Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take a quick poll.
what SPU do you use the most?

The last poll conducted was by psxemu.com some months ago, but since then several new SPU plugins have come out

I would like to hear some of your comments about your expirence with different SPU's too.

as a side note: I'm using Prodigy SPU which works with the majority of game I own, except FF8; the internal SPU works better for that game on my system.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
The internal gives me the best overall quality.
Also,I don't like the way you have to configure other plugins,the internam one has no config and works great,why do the others needs a config?

·
Registered
182 Posts
yup... the Internal SPU is the best in config and reliability, yesterday night I tried all of them... none comparable to internal... the iori's one really slowdown the emulation....

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's true, the internal spu is the one with the best compatibility,
but, he is very suffisant, the quality is bad,
The other can get better quality, but you have to make several config for each game you play...

It's strange, i've got ePSXe but I don't play any game, in fact I just config it for my little brother, who actually play FF9, And I can say that Iori is the one I use Most, It work great for GT2 And FF9, with <b>NO</b> slowdown!!!

Config:
Duron [email protected] [good OC isn't it??? :D]
Geforce 2 MX
128 PC 133
SBLive 5.1....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Iori's gives me best in-game sound and music but stutters in GT2 MDEC.
internal SPU gives no stutters anywhere but weird varying pitch.

I don't watch the MDEC anymore (and I watched it in VGS because it played best) so I use Iori's.

The whole point of config (in any software) is so that if you have a better machine you can have better quality, and otherwise you can lower the quality to get better speed. It is a very simple concept, guys.

The internal SPU core has no config because it's low quality (better speed and compatiblity) only.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I actually perfer the internal SPU, But... it's missing reverb effects which make most games sound too dry. so I use Pete's Directsound SPU (Not the best reverb, but it has better compatibility--No sticking notes--)

Once reverb is added to the internal SPU, I am sure I will more than likely use it exclusively.

It's just a shame that SPU/GPU and cd rom access timing can't be sped up more...most Sound slowdowns are due to cd rom accesses combined with texture uploads going on at the same time. Ahhhh the limits of PC's...even with faster CPU's they still can't compensate for parallel circuits and the advantages they reap.

S

·
0 Posts
I use Iori's SPU due to the fact that it gives all sounds and music. No other spu, except for Pete's does this. The problem w/Pete's is that, in Chrono Trigger, sounds stick and don't end. After a while, the sound becomes unbareable. In FF4, w/Pete's, the sound in Battles plays way to fast. I was given some suggestions for this, but they did not seem to help. Iori's SPU does not have these problems.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I don't own too many games. The internal SPU works great but it has some limitations. That is why I like to use different SPU's.

sxamiga, what settings are you using for FF9 in Iori's SPU?

·
Blitz Gundam Pilot
1,014 Posts
Pete's Direct Sound SPU is the best!!!!!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'm using Null cause of the Final Fantasy VII VIII & IX!! It works great for those games!

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Metalmurphy
I'm using Null cause of the Final Fantasy VII VIII & IX!! It works great for those games!
Would it be some "unofficial" version?:wink:

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Nop... it's not unoficial.... it's Null2's 1.3.4...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup thats the same version of Null's that i use playing FFIX, works great. I have tried all the other SPU's even Iroi's 1.45(1) and none seam to compare with Null2's 1.34 with this config:

48000, 16Bit
50 Buffer Lenth
6 Block
Reverb On
Force VAG 48kHz On
Enable VAG stream On
Linear Interpolation On

The ONLY problem i have had is in MDECs once and awhile. I had origonaly played the game on a REAL playstation, so i had a very good idea of what the sound SHOULD be. IMHO Null2's is the most accurate. PS FFIX is the only FF line that i have ever enjoyed playing a second time. Think i might have enjoyed FFVII a second time but i never got the chance to play it again. And FFVIII just plain sucked.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I use null's, I use the generic settings posted in lordjames's (whatever happend to him?) FAQ for version 1.35.
Seems to work best with FF9.
Buffer 40
Block 5
SPU Hack OFF

MGS works better with this setting
Buffer 60
Block 6
SPU Hack OFF

Prodigy does sound a smidge better, but it lacks save states :(
here is my settings for FF9
Buffer 30
Block 5
SPU hack ON

These SPU's seem to benifit some particular games than others.
Thank God for eXecutor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I use both Iori's and Pete's Dsound spu plugins. Iori's works best for some games, but it doesn't work with Castlevania - Chronicles, and miss some speechs in Alone in the Dark. Pete's work best for Castlevania - chronicles and is the only that shows some speech at the screen title in Alone in the Dark. Each has its advantages and problems. And the internal spu has bad noisy, very ugly to my ears...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had to reply to a carrotroot post =P

In any case it truly depends on which game you're playing. No one SPU does it all in my opinion. Like others stated in this thread Null2's SPU gives outstanding performance in Final Fantasy games. The internal SPU while most compatible has the least in sound quality. Iori's and Pete's are what I use for most games. Null2's I use for primarily Final Fantasy as it has weird issues with mdec's in most other games.

You have to mess around with each game you try individually to see how it plays against the original. My advice would be to keep a PSX handy so you can compare whenever is needed.

Nice to see ya liq =)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts