Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what would be the easiest language in your oppinion to learn (apart from basic) for a person that has very little programing experiance (SQL).

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
VisualBasic, followed by C# (both are very appropriate for GUIs too, and agile development).

Contrary to what the more veteran claim, VB is not something shameful to use or reserved to unintelligent/noob coders.

To each language their merits, at the core. Given a certain mastery level, just see if you prefer portability, ease, or longterm code survivability.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I learned C++, then C#/VB.NET. I'm more inclined to say learn C++ (not C, it's not OOP) before learning, for example, VB.NET. Reason being is that if you learn VB first, you're likely to become too accustomed to how (very) liberal it is in comparison to low level C/C++.

Knowing C++ and .NET languages, I much prefer .NET for general app development thanks to ease of interface development (so much less needs to be hand written), of course, that's not taking into account using the .NET framework in your C++ app, which is a little stupid anyway because it eliminates the possibility of portability. One thing I can say though, always use Microsoft's IDEs if devving on Windows. Haven't found an IDE for any language that comes close to Microsoft's. :)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
VisualBasic, followed by C# (both are very appropriate for GUIs too, and agile development).

Contrary to what the more veteran claim, VB is not something shameful to use or reserved to unintelligent/noob coders.

To each language their merits, at the core. Given a certain mastery level, just see if you prefer portability, ease, or longterm code survivability.
Fully agreed.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the advice, ive always had reservations about learning visual basic but since you are recomending it i might as well give it a try.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Well once you understand the logic behind one language the others become simpler with you only really still having to learn the new syntax and then some of the more advanced stuff. If you just straight started on C++ you would be faced with greek and that's no fun and may dishearten you, if however you have another language or two under you belt you already have an idea sort of how the code is meant to function for various things, all that's left then is to sort out the syntax differences.
Basically starting to learn C++ or another complicated language would be like starting to learn maths on Algebra...(ok I suppose it's a little easier than that). It's far easier to learn Algebra if you can already add, subtract, multiply and divide.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can really recommend you delphi. even with its somwhat stubborn framework it is very easy to learn and will give you a insight in things to come. and btw old versions of delphi are free. i had to learn delphi in shool classes( we started with modula2 -.-) and im still programming in my freetime...

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
i recommend you start with Visual Basic, then move on to Java/C#, then finally C++.

some people say Visual Basic teaches bad programming practices and spoils you, but its not true.
its usually said by elitist coders that think they're better by coding in harder languages.
once you're more experienced you can move on to more difficult languages and learn the more advanced programming concepts.

starting out with C++ is like getting punched in the face :D
you're likely to get annoyed and quit learning if you start out with C++.
and unless you're doing some performance critical application like a next gen emu (which a beginner will probably not be coding), then simpler languages are perfectly fine.

when you start out programming, it should be a fun experience to show you the fun in coding. Visual basic offers that with its simplicity, while learning C++ first you'll be stuck making console "hello world" apps for quite a while. (in other words, its boring! :D)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I can really recommend you delphi. even with its somwhat stubborn framework it is very easy to learn and will give you a insight in things to come. and btw old versions of delphi are free. i had to learn delphi in shool classes( we started with modula2 -.-) and im still programming in my freetime...
Not sure that I would recommend it, but I will agree that although it's slightly more complicated than VB it still offers a possible and a decent start for beginners.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
You can literally make viruses with VB (simple ones), so who the heck said it wasn't "useful"? :p

But that aside, like others have suggested, it's not a bad starting point. It works well enough for a beginner, and once you've gotten the basics down, you can start moving on to another language for a platform that you think will work out best for you.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If your into gaming languages stick with c++. If you want a desktop application learn visual basic (god i loved 6, let's no go there with .net). I've personally learned visual basic 6 and enjoyed learning the language. I've moved on to Realbasic, the should of been Visual basic 7. Not to much documentation out there but more is being produced daily. It's also a cross platform language (mac,linux,windows). I just love it.

O and
You can literally make viruses with VB (simple ones), so who the heck said it wasn't "useful"?"
you can make stuff a lot more complex than that. But why would you want to do that in the first place. We are all good and righteous people right? Right????????:lol:

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Talking about languages, any chance you could lay off the chatspeak Skirty?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Binary was easy for me.... lol i passed it atleast.... can't remember any of it now...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
that book cover has a typo!!!
Engrish > English.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts