Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi mates!
Well it looks like today is my lucky day =P I managed to get my hands on a copy of Planescape:Torment =) After work I'll go and pick Vampire:Bloodlines up as well. Now I have few other games waiting for me as well and I really can't decide and I'm not a person that can play 2 or more games at the same time so a little help would save me =P

So games are:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldurs Gate 2 + Expansion
3. Anachronox
4. Arcanum
5. Vampire: Bloodlines

There you go... I have never played/tried either of them (Played BG1 only) and I thought I must catch up with all those great games I missed...

I really can't decide which one to play first... It's your pick guys!

Thank you for your time!

P.S.
Any Planescape fans around here... IIRC there are some fan made patches that I should install over the official 1.1 one (I have 4CDs version). Man this weekend will be great !!!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I'm sure you'll see Kaiser here any time soon.

I really enjoyed playing Baldur's Gate 2, you should really play it! :)

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
Play Baldurs Gate 2 and the expansion first, it's a really grand RPG, besides you played the first one already.

That list is awesome though, no matter what you play, I think you'll have a blast since they are all great games except Vampire Bloodlines which I haven't played so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
10,223 Posts
My all time favourite game is on that list... and here's a small dialog of two characters playing 20 questions
boots: that's 20 questions, haha you guys lose... its anachronox stupid
dr: but you said it started with a "u"
boots: yeah, so?

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Where the bloody hell is Fallout? Next to the BG series is one of the best PC RPGs out there... other than those I'd also try Icewind Dale I and II for some fun of dungeon crawler action with D&D gameplay.

Also, Baldur's Gate II's lifespan can be greatly extended with the dizillion of mods available for it.

As for the order of the games you posted I'd suggest as follow:

1. Planescape: Torment
2. Baldurs Gate 2 + Expansion
3. Vampire: Bloodlines
4. Anachronox

I didn't like Arcanum, if you feel like trying Fallout 1 and 2 I'd place them in Nº1. Mainly so you can go ascending on the graphics... I don't know if you would like to switch from the graphics of Anachronox to the ones of Fallout 1.

·
Souless Angel
900 Posts
You know, I never hear anyone speak of Arx Fatalis...I might just be the sole liker of that game.

If you get a chance and can find a copy, try Septerra Core, as well.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I'm just getting 'into' Baldar's Gate II
I have the expansion pack as well...

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
What about another all-time favourite? The Diablo series? I loved them to bits. I have never played Fall-Out, BG1 or 2, um....none of the games listed by Melhisedek....oh, except for Anachronox.

r2rX :(

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thx guys!
Well Kaiser I really respect your opinion on RPG games (among some other things) so your list will probably the closest one to one I'll play =)

I never actually tried any of the IWD games so I'll try to get them as well. Now Fallout, I saw my buddy starting to play Fallout I, and there was just to many options at the start and it looked like he wasn't paying much attention on what he was choosing (It was his 15326235 time playing through a game) and after that I didn't get much of the game really so I was kinda turned down and never thought about them more... But if Kaiser says Fallout than... Who am I to question =)

Well I played Diablo 1/2+xp and NWN+xp and KOTOR. Those and BG and you have my Computer RPG career in a nuttshell :) (I'm more of a console RPG player) I really liked BG but somehow I failed to start playing BG2 :( Now I've stocked with RPGs and will have great time for at least 6 months =P

Any other games a cRPG player should "taste" before he/she dies ? =) Please feel free to recommend!

Thank you for your time!

P.S. Arx Fatalis... I think my buddy should have that one not sure but will check as soon as he wakes up =) Sadly I can't find Septerra Core anywhere (checked on web) But if it's a good game I'll have my sister check in Capital city as she had to do for Planescape =P Man that game was hard to find :(

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Melhisedek said:
I saw my buddy starting to play Fallout I, and there was just to many options at the start and it looked like he wasn't paying much attention on what he was choosing (It was his 15326235 time playing through a game) and after that I didn't get much of the game really so I was kinda turned down and never thought about them more
Well i guess in terms of options before starting a game if you taught Fallout had a lot of them wait till you see BG2 or something based of AD&D rules.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Melhisedek said:
I never actually tried any of the IWD games so I'll try to get them as well. Now Fallout, I saw my buddy starting to play Fallout I, and there was just to many options at the start and it looked like he wasn't paying much attention on what he was choosing (It was his 15326235 time playing through a game) and after that I didn't get much of the game really so I was kinda turned down and never thought about them more... But if Kaiser says Fallout than... Who am I to question =)
Well try IWD only if you are looking for some fast paced action, IWD is mainly battle oriented. You create a party and then go out on hack and slash actions at dungeons and the like. It's a really entertaining game only if you enjoy dungeon crawling action. If you liked Diablo II you will definitely like this one as it's not so tedious and repetitive (neither in the short and long terms... Diablo II kind of becomes tiring after you finish the game on the fisrt difficulty level) and its much more challenging.

As for the Fallout series the reason why it's so loved amongst PC gamers (and loathed amongst most console gamers :p) is the huge amount of options you have. Basically you can do whatever you want, you have a trait system for your character which is really complex and allows you to develop very particular characters which will react differently to a situation on the game. If you found the diversity of options to be appalling then I suggest that you skip as it doesn't get any prettier later on the game ;)

Melhisedek said:
Well I played Diablo 1/2+xp and NWN+xp and KOTOR. Those and BG and you have my Computer RPG career in a nuttshell :) (I'm more of a console RPG player) I really liked BG but somehow I failed to start playing BG2 :( Now I've stocked with RPGs and will have great time for at least 6 months =P(
If you liked BG I assure you that you will grow to like BGII a lot, the game is much more extensive than BGI and it doesn't feature idle walks around maps to get from point A to point B.
If you are more of a console RPG adept then I suggest that follow Zer0Soul's advice and give Septerra Core a try. If you are lucky to find it (on import stores I suppose) you could try getting Ys Eternal which is a remake of Ys I and II. The games are in Japanese but a 100% translation for Ys I and another of 75% for Ys II are available... again, be forewarned, they are not easy to find. Not on this side of the world at least.

Typhoon 01 said:
Well i guess in terms of options before starting a game if you taught Fallout had a lot of them wait till you see BG2 or something based of AD&D rules.
Not really, complexity wise Fallout wins by far... the only D&D based RPG with a similar number of options is Planetscape Torment. Baldur's Gate is a perfect RPG for D&D based RPGs starters.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
BG for starters? I found BG2 rather difficult for someone who never played a D&D game. But that might be me :p
I think that if I give it another try, I might be able to beat the game :)

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
If you play in Novice or Normal difficulty level you should not have much troubles with it. Baldur's Gate I for example did not allow this and played on a difficulty level similar to Hard in BG II.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
oO
I played it at the easiest level. But it might also have something to do with my choice of character. I wanted to play as a thief since I liked FF9 a lot :p
Next time I'll just play as an uber warrior with a nice spear (Impaler comes to mind ;))

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
I'm currently playing as an Assassin (Thief Kit) and I'm doing mass slaughters with backstab ;)

Though yeah, classes of the fighters' pool are the best for starters... thieves are suitable only if you have a decent grasp of some of the D&D rules.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yup, that's what I figured out when it was too late :rolleyes:

I only I had more time I'd install the game right now but I don't have the time to play it :(

Btw, you have a Radeon card, do you expect me to have the same problems when running it in hardware with my Radeon 9200se?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the time has come =) I'm in search for all Planescape patches/fixes now before I start and'll install the game soon =) Wish me luck!

@Kaiser
Well somehow I've always been afraid of open ended games... I always succed in choosing the hardest path, weakest char and most lousy skills so the game gets incredibly though after some short playing :/ I think that's why I stayed clear of Fallout and Morrowind... I started playing Morrowind some time ago but got stopped by some bug and I just couldn't continue with the story :/ At the same time just doing quests ain't my idea of fun as I like to follow a story so I put the game down. I'll look for Fallout games but I can imagine they'll be hard to get...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maaaan I have never, never even imagined that there is surreal and crazy game like Torment =) Man flying scull is OMG =P

Anyway it looks like I can get my hands on Fallout2, one of my mates has it, it's like scratchy and all but he thinks it should play fine. Thing is I can't find Fallout 1 for the life of me :/ Can I still play 2nd without the 1st one ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts