Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, because of ninor's thread I had some questions about NGEmu's policy towards DC emulation, Chankast in particular.

Ninor's thread got closed because he was referring to warez, I know we have a zero tolerance towards warez so I can understand this measure taken, however when I look at all the other threads it seems a bit unfair.

Take this thread for example. The initial post was referring to the Echelon rip of Skies of Arcadia. If we would enforce the warez related rules properly this thread should've been closed down immediately because we all know the Echelon rip is downloaded. No one who wants to play his games on Chankast will dump his own SoA image, rip/compress it, and put a trailer in it himself only to find out Chankast does not like that version of the game.

Another 'fine' example can be found here where the discussion about the Echelon rip of DOA2 LE is being allowed. The author of the original post didn't even know if it was the Echelon rip or not. If he had dumped the game himself he should've known :rolleyes:

The following is a question to Chrono Archangel who seems to be the most active mod in DC discussion. In this thread someone was referring to a *less legit disc*, I also see you edited his post. I really wonder what was in there before the edit, and if it was about warez, which is pretty obvious IMHO, why didn't the thread get closed?

The purpose of this thread is to gather some information about what is allowed and what is not, here at Emuforums. Ninor's thread seems to be the first one that closed down for asking and talking about Echelon rips while all other members who asked about it got their questions answered.

Hopefully answers and explanations from mods (looking at you Chrono :) ) or even better, Bobbi himself, will shine some light on this grey area here at NGEmu.

Cid H.

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
I just like how certain people can post page after page after page of screenshots that feature current-gen games ripped from their proprietary media running on emulators, and that's fine. When an anonymous person posts about a game on a console that was discontinued a few years ago and most places don't even stock games for it anymore, and they happen to mention they downloaded it, LOCK THAT POST!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's NGEmu's policy, and all we can do is respect it, or find another forum who has less strict rules on piracy. That discussion has been done numerous times and that's not the purpose of this thread.

The purpose of this thread is to give some examples in which this policy has not been followed, and to look for an explanation and solutions for it. So that we don't get anymore situations such as the ones I decribed.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
ok for one, i just think that no one noticed that echelon rip thread (plus it's a year old...if you'd known it was against the rules you should've reported it 12 months ago).

S.SubZero: we have to give people the benefit of the doubt. there is another thread where GCfreak made a windowblinds skin for Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition. Flare85 noted that Enterprise Edition costs $4000. how is a normal person going to be using that? who knows. but any normal person with interest can rip a cartridge or a DC game if they really care.

for example, take the game Valkyrie Profile. it's extremely rare, it didnt sell well back in the day, and it goes for around $170 now on Ebay. so if i see someone post screenshots of it, should we throw up the red flag and and close their thread? we have to give them the benefit of the doubt. i know someone who actually owns that game and i've seen it in person. what if he posted shots? are we to close his thread just based on circumstantial evidence? no.

furthermore, NGemu doesnt have any rules or guidelines about prying. do you want us to ask at EVERY screenshot thread where the game was obtained? should people have to post a picture of their actual game before they post a screenshot? only when it is blatantly obvious (i.e. using 2003 Enterprise edition, or someone actually says it) is it necessary to be suspicious. i have to ask in the PSX section because PSX games are probably the easiest to come by, not to mention that by and large, they are corrupted the most.

Cid: I understand your concern.

The purpose of this thread is to give some examples in which this policy has not been followed, and to look for an explanation and solutions for it.
the explanation is that sometimes, mods mess up, or dont even see threads at all. last year, RB wasnt a mod IIRC. therefore, no mods or admins posted on that thread. so, if no mods posted on that thread, perhaps no one saw it. and regular users cant close threads, right? in fact, you posted on that thread, and you knew it was illegal. so why didnt you do anything about it? in the US you are guilty of a crime too, you are an accomplice for watching the event happen and not doing anything about it. you've been here long enough, you know how the PM system and report post system works, right? so there is your explanation. sometimes mods just dont catch it. it happens. that's why PM/report post was invented.

and as for solutions? just PM an admin or go into our channels on IRC (#ngemu for general use, #hushypushy to find me, etc) when you see something going on that needs to be closed.

and for goodness' sake, lighten up. dont be suspicious of every person who shows a screenshot or an interest in emulation. or else i might have to reply to every one of your threads harassing you over where you got your games, BIOSes, et al ;)

PS. im closing this thread because that's the final word. no more discussion. im 99.99% sure i answered all questions and concerns, and there doesnt need to be a round table discussion about it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.