo, TrizzyDizzy!
A favor da pirataria, hoje e sempre!
Entendeu PAPITO?!
cool eet meester..
we dont support that kind of attitude.
watch what you say next time, because i have the power of the fish! :D

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Windman_Jin, you're not too bright, are you? Just a word of warning, a LOT of people in this board speak portuguese.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Originally posted by Badaro
Windman_Jin, you're not too bright, are you? Just a word of warning, a LOT of people in this board speak portuguese.

[]s Badaro
Or use a translation utility to make up for not knowing it. :p

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
For the coders, its probably the challenge. For the users its probably the fun! :)

·
playing FGO
10,134 Posts
I use emus because my stoopid little brother is hogging the TV. :p :D

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I'll never play a PSX game on a PSX again for as long as I live. Once I used ePSXe, there was no going back. A lot of games are completely different with enhancements. I can even stand some I hated before! :)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
suprising no one has mentioned about translations, although very few translations have been made for the PSX to date, SNES is the biggest in the market now, but you get a chance to play games never released in the US. PLus mihgt I add some games are really tough to find, like Castlevania SOTN, I just can't find it, and I refuse to get it on Ebay.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Originally posted by Ryos
I'll never play a PSX game on a PSX again for as long as I live. Once I used ePSXe, there was no going back. A lot of games are completely different with enhancements. I can even stand some I hated before! :)
LOL... I agree with you, althought I still need my PSX for Valkyrie Profile. Not for too long, I hope. :)

[]s Badaro

·
king Kong Never Dies!
2,105 Posts
Originally posted by TrizzyDizzy

Thats alot of reasons why people use emulator.
I make isos for the games and use emulator to play them because i dont want my psx's or pc's cdroms' lens to keep on reading the cd everytimes i play them,Why? because the less the cdrom's lens read the cds, the longer the cdrom's lens can last, and i dont need to pay money to buy a new cdrom so often.It save me tons of money.

And there is still alot of reasons,better graphics (i wonder whether u ever tried to use emulator before.), save state, unlimited memory cards,faster speed, save image to ur harddisk........

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow yall, thx, ALL these diferent possibilities for the emulator that i never thought of. Unlimited memory cards is definatley cool, but im not sure about better graphics or faster speeds, cuz my computer isnt top notch, nor is mid notch for that matter. But thx yall. I guess i wont delete this thing. See i used to play the SNES emulators, illegally, but i stopped. Now i found some benefits to PS emulation, THX again.

·
100% emulated freak
1,028 Posts
My take on the emulation scene is a bit more self centered:

I purchased FF7 for the PC. Square used 4th generation images and they were pathetic. But I am an FF junkie so I played it. FF8 was also released to the PC. A better port at least. Then FF9 came out... still no PC version. And no plans for a pC version. I refuse to pay money to buy a PSX when there would be one, maybe two games i would play.

Now for the less self-centered answer:

It is a pain in the butt to convert an FF7 PC save to a dex drive save every time I want to go to a buddys house and play FF7. If i didn't own a dex drive, or he didn't own the pc version...

'nuff said.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts