Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Sony (The REAL Company) break down the permissions on using Emulators?.....Have they THEMSELVES, posted any official documentation anywhere? There are lots of different opinions and rumors going around about what is legal and what is not, regarding usage of ePSXe.....frankly I'm confused. If someone could throw me a bone, or post a link, I'd appreciate it:D

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Here's an old article from The Register:

Bleem beats Sony • The Register

In summation, Bleem (the emulator) was ruled as not infringing any Sony copyrights.

When it comes to games and BIOS, Sony holds the copyrights to those, but in the US, we're allowed to maintain a copy of these for backup/archival purposes. So long as the BIOS comes from your own PSX and your game is dumped from your own CD, you're within the bounds of US Fair Use laws. :)

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
because thats what pirates do, they share copyrighted material. they upload their own copies (games, console BIOS, etc.) for others to download.

edit- as said before though, images come from your own discs, its like ripping the tracks off a music cd. BIOS are dumped from your own console. the links below explain how the process is done. all of this is perfectly legal provided they are made from your own games or consoles, not someone elses.

http://forums.ngemu.com/misc-psx-discussion/34515-how-make-perfect-backup-psx-games.html

http://forums.ngemu.com/misc-psx-discussion/93161-psx-bios-dumping-guide.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What if you've purchased a Playstation game but lost the disk, are you then allowed to download another image?

And, what if the Playstation you own is not functional, are you then allowed to download a BIOS image?

Edit: thanks for the link on dumping & backup procedure

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
no, you are downloading someone elses backup when you do that, which violates the copyright because while you are entitled to have one, it must be from your own material.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, thx

While I'm thinking about it, why haven't the websites, who make these images available been banned from the Internet ??? You'd think someone would catch on and do something about it.

·
God of Douchebagness™
15,294 Posts
imo its because they know it cant be stopped no matter what they do, its a waste of money, time, and manpower to persecute each and every individual site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.