Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm running an Athlon X2 with a Radeon X800 256MB and 1GB of RAM and everything works great. Except the emulation. I guess most of the emulator development projects have seriously slowed down, which is fine for NES and SNES emulation, but on PSX emus I'm having trouble finding a good plugin configuration. My N64 emulator doesn't seem to be working well, either, but I think that problem is unrelated.

I've been trying to use Pete's GPU plugins or the P.E.Op.S. GPU plugin, but the former have rendering problems and the latter is heavily pixelated.

Maybe it has something to do with switching to Windows XP, but I don't recall having many problems with my old, slow computer. It was just a matter of finding the right configuration--even if it didn't look great, it was more than playable. This one, I've pressed all the buttons and it still doesn't want to work.

Thanks!

·
The one and only
4,074 Posts
with that pressing all the buttons problem, try restarting the computer i think thats what i did and it started working again.

·
Registered
654 Posts
The X2 is a multi-core processor, yes? You need to make ePSXe.exe run all its threads on a single core. Visit the following link and search the page for "hyperthreading":

http://www.quandaryland.com/jsp/dispArticle.jsp?filename=/help/Steves_XP_Games_Corner.htm&articleType=Help!+Page&title=Steve's+XP+Games+Corner

Also, you're going to need different configs for different games. Try going up to the "PSX Emulation" forum level and searching on the name of the game you want to play. If you get too many hits, try adding "OGL2" as a keyword.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
and as for your plugin configuration, for PSX anyway, you can use Pete's OpenGL2 with the "nice" preset (and very high Y), Eternal 1.41 SPU (just lower the buffer, SPUasync --> smooth) and you should be set.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dbhankins: I haven't had a problem with ePSXe locking up, but I'm glad you showed this to me.

hushypushy: Thanks for the heads-up on the OpenGL2 plugin. Apparently the only one I didn't have.

Eternal is my SPU plug-in of choice, but I didn't think to lower the buffer. How low do you think should I set it?

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
MalachiConstant said:
Eternal is my SPU plug-in of choice, but I didn't think to lower the buffer. How low do you think should I set it?
well, not sure. i have mine at 30 and it's just fine (im using an Athlon 2500+ @ 2.1 ghz). i know that faster CPUs can use smaller buffers, but i'm not quite sure what the advantages are of a smaller buffer, exactly....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've known the buffer issue to be related to sync issues in the past, but I don't imagine a buffer that's so small anyway would create noticeable sync issues, especially considering most Playstation games don't have facial dialogue animations, which is the most noticeable of all sync issues.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
i used to keep it at default (64) and never had any problems. i lowered it to 30 for some odd reason and i never had a reason to change it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just lowered mine to 32 anyway. Seems to be running fine. I wouldn't advise going below 16. I dropped it down to 8 just to experiment with it, and the sound quality was undesirable. Then again, I'm only using onboard sound.

And dbhankins, I did run the single-threading fix on ePSXe, as well as a couple of other programs (because I've known of the hyperthreading/multithreading issue before).

As a side note, for DOS software, do you happen to know if DOSBox resolves the threading issue itself?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't know about DosBox's threading model. I for one would be surprised if it were multithreaded. If it is, you should be able to apply the same fix to dosbox.exe and that will fix that particular issue for any programs you run in it.

I don't have multicore, but I do have hyperthreading and that fix has helped with a couple of programs. I have not needed as yet to modify DosBox. The programs I run in it seem fine (Alone in the Dark 1,2,3, Frontier, Wing Commander 1,3).

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Mine came on 5.25" floppies (!) and the seller was kind enough to include a CD with the contents burned on it. Amazon or eBay are the places to look. If you're willing to spend the money, though, the one to get is the rare "Kilrathi Saga", which has 1, 2, and 3 all on CDs.

Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.