Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
By CPU I imagine you mean the proc die itself and not the ambient case temperature.

My PIII 800 (non-OCed) tends to run from 70 to 90 degrees F, depending on the temperature of the room (we haven't air conditioning). A PIII 500 (also non-OCed) runs in a fully packed, 5-bay case and levels around 100 to 115 degrees F. Of course, it's also in a poorly ventilated area. Both computers are equipped with large case fans, two power supply exhaust fans, and a Gold Orb proc cooler.

As you can see, there doesn't tend to be an "average" temp, seeing as how fans, clock speed, die size, space inside one's case, and ambient room temperature can make a sizable difference.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Originally posted by bobotns
A good CPU cooler must bring the temperature to ~ 35 degrees celsius.
It doesn't /have/ to bring it down that low. You needn't worry about damaging your cpu until the temperature is 60+ degrees C, if you're getting up to 70 you definetly need some more cooling. Usually you'll notice problems before the chip reaches that temp, such as frequent hard system locks when under load.

Remember that AMD currently ships no desktop chip with an on die temp sensor, any temperature readings you get are from a sensor in the socket below the chip. Therefore, the actual core temp may be several degrees higher.

FYI, the Athlon 4 does (finally! :) ) have an on die temp sensor.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I think it should also be mentioned that the quality of the temperature sensors can vary wildly from mobo to mobo. The only answer you should feel confident in is one you make yourself, most likely made with a high grade thermometer.

·
Registered
526 Posts
well where i live the electricity bills are damn cheap... secondly we dont have to pay for the electricity bills :D...
so i was thinking of over clocking my voodoo 3 2000 to a 204 mhz and then place my cpu infront of the A\C ...that would help ... well will it :D.. let seee

·
Registered
513 Posts
>that would help ... well will it
I suppose so, but for maximum effect you'd have to remove the case and in doing so you're exposing your computer to both the elements of the room and allowing EMF radiation to leak out. Of course, I should also mention that having a large load motor (like those in the A/C) and a computer on the same circuit can cause a whole host of problems.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
If your computer isn't running at least 200 degrees Fahrenheit, you must be doing something wrong...

j/k :p

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by cluthu
>that would help ... well will it
I suppose so, but for maximum effect you'd have to remove the case and in doing so you're exposing your computer to both the elements of the room and allowing EMF radiation to leak out. Of course, I should also mention that having a large load motor (like those in the A/C) and a computer on the same circuit can cause a whole host of problems.
Hey i got the sides of my case open
but thats cuz im playing around inside of it too much
but i dont think that keeping the case on will block any of the EMF from leaking out. Also, you probably get more EMF from the monitor that your staring at than the main computer that is down by your feet.

·
Registered
513 Posts
>but i dont think that keeping the case on will block any of the
>EMF from leaking out
Sure it does. For proof try using a radio set to the AM band while the case is open. Compare to how it sounds with the case off. All that extra static and noise is the result of errant EMF radiation.

Of course, closing your case is good for other, more readily apparent reasons, such as preventing errant materials from getting on your mobo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my cpu is a nice 60C (63C after 48 off Q3)

but I dont wory cause my defult alarm is 100C so unless your cpu is boiling watter dont worry about it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My Opinion

The normal average of CPUs (w/o o'cing)

INTEl : about 35-40 celcius

AMD : about 43-52 celcius

you know, AMD creates more heat than Intels. But this is an average settings on P3, Celeron, and Tbird and Duron

Both on idle, and using standard Cooling Fan

Mine is Duron 750 (not o/c) and using Thermal take Mini Superorb, getting a stable 32-35 celcius even after 2 hours of 3dMark 2000 (default) and 30 minutes of 3dMark2001 (default) - its kinda boring watching 3dmark 2001 more than 10 minutes (too short- and the bg music is better on 3dmark 2000), can't stand it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
My cpu runs at about 82 deg F when i am just goofing around, but when plaing some games (giants and whatnot), it jups to about 110 deg f.

All of this is with the intel cooling fan. I have a sensor below the die, and one ontop(or as close as i could get it without interfearing with the heatsink).

In all actuallity, i belive that the intel fans on the PIII are as good as they get.. I put an orb on there and it didn't do as good of a job as the boxed fan.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a cooling fan on my CPU, a cooling fan on one of my motherboard's two chips, a cooling fan on my GEForce 2 GTS, plus my power supply fan. W/all this, the hottest my CPU temp gets is 54 degrees celsius. I'm running an Athlon T-Bird 1.2 ghz on a Soyo SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
680 Posts
hey sxamiga, why don't u use water cooling system instead? Can gives you about 10 celcius down with stable performance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I remember when they showed how to make a water cooling system for your computer in Maximum PC.. Aren't thoes messy? Does anyone have one? Where did you get it? Or did you make it???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts