Next Generation Emulation banner

Your portable music player

  • Apple iPod (Regular, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)

    Votes: 7 15.9%
  • iRiver (H10, T30, 800, etc.)

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Creative (Zen, Nomad, etc.)

    Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Dell DJ (Pocket, Ditty, etc.)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rio (Forge, Carbon, etc.)

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Sony (Walkman)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iAudio

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CD Player (CD Audio, MP3, etc.)

    Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Other flash/HD-based player

    Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No portable music player

    Votes: 6 13.6%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a lot of people carry around portable music devices nowadays. Since I got a new portable music device recently (iPod nano baby!:wub: ) I thought I'd make a poll to see what other people have. I tried to include some of the most popular players in the poll; forgive me if I forgot anything. So here we go!

Apple iPod Nano Black 4 GB
 

·
Canadian Spaceman
Joined
·
8,767 Posts
30GB iPod Photo + $1-ish Homemade DuctTape case :)
 

·
Familiar Face
Joined
·
4,971 Posts
The thing that bugs me about portable MP3 players is the cost of the memory sticks, or the high cost of a device with a good amount of storage. I use an MP3 capable Discman and burn MP3 CD's as data discs and can usually get close to 200 tracks on one disc. This being the case, I take an extra disc with me, and I've got plenty of music to go. It may not be as small or as skip proof as an ipod, but it's not overly huge either, and the backup memory on it is good enough where I don't ever catch it skipping. So $70 for a Discman that can handle MP3 data CD's is my preference.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
I love my cd player! Its awsome really, its an RCA cd player dosent play data cd's or MP3's. I just use a CDRW so I dont have to use a million cd's its pretty sweet. The anti skip is great I can take the CD out and it will play for another 180 seconds...

My fiend has a nano at it really is small but I dont think its worth $300 if you ask me. Good for you Demigod, the black ones are imposible to get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
I'm with you generalplot. Maybe a CD player isn't as sleek as an iPod, but it's one heck of a lot more cost effective.

BTW Demigod, you listen to the pillows? I'm a big fan myself. I've gotten all of their CDs I could find (many of which I actually bought ;) ). Have you heard their latest single, Non Fiction, yet?
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
I'm still using my old Philips CD-player. It has CDrw support, so for me it's the same as zen-master. I bought mine right before MP3 started to get popular and I did not want to wait for MP3 players to become less expensive. And I'm talking about MP3-disc support.

Lately I've been thinking about getting me a Flash-MP3 player. They are nice and small, and carry quite a few songs. I didn't want to pay more than 50 euros for them and also want at least 256 mb memory. 128 doesn't cut it since I want my music to sound good :) Luckily the neighbours will recieve a 256 one and because I fixed their computer and installed everything concerning their adsl connection, they asked me if I'd like it :D Their computer doesn't have USB ports in the first place xD

Btw, a friend of mine has got a Creative Zen, and seeing that those things have 30gb and cost less than a 4 gb Ipod I don't think I will ever buy one...

Edit: Oh and now I think of it, I am still using an old Sony Walkman, yes the one working with tape casettes!! It's an awesome device to use at work. There's a lot of noise surrounding me so all I want is the music to be very loud, and most of the portable audio devices don't go as loud as the ones made 10 years ago. It's the same with my old Sony discman: When on full volume they could hear it at the other side of a 30 people classroom :D

Free advice for all of you guys: Get some very good headphones, the ones you can get for 5 bucks usually sound like *$(&#. I got a pair of headphones that cost 18 euros, and they're the best I ever had :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,576 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Lately I've been thinking about getting me a Flash-MP3 player. They are nice and small, and carry quite a few songs. I didn't want to pay more than 50 euros for them and also want at least 256 mb memory.
Then the iFP series are certainly not for you. :D If you want something good for that price, you could also check www.marktplaats.nl for something second-hand, I suppose. But as always, you should be wary of frauds. Also check tweakers' pricewatch, but be careful what you buy. Often, the really cheap ones are pure crap in every way and won't satisfy anyone's needs.
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Gaurav said:
Then the iFP series are certainly not for you. :D If you want something good for that price, you could also check www.marktplaats.nl for something second-hand, I suppose. But as always, you should be wary of frauds. Also check tweakers' pricewatch, but be careful what you buy. Often, the really cheap ones are pure crap in every way and won't satisfy anyone's needs.
I'll wait for the one I'll be getting from the neighbours, I hope it will satisfy my needs. If not I'll look further :)
And yes, my brother has been tricked with marktplaats as well. Ever since that event we always buy from Ebay :) Even though I bought some very nice DC games from Marktplaats.


About the iFP series: I have no need for it... Way too much features I have to pay for which I don't use. I've got a cell phone with me for pictures anyway :) Although I wouldn't mind having one, I'm just cheap :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,081 Posts
Creative Zen Jukebox Xtra 30GB. I got it just about one year ago. I gotta say, as soon as your player isn't made by Apple, the price goes down very quickly. At the time I got it I paid 200 bucks for 30GB, and the 20GB iPod was going for 300. So 10 extra GB for 100 dollars less. I absolutely love it and have it on all the time. It even came with a carrying case with clip (which is an extra cost for iPod), which I use all the time.
 

·
Miserable Bugger
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
If there is one thing that Apple have gotten right with the iPod, it is their marketing.

Even though the iPod (and the Mini and Nano) is far more expensive than comparable models by other companies, they have made it the in thing to own.
 

·
The ChinaDude!!!
Joined
·
3,930 Posts
N1ghtw0lf said:
same here :evil:

Besides playing music it can run over little annoying children, can't see you do that with ipod :evil:
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Eface said:
same here :evil:

Besides playing music it can run over little annoying children, can't see you do that with ipod :evil:
Have you tried? :eek:nthepull
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
generalplot said:
The thing that bugs me about portable MP3 players is the cost of the memory sticks, or the high cost of a device with a good amount of storage. I use an MP3 capable Discman and burn MP3 CD's as data discs and can usually get close to 200 tracks on one disc. This being the case, I take an extra disc with me, and I've got plenty of music to go. It may not be as small or as skip proof as an ipod, but it's not overly huge either, and the backup memory on it is good enough where I don't ever catch it skipping. So $70 for a Discman that can handle MP3 data CD's is my preference.:p
I used to use a Sony CD player before I got my iPod. It was a bit too cumbersome to carry around though and couldn't hold all my songs (I hate carrying around CDs and switching them). I was looking for an alternative and I happened to hear about the new iPod. I've been wanting to get an iPod for a while so I thought I'd take this chance to get the latest thing;). I see a lot of people with CD players though. I see iPods regularly, but haven't seen a single nano yet. Kind of why I made this poll, to actually see what people own.

__Xzyx987X said:
BTW Demigod, you listen to the pillows? I'm a big fan myself. I've gotten all of their CDs I could find (many of which I actually bought ;) ). Have you heard their latest single, Non Fiction, yet?
Yeah, they're my favorite group right now. Been listening to them ever since I heard them on FLCL. I haven't heard their latest single yet though. Gotta hunt it down I guess.

DB7 said:
If there is one thing that Apple have gotten right with the iPod, it is their marketing.

Even though the iPod (and the Mini and Nano) is far more expensive than comparable models by other companies, they have made it the in thing to own.
Yeah, and marketing is everything but they really did put a lot of thought and effort into it. iPods are generally among the most stylish players around and the click-wheel is an awesome innovation. The inclusion of the iTunes music store is also another great attraction. Basically, Apple did everything right with the iPod.
 

·
-PM to advertise here-
Joined
·
8,262 Posts
Wwell, I find that cellphones are missing here. I use my SonyEricsson K700i to listen to any if I want. It has around 30 MB free for me all the time and I hardly carry more than 2 tracks as I am not a music listener. However, it has got a built in stereo FM radio too and the local stations pretty much rock.

Heh, you can use this phone to call a radio channel and request a song and then listen to that station on this cellphone. Quite fun :p
 

·
The Hunter
Joined
·
15,879 Posts
Syed Fawad said:
Wwell, I find that cellphones are missing here. I use my SonyEricsson K700i to listen to any if I want. It has around 30 MB free for me all the time and I hardly carry more than 2 tracks as I am not a music listener. However, it has got a built in stereo FM radio too and the local stations pretty much rock.

Heh, you can use this phone to call a radio channel and request a song and then listen to that station on this cellphone. Quite fun :p
Yeah, you'd almost forget cellphones were originally made to make phonecalls :p

I've got a SE k500i, which has got only 12 mb, so all I have are 4 MP3 ringtones which in total is 3 minutes of metal -_- My next phone will have more memory that's one thing I know for sure.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top