Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone that is testing Dxbx, please read on :

In our development efforts on Dxbx, we're well aware that only a very small set of titles work in our emulator.
Even though we're thrilled that many are interested in our little project, we can't really do much with reports on not-working titles.

However, what we _are_ interested in, is a mention of any title (not mentioned before) that _is_ somewhat responsive;

For example, we know that Crash Bandicoot, Myst III and Blade 2 do show initial graphics and/or the intro movie. Rayman Arena even reaches it's menu's. But that's about it.

So if anyone gets *something* out of a title, and you haven't read anything about it on this forum, then please report it!

This will help us focus our efforts to improve these titles to get at least one step further.

Our thanks already go out to the people that have been supporting us (testing titles and reporting back), like JoaoHadouken, Bill_gates and all others that support us!

PS: I'd also be interested if anyone is actually playing the titles that we support now, and if it's enjoyable?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Should these reports go in this topic or in a separate thread for each? (might want to clarify this first!)

EDIT: Ok, I think we know the answer to that thanks to this update on the Dxbx site. Basically, post stuff in this linked topic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey. Patrick, can you, or somebody else (Tabai, ShadowTJ?) please post that information that you'd typed up in a forum thread here within the past month probably about how we could help deliver the obscure symbols/functions (I don't know which one, or if it's something else entirely - 'function pattern-files' as noted in the FAQ list?) into the resources folder of the dxbx sourceforge page?

You were talking about the problem of how some games do differ from each other in that some of their symbol versions are a little bit different from some of the other comparable games. That's why you'd pleaded for us to help you in that way by testing other games. It's not the part where we just simply type out the XDK number of each game - no. It's where we'd have to create log files of the obscure symbol/function version numbers, and then send them to the sourceforge folder, or whatever.

But the problem after reading that paragraph of yours was the last 2 steps or so were fairly confusing, coz it seems kinda hard from then on to know what to do next, and where to click on in the emulator. So that could be clarified up, too.

It can be posted permanently in the XbeExplorer section under the Information tab in the official The official Dxbx site. It'd be a great help to any of us in learning said procedures. Makes things quicker for you. Or should we just consult the Contact Us page?

* P.S. The IDA Pro tool is needed to do the above steps.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the interest, and yes, there are indeed quite a lot of things not yet fully documented. To take these questions one at a time :

Because I expect the traffic to be quite low, you can probably best report in this thread for now. (I'm a pragmatic person ;) )

There are two solutions for the missing XDK patterns :

1) Anyone with access to an actual XDK that's not supported yet by Dxbx, could run my PatternTrieBuilder tool; It will create the needed pattern files for us, which can then be added to our collection.

2) Patterns can also be created manually; Use XbeExplorer, open an xbe that's linked (not using LTCG) to an XDK that we miss and try to find functions by hand. To find them, you can read the symbol detection log that Dxbx generated and look for symbols that are tested frequenty at the same location, but fail the tests repeatedly. It could well be that the symbol should indeed reside at that address, but we just miss the pattern. So go to that address in the disassembly tab of XbeExplorer and see if the assembly code indeed resembles the symbols function (for example by comparing it against another title that did find the same symbol, for another XDK - preferrably a close version). If you're positive about that, select the first line of the function and use the popup menu to extract a pattern to the clipboard. Paste all the symbols that you've collected in a file and email these to us (please try to use the correct symbol name when creating the exports).

So you don't even need to use IDA Pro after all ;-)

As I said: thanks for all the interest, I hope that together we can take this very far! Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi !
Here are the dumps for Amped NTSC.
Tested on 7 x64 and in a VM (virtualbox) XP x32. Black screen and no graphics... so I don't think this dump will be useful...

Anyway, thanks a lot for this emu !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
mm okay my bad... but is it supposed to work in a VM (32 bit guest OS) ?

This month, the Oddbox was released, with two games from the original xbox (Oddworld : Munch Odyssee and The stranger). Could those games be of any help for dxbx ? Do you know how those games have been ported on PC ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, it works in a VM as long as it has Direct3D acceleration. VMWare Workstation 6.5+ running Windows XP SP2 32-bit on Windows 7 64-bit run both Cxbx and Dxbx just fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mm okay my bad... but is it supposed to work in a VM (32 bit guest OS) ?

This month, the Oddbox was released, with two games from the original xbox (Oddworld : Munch Odyssee and The stranger). Could those games be of any help for dxbx ? Do you know how those games have been ported on PC ?
Yes, I was going to mention these games in a new thread just now. Oddworld Inhabitants has generously released the PC ports of those games on Steam for us on the 21st of Dec (Just over a week ago!). If you've ever wanted to play one or both of those games in the next few months then now is the time, coz they're discounted at 25% off.

The paragraph above sounds like a PR stunt, but NO, it's not! I noticed it a few days ago. Now there's this news (Update on Oddboxx PC tech issues) about how the developer has fixed some of the PC issues, including ones which causes the Munch Oddysee to crash. Interestingly, PatrickVL, if you go there you'll read that there's an ATI problem which still has not been fixed, and that the team is working with ATI to try to resolve this issue. I don't know about you, but I think that bodes well for your DXBX, as you're not alone in discovering and trying to resolve the ATI cards-related problems with a variety of old games that were built on the older-generation DirectX games.

... Though those playable Xbox games, and others to come in the future could work better, when the DXBX has fully working D3D9 support, on ATI cards.

* Note: You may want to check the Steam forum thread link in the news article above first before purchasing (it's very long) http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1668248 about the problems that many users have originally encountered after release of the 2 latest Oddworld games. And the developer is "Just Add Water", while the publisher is "Oddworld Inhabitants" I think.

The developer has promised to add the improved graphics of the incoming PS3 port into the PC port in the future.

·
将軍
558 Posts
patrick, I saw the official compatibility list and its missing Dead or Alive 3, I have the Japan version (XDX 4134) so tell me if I can be of help testing it.

EDIT: ups, I forgot to tick the "untested" category :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts