Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of ya'll know, I DON'T play video games. I don't have a problem with them. I just have other things to do.

But I want to start. I think I could use the stress relief. :emb:

I of course had an NES and loved mario and zelda and the like. Had a Playstation as well and loved Crash Bandicoot. I liked Final Fantasy Tactics except for the horrible story line.
I think Halo and Call of Duty look interesting, but I'm afraid of the not-kid-friendly aspects. (Even if the kids aren't playing them, I'm not going to lock them away so I can play them without them seeing stuff.)

What console should a first time, older gamer get? The 5 million buttons on the new controllers is very intimidating.
What games should I try out?
Please keep in mind I'm excessively thrifty. :emb:

·
Registered
71 Posts
As some of ya'll know, I DON'T play video games. I don't have a problem with them. I just have other things to do.

I of course had an NES and loved mario and zelda and the like. Had a Playstation as well and loved Crash Bandicoot. I liked Final Fantasy Tactics except for the horrible story line.
I think Halo and Call of Duty look interesting, but I'm afraid of the not-kid-friendly aspects. (Even if the kids aren't playing them, I'm not going to lock them away so I can play them without them seeing stuff.)

What console should a first time, older gamer get? The 5 million buttons on the new controllers is very intimidating.
Get a GameCube then... great for kids and has all the mario crap u know.... and low $

sbp

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Me personally like the xbox. Many great games for it and its only like 50$ off ebay.
It has the halos 1 and 2 which are good games, and racing, basically every genre of games.

or if your thrifty at getting games cheap, a dreamcast is a decent option. Not thatmany games but they had some quality ones.

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
The nintendo wii and the ds seem very adult (and kid) friendly and are stress relieving, but i'm just going off the commercials I've seen. Personally I'm waiting on the 360 the hit the bargain bin, but it does have considerably more buttons...plus u could download all those fun old-school nintendo games onto the wii for cheap.

edit: i also second the gamecube

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I agree with the idea of the Gamecube, it's cheap, games aren't hard to find, there are a few adult games on the 'Cube, Geist and Eternal Darkness, Mario Sunshine is fun, you can get Zelda TP, OoT & MQ, Zelda 1 & 2 & OoT & MM, and WW. Mario Kart for the 'Cube is fun, so are both Metroid Prime 1 and 2. If you decide to upgrade to a Wii later you can keep and use the controllers, memory sticks, and games. I suggest getting Wavebird controllers if you get a Gamecube, they are very nice wireless controllers, but they may be a bit hard to find.

If you like Retro arcade the three Midway Arcade Treasures are nice on the Gamecube.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we got an Xbox the kids would make me get Rock Band, and then *I* would never get to play any games because they would always be on it. :lol:

The ex had one but he never taught me how to play. Those controllers are very intimidating.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
If we got an Xbox the kids would make me get Rock Band, and then *I* would never get to play any games because they would always be on it. :lol:

The ex had one but he never taught me how to play. Those controllers are very intimidating.
the controllers are easy as pie. I played the xbox when it first came out, i was like 10. Its almost no different from an snes controller. Just 2 extra joystiks. literally.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Controllers are just muscle memory after awhile, you just need to get the feel for it :p

But yeah, get a Gamecube. They're probably dirt cheap anywhere you go now and it has quite a few wicked games for it. Your kids will probably love it too.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the xbox when it first came out, i was like 10.
I got really pouty but then I googled and found out there's the Xbox 360 that I'm thinking of, and a Xbox that came out 6 years ago.

But anyway, kids pick up this stuff way faster than adults do.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I got really pouty but then I googled and found out there's the Xbox 360 that I'm thinking of, and a Xbox that came out 6 years ago.

But anyway, kids pick up this stuff way faster than adults do.
The "original" XBOX is nice, just don't expect to keep too many games for the 360 if you decide to 'upgrade' down the line.

Of course you could always give your children the "non adult" games that aren't backwards compatible. I'm giving my girlfriend my XBOX, I'm keeping about 60 games that will play on the 360, you wouldn't believe how many were under $5 at Gamestop. IIRC an XBOX is ~$50-$60 at Gamestop and you can buy a 1 year warranty for $10.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts

Grab Super paper mario for the wii

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
You would do pretty well with a Nintendo Wii if you can get your hands on one. The way the controllers work and the laid back titles that come with the console are a great way to introduce yourself into gaming. They are relatively easy to set up and are simple to control and the bonus of having motion control over the dozen button layout is a major stress reliever. Plus it plays gamecube games. Some good games that are available are the wii sports game (me and a mate always give that a bash first off before any serious gaming) and it also contains many other great titles such as DeBlob.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
While a gamecube can probably be bought for a really low price, I'd just go for the Wii instead. (except maybe if you get a REALLY cheap bundle, like someone selling the console with games + controllers. Both the games and the controllers would be useful to have for the Wii anyway.)
The Wii will play the games of both consoles, you'd get access to more games that way.

A fun game that you should be able to play with your kids (or friends, or anyone, because it's GREAT) is Super Smash Bros Brawl (or Melee, for the gamecube).

It's fun for your kids because it's fighting but done in a non-violent way, and it's fun for you because you get to beat up pikachu.
Win-Win!
(and since it's multiplayer, you can play with them, not just take turns)

Small edit : If the FPS aspect of Halo and Call of Duty is what interest you, but you're not sure about trying them because of the "violence" element, you could try Metroid Prime 3 (for Wii, 1&2 for GC, but it's better with the Wiimote).
It's not exactly aimed at kids either, but it's definitely less violent (or at least, that's what I felt, you're still shooting aliens, but it's definitely far from "oh my god I just shot that guy in the face and then he slowly fell to the ground in a foutain of blood".).

·
!
6,312 Posts

Female and want to play FPS games:rolleyes:..that's weird for me;)...anyways..crash bandicoot series Ps2 series i mean.hmm do you like Violent games?....ok if you..
you have to play Metal gear series ..and i don't think that you'll like it because that you're female:lol..now i'm wondering again girl playing FPS games and violent games:eyemove:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Get Wii. Then click on the link below

Game Rankings - Rankings - Video Game Reviews, Release Dates, Cheat Codes

My recommendation would be:

1. Mario Galaxy
2. Super Smash Brothers Brawl
3. Mario Kart Wii
4. Boom Blox
5. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
6. de Blob
7. Okami
8. WarioWare: Smooth Moves
9. Super Paper Mario
10. Sam & Max: Season One
i agree, get a wii. lots of very accessible games on there that you can apriciate even if you havent been a gamer for years. mario and zelda are jsut as good today as they were back then and over virtual console you can even get some of those old gems you remember form way back when.
however, the thing is, a wii plays all gamecube games as well, so all in all you can play any game that was ever released on a nintendo console.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Well, I'd say get wii too... It has the most child friendly game collection(with "few" exceptions) plus the console has the innovative controller system so you don't have to worry that your kids growing stuck into the couch because they play games the whole time!:lol:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts