Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've tried them all, but I can't get decent sound in FF9 in ePSXe 1.4. The Graphics are great, the speed is fantastic (after setting the max. FPS, because playing at 180FPS is a bit too fast...:D). What I still need is decent sound. If somebody can tell me which plugin to use and how to set it up I would be gratefull!

Another question: does somebody know where in Europe (I would prefer in Austria or Germany) where to buy a PSX2USB converter for playing with an PSX Controller. Is there a way to use the PS2 (I think they look cool) Controllers on the PC?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I used the old NUlls spus before and it worked great with ff9....only there were a few crashing bugs with the spu with ff9 at certain points in the game..... Epsxe internal spu seems to be fixed a little.... The sounds are better this time around but the looping sound bug is still there..... Not as much as before but still there..... Still, the sounds are pretty decent on my system..... I say just test out some of those new spus.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I plan to try tonight the new Prodigy SPU (based on Nulls plugin). I've been using with fantastic results on EPSXE140 on games which are pretty demanding in terms of sound (eg MGSolid).
Will let you know !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check this thread for a run down on the spu's that were availiable at the time! it excludes the Prodigy one which works well! (because it wasn't released then) :) but it should help!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Prodigy SPU 0.1 right now, it's damn amazing!

oh yeah, to benny I got MGS to sounding nearly PERFECT now!

Use FPSE here are the settings

Compiler mode ON

SPU Prodigy 0.1
Buffer 25
Block 3

Pete's GPU
FPS Limiter ON
Auto FPS ON
Gamefixes
FPS Calculation OFF (FPSE compiler is very fast don't this option)
Frame Buffer ON

CD Plugin
Native FPSE plugin (for win2k)
Enable Sector Cache: 512 sectors
Speed selector set to fastest

or

Pete's CD plugin (for win9x users...not tested much though)

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
About you PSX2PC converter question,yes you can use PS2 controllers with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use Null2's 1.34 (not the latest 1.35) you can get it here..
http://www.psxemu.com/null/download/spuNull2_134.zip
http://www.psxemu.com/null for the old support page where u can d/l any of the old versions..
Also, since ePSXe 1.4 i HAVE to enable the SPU hack or i don't get any sound in the FMV MDEC's.. but HAD to disable it in the old versions.. wierd..
That new Prodigy is really good as well, but it almost seems to loud in MDEC's.. and i get a bit of static and popping and it just doen't sound as nice and clear as Null2's 1.34, give it a shot man, heres my settings.. with a SBLIVE 5.1 card:

Select Sound Plugin: Null2's Audio Driver 1.3
[*] Enable Sound
[] Enable CDDA
[*] Enable XA Sound
[]Enable XA Read
[*]Enable SPU IRQ Hack

Configure:
48000Hz, 16Bit
Buffer Length: 50
Block: 6

[] Use Reverb
[*] Reverse L/R
[*] Force VAG 48kHz
[] Mute XA/VAG Stream
[*] Enable VAG Stream
[] Linear Interpolation

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is off of this topic, but could anyone that responded here tell me what settings they used to get FF9 running? When I start it, it shows the white words "Square Games LLC" or something like that (I forget exactly what it is, but it's just the Squaresoft company name) and then it goes black and doesn't start afterwards.

I can't get it to work.

So, please put up your configs and what settings to check off for GPU, SPU and CDR. I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
deanpoot
this is what i use,
-Petes opengl 1.50
-Null2's 1.34 audio
and i play from cd images (bin/cue ISO's) so i dunno bout the cdr plugin.. ISO's are much better.. play from the Hdd not cdrom so load times are much better =)
If you wanna no how to make a bin, this page shows you.. (its a guide to make a bin/cue files form a VCD, but u can use the same settings for PSX.. its simple.
http://vcdhelp.com/makebin.htm

DrIzzt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Drizzt (nice Forgotten Realms nick, btw).

I'll try it out tonight when I get home (I'm at work right now).

I have ISO Buster, so I'll make an ISO of the CD... it would just be easier for me if I could run it off the CD.

Again, thank you very much. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Np, hope it works, it should.. Cuase I have like a toned down version of your system =)

Duron @ 900
256mb pc-133
Asus v6600 Geforce Deluxe
Win 98 SE

DrIzzt:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well,
Pete's D'sound 1.10 sound 'all around' good with FF9, the only thing that's kinda a miss is the soundeffects....I think it sound better than the core sound. (but I'm running a pretty powerfull System....I think slower systems have slowdowns with his Plugin)

Null2's sound real good for the music, but the movies sound horrible.

I've noticed that GFX buffer on Petes 1.5 with ePSXe 1.4 doesn't work the same as before. It now runs more like emulated Vram mode. Before GFX buffer mode wouldn't slowdown during the menus and would do the swirls pretty fast....now it has the slow music in the menu, and the Swirls go in super slowmotion.....just like if I was emulating the Vram with Full Vram primitives

·
Premium Member
874 Posts
I've noticed that GFX buffer on Petes 1.5 with ePSXe 1.4 doesn't work the same as before. It now runs more like emulated Vram mode
It works exactly like before... so I think you've messed up one of the plugin settings (or maybe you've changed something in the nvidia display properties... maybe you've turned on FSAA...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts