Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've searched a bit and couldn't really find what I needed, thus this thread. Basically I'm wondering what system spec. you'd need to get full speed with SSF (say playing Guardian Heroes)? Also, is there a FAQ/guide to the settings of SSF?
My system (see signature) gets around ~40FPS in bios and ~30FPS in game, with frame skipping turned off, and all other settings unchanged. I've read that Cooliscool is able to get full speed (I don't know if his frameskip is on) with his 3.73Ghz system, and I believe he has an Radeon 9800pro IIRC. So which part of my system is the bottleneck?
Thank you.

·
KO'ed User
935 Posts
I think it would be the processor as i'm running @ 3.2Ghz and Radeon Mobillity 7000 and lot of games run preety good. But in the end, i think it still depends on the emulator and the game your running as i get Daytona USA very smooth and Nights tends to slow down quite frequently. That is with the frameskip on.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The emulator uses no hardware acceleration, only the CPU matters. The author did state previously that the most cpu intensive games ran at full speed on his Athlon 64 X2 4400 so I guess theres your recommended system spec.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Yeah, I get fullspeed in almost any game supported.. Guardian Heroes is at 60FPS at all times, while Nights can be a little slow at intensive parts. I keep frameskip off, audio on (with a 2048ms buffer.. anything lower is crackly), and be sure to set the Slave SH2 speed to 100, from default 75. SSF is multithreaded, and I have HT, which helps too.

Definitely a CPU bottleneck. SSF doesn't use much more than the processor for work. A good thing to look at would be overclocking. ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I actually tried OC. I don't think my mobo locks PCI/AGP bus, so it doesn't go stable over 3.0Ghz at 143FSB. Hum, isn't there some sort of "divider" the mobo use to calculate the PCI/AGP bus, so some number would be more stable than others? If someone could point me to a guide on that, I'd appreciate it. I also tried to just set the FSB to 200 with jumpers (since the board is cheap, so I can only go to 165FSB in bios), won't boot up. My CPU temp is idling at 27'C though, I believe it can go further.

Never realized SSF is entirely software rendered, that's pretty amazing. Kudos to the author.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.