Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey there :) i kinda just registered to ask this because i couldnt find that much info from the forum haha, im interested in taking programming class and one of my main things i want to do is pick up cxbx, but whats missing? i mean like whats needed for it to be actually able to emulate the xbox completely? i mean hardware definitely isnt a problem anymore :L i just want to know as much as possible, i really want to help this project someday >.<

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Well, until you learn programming and learn to like it (scratch that, love it), it wouldn't make much sense to you now, or would it? :)

What's missing? Full blown hardware emulation, which is what is really required to emulate this thing. HLE is insufficient and even though it sounds cool, it's really held this project back.

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OH MY GOD, i think i just had a braingasm when i read you commented on this thread!! O: blueshogun im your biggest fan!! i think this just made my day :')
and ive always thought about that regarding cxbx in a way too o: like if it were made to work like most psx and dreamcast emulators by simulating the hardware and requiring the bios i guess it'd have gone somewhere :s

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Fan? I didn't know I had fans, lol! :lol:

Btw, this is going to sound super nerdy, but this is my 5344th post (5344 was an XDK version, one I do have btw).

·
GET OVER HERE
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude!! for whats left of the xbox emulation scene you're a hero! scratch that more like a god.
i know this is off topic but you represent to me, and to probably every other person thats loved the original xbox the last form of hope for the xbox not dying off and vanishing into history to never be remembered :$ like honestly knowing that you still occasionally work on xenoborg and cxbx makes me think that someday in the future people will still be able to play the xbox's great games, the same way we play atari 2700 and snes games more than 30 years after they've been forgotten :L

and haha thats cool :p ive never really understood whats the differences between all the various XDK versions though xD and sorry for the late reply btw >.<

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well Im also sort of a Fan, :p maybe not your biggest. But I think its in place to post it here. Where do you need help in the cxbx emu or Xenoborg that you are not currently working on?
I myself doing some studies on the Mcpx (yeah you know me from AG) and currently doing File-system analysis and recovery (also for the xb360). not completly necesary for an Emu, but I like to do research into the kernelcalls of the filesystem and I saw that you "hardwired" the MU in your Dash example run. (I love that :p dirty trick to make something work)

Anyway, I know most ppl just talk and never do, so before i say to much im gonna wrap my reseach into a nice website and compile some sample code (wich I hope will work on the Cxbx aswell.) best use the 4627 xdk right? thats the earliest final i have.

Also need to compile your latest build, my recent shift to win7 is not working out right. and lost a complete xp install with cxbx i compiled (Not a big loss, but lost some working test code i made)

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Thought this would be a good place to ask...
shogun have you tried extracting the kernel from your xbox and looking at it under ida pro? If you haven't, I found a great tool that can get the job done but it only works on debug versions of the xbox

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Well Im also sort of a Fan, :p maybe not your biggest. But I think its in place to post it here. Where do you need help in the cxbx emu or Xenoborg that you are not currently working on?
I myself doing some studies on the Mcpx (yeah you know me from AG) and currently doing File-system analysis and recovery (also for the xb360). not completly necesary for an Emu, but I like to do research into the kernelcalls of the filesystem and I saw that you "hardwired" the MU in your Dash example run. (I love that :p dirty trick to make something work)

Anyway, I know most ppl just talk and never do, so before i say to much im gonna wrap my reseach into a nice website and compile some sample code (wich I hope will work on the Cxbx aswell.) best use the 4627 xdk right? thats the earliest final i have.

Also need to compile your latest build, my recent shift to win7 is not working out right. and lost a complete xp install with cxbx i compiled (Not a big loss, but lost some working test code i made)
With Cxbx you can do whatever since there's stuff to do in all areas, but for Xenoborg, it's mostly about finding a stable CPU emulation method. Since most of my time is being devoted elsewhere atm (IRL stuff), I haven't had the time to sit back and try to emulate x86 properly. Since x86 is such a massive instruction set, it would take a long time to write a dynarec core from scratch. I would like to do a VM, but I think I'd need an x86-64 OS, which I currently don't have due to the fact that I can't build a new machine or because my laptop is [email protected]#%ed up in the BIOS area so I'm stuck with XP. IIRC, I'd also need driver level access (which shouldn't be a problem), but in some areas, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around intel's VMX. So it's the x86 part that's been holding me back the most. I had a direct code execution method similar to Xeon's going, but it was not only too difficult to maintain, there was the dreaded FS register problem to deal with.

Yeah, Cxbx works best with 4627 and 4721. 4361 works good too, but the rest can be rather iffy sometimes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry if this is known fact, but both QEMU and MAME have a X86 code.
Could it be used as a starting point?

Good luck and hail to the XBOX emulator(s) scene!

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
IIRC, I'd also need driver level access (which shouldn't be a problem), but in some areas, I still have a hard time wrapping my head around intel's VMX. So it's the x86 part that's been holding me back the most. I had a direct code execution method similar to Xeon's going, but it was not only too difficult to maintain, there was the dreaded FS register problem to deal with.
Using x86 virtualization for an xbox emulator would be amazing. Do you have any idea if it's suitable for perfect CPU emulation or are there some drawbacks of using it?

Btw, I'm still checking xenoborg's googlecode page for changes from time to time, but at this stage it's too early for me to do any GPU work :p

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Sorry if this is known fact, but both QEMU and MAME have a X86 code.
Could it be used as a starting point?

Good luck and hail to the XBOX emulator(s) scene!
Someone is already using QEMU, and it's working, somewhat.

Using x86 virtualization for an xbox emulator would be amazing. Do you have any idea if it's suitable for perfect CPU emulation or are there some drawbacks of using it?

Btw, I'm still checking xenoborg's googlecode page for changes from time to time, but at this stage it's too early for me to do any GPU work :p
Since I'm stuck on x86-32 and XP, I can't write the KVM that I've been wanting to. Need x86-64.

The googlecode page is old, very old. The code is very different now.

·
Dolphin dev
11 Posts
Someone is already using QEMU, and it's working, somewhat.

Since I'm stuck on x86-32 and XP, I can't write the KVM that I've been wanting to. Need x86-64.

The googlecode page is old, very old. The code is very different now.
Eh, and all this time I thought you were just busy with cxbx (... and obviously rl stuff) :p

Is there any up to date public repository available or is it just on your hdd?

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Eh, and all this time I thought you were just busy with cxbx (... and obviously rl stuff) :p

Is there any up to date public repository available or is it just on your hdd?
I am busy rl and add a few occasional cxbx update. That doesn't mean I have been working on xenoborg every day, or have touched it in the last few months. Had some time out, so I dedicated a bit to a few quick updates. :p

Is there anything hindering you from commiting code at least once every day you make changes?
Laziness and a bit of a memory problem. I frequently forget things, even things emu related.

·
Registered
75 Posts
so does xenoborg work better than cxbx?
No, not really. He and a few other fork members (of the various Git builds on the open-source download pages) are focusing more on the CXBX emulator as it stands for now. There is a new competitor that sprung up, which is called XQEMU. It's a spin-off of the versatile multi-systems emulator QEMU but made to emulate the Xbox (first) console. It's not that far in, but both seem to be the active emulators being worked on at the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like blueshogun would like/needs a newer computer with win7 x64 on it to try out new ideas. What would be the minimum specs one would need for dev work? Dual core, like a late gen core 2 or newer? GPU? I wonder if people would donate to getting you a better machine with win7 x64 on it, whether it be old or new. Just an idea.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts