Next Generation Emulation banner

What is your preferred gaming resolution?

• 640x480

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 800x600

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 1024x768

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 1152x864

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1280x1024

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 1600x1200

• 1280x600

• 1280x720

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • 1280x768

• 1280x800

• 1280x960

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • 1366x768

• 1440x900

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • 1600x900

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 1680x1050

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • 1900x1200

• 2560x1600

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
i was saying that 4:3 resolutions get distorted in my 5:4 crt even tho its a crt and doesnt have a native resolution but to take proper repect of the aspect artio of my screen i need to use the only 5:4 res out there. if i dont ill end up with bars on the top and/or bottom depending on where i want to put the image. and whoever said that crts are all 4:3 unless its a widescreen crt needs to get their head reexamined. wait wasnt that squall who said that?

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
i would be glad to if i had the money for one but right now i dont and that just bites. once i get the money ill be getting one myself ill probaly head down to either bestbuy or walmarts and see what they have in stock at the time. and what concerns would that be DarkSamus? i was just making sure what i thought was right was infact right thats what allt he questions where for.
The concerns you had about aspect ratio/res and the displaying of pics without ratio concern is what I meant

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
and i was just wanting to clear it all up which you have and i thank you for it. whoever said that crts are all 4:3 unless its a widescreen crt needs to get their head reexamined. wait wasnt that squall who said that?

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
I have no idea who said what before we started talking, but I agree that whomever said it was wrong!

My CRT is a 5:4 one!

I have noted that monitor crt's mostly come in 5:4 and 4:3 flavours
LCD's monitors seem to come in 2 aspects, 16:9 and 16:10 but there are a few 4:3's I have seen around too
I have yet to see a widescreen CRT monitor,(Not sure they even exist, but others here would know better then I) I have only ever seen a Widescreen CRT Television

But as I said earlier when you do go for a widescreen LCD you do not need to concern yourself with aspect ratio issues.

Once you connect it just set Windows to run at the screens native res (16:10/1920x1200 for my current one) and you will be fine!

Not sure with older CRT's but I have owned 3 different size LCD's so far and all 3 at there native res displayed correctly!

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
good to hear and sence we are on the type of deiscussing i need a new graphics card sence like i said before im still using an old 7600 gs with 512 mb of ram. and sorry to squall it was lord who said that. my fault i went back and looked at page one. well at least for me its on page on and im sitting ont he second page right now.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Another thing I have found too, is that with my CRT I can go over the native res

But none of the 3 LCD's I have owned will allow for a res higher then there native res!

With all 3 LCD's screens it has literally been a case of "Plug the new one in and up it to the max setting again!"

In regards to a GPU it all comes down to your budget and needs.
Do you want to play the latest games and safe-guard yourself for a while?
Are you only interested in it to run a few bargain bin games on occasion?
My 9800GTX is enough to run the 2 most stressful games I own VERY WELL (Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5) and am likely to own in the next year or so. Because of this I have no great concern to upgrade mine yet but this is also a side benefit of being a console gamer that does not enjoy using keyboard/mouse at all for gaming

But I am now starting to think you would be better off creating a thread in the Hardware discussion section of the site :thumb:

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
yeah i can go up to a max res of 1600x1200 myself but the refresh rate im stuck at is 60 and that just hurts my eyes badly. and ill be glad to start a new thread over there for the graphics card

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Sounds like you need to start saving the $'s for a screen as you said!
Just make sure that the GPU will be efficient to run at the res you require it too for your games

For example in my games I run them at native res with max settings except for AA.

With the AA I adjust it as high as I can before it drops to under a constant 60fps

With my 9800GTX I accomplish this with both Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4

Both games get maxed settings with SF4's AA set to 16x and RE5's AA set to 8x

Just be sure you know exactly what your chosen GPU will do for your screen before choosing!

A few things I looked for with my 3rd screen that I failed with the first 2 times that I felt are very important and silly to miss are...

HDCP support <<This is essential if you wish to be able to run Blu-Ray disks now or in the future

HDMI input <<This was important to me cause it gives me the option to connect a PS3 or XBOX360 to the screen as well (Both display perfectly in 1080p on mine without any incorrect aspect ratio issues)

Just be sure to put a fair amount of research into the screen too as you don't want to get one then later realise you could of paid just a little more for a few extra features that just might be truly handy in the future!

I made the mistake with my second screen of not doing the research and was very disappointed to learn I had bought a 22 Inch without HDCP support when I had plans to buy a Blu-Ray Reader soon after :hdbash:

This was when I was forced to sell my old 22 Inch and get a new one that supported the features I wanted

The selling factors for me that were all important in this screen were...

1/ 16:10/1920x1200 res giving me the ability to view 1080p content in full glory

2/ HDCP support so I could get the Blu-Ray drive and use it fully

3/ HDMI input with 1 button switching between VGA/DVI-D/HDMI on the front of the screen because I had a PS3 at the time and wanted to connect both at once for ease and better quality (Main TV is a 20 Inch/51cm 4:3 PAL CRT with a SD Digital box for commercial TV) :spy:

But take your time and be sure you won't need to get a new one later cause you over-looked an essential feature the first time
Believe me, it is a costly mistake ;)

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
lol ive got the same tv setup you do except mines a ntsx tv instead of a pal one lol. as for the monitor i dont think i wanna pay more then say $350 for a new screen i would rather buy a new graphics card first then get a new screen sence my current screen is already 720i/p ready with its 1280x1024 res. and i was thinking of getting a decent 26' lcd for about $500 to replace my current 20 inch insignia tv. but if i can spend that money and get both a new graphics card and monitor that i can use with my 360 and ps3 when i get one that would be even better.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
good to hear and sence we are on the type of deiscussing i need a new graphics card sence like i said before im still using an old 7600 gs with 512 mb of ram.
Lol my card is worse. 7600 GT with 256MB of RAM (which for lower-end graphics cards is usually the determining factor in their capabilities).

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Well for PS3/360 support you need to look at HDCP support and HDMI inputs!

When you do get a monitor if its at least 24 Inch it SHOULD support full 1080p whether its 16:9/1920x1080 one or 16:10/1920x1200 one

The only benefit I find with 16:9 is the DVD's/Blu-Rays/Games made for the format run absolutely full screen

The benefits I find of 16:10 is some games only support 16:10 for pc and not 16:9, the difference this makes with the wrong aspect is arguable but I still preferred to get a 16:10 and just have SLIGHT black borders for my 16:9 stuff, plus the extra UP/DOWN physical size that I get from a 16:10 screen means that my 24 Inch PC screen displays a 4:3 TV show (With black borders on the sides) larger then the house 20 Inch TV which shows zero borders on older 4:3 tv shows

With the HDTV card I also have in my pc The pc has become the preferred place to watch anything in the house

Prime time is usually spent watching shows in HD on the PC and 24 Inch monitor while the kids watch Digital SD TV on the 20 Inch CRT using an add-on box I bought for $16AUS

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Dark Samus, CRTs do not have "native" resolutions. That is why you were able to go higher. They have a maximum, and that is it. It cannot go higher than the maximum.
and whoever said that crts are all 4:3 unless its a widescreen crt needs to get their head reexamined. wait wasnt that squall who said that?
This was probably me, not him, and if I was wrong, my saying so makes me incorrect, not in possession of head problems. I don't know everything, but I'm not arrogant enough to act like I do (or act like they're so stupid that I do compared to them) versus another in the presence of someone who may be wrong about something, like somebody here...

I'd say the one with the big head (it's a term for arrogance) is the one that needs the head examined. I'm just saying.

Now, on to the matter at hand.

1. I'm unaware of any non 4:3 CRTs (besides some widescreen ones, and perhaps some specialized ones), so if you can/will, do find the exact model of this KDS 20" CRT for me. Do note that many CRTs have 1280x1024 as a recommended, or even maximum, resolution, but this does not make them 5:4 ratio displays. My HP in the basement is a 17" CRT that has a maximum of 1280x1024, but it is a 4:3 display. Unless the glass area itself is measured to be a 5:4 ratio (that is, it'll almost be square), then it's probably not 5:4, but rather 4:3.

DarkSamus, ditto for you for your supposed 5:4 CRT.

This makes me curious.

2. If you're blind in one eye, I wouldn't doubt this could potentially and/or partly contribute to why you interpret a 5:4 resolution on a 4:3 display as more square than it's native 4:3 ratio. Before you take that the wrong way, I am not ridiculing your sight. I am just saying that it is something you have to consider. You only knows what looks square to you, on your monitor, with your sight, and what you're "used to". If it looks more square to you at the 5:4 1280 ratio resolution than the 4:3 1280 ratio resolution, then maybe it is 5:4. Maybe the monitor is 5:4, or maybe it isn't. I'd like to look it up, because I did search the internet a bit, and I saw one other claim that 5:4 CRTs exist, but I haven't actually found any.

P.S. Regardless of what your monitor is, and regardless of if 5:4 CRTs exist or not, what I was likely saying with any post that I may have claimed that all are 4:3 in was this. Many CRTS are "incorrectly" running 1280x1024 when it should be 1280x960, because most CRTs are 4:3. That was my point with that claim if I made it, and that point is true, although the claim may have been exaggerated/wrong.

Edit:
DarkSamus said:
I have noted that monitor crt's mostly come in 5:4 and 4:3 flavours
LCD's monitors seem to come in 2 aspects, 16:9 and 16:10 but there are a few 4:3's I have seen around too
I have yet to see a widescreen CRT monitor,(Not sure they even exist, but others here would know better then I) I have only ever seen a Widescreen CRT Television
CRTs come primarily, almost only, in 4:3. 5:4 ones may exist, and I know widescreen ones do. I believe I've linked to one or listed the name of one in this thread. It's a Sony.

LCDs, come in more than 16:9 and 16:10. In fact, most are 5:4 (although they're falling out of favor for 16:9/16:10). Yes, 4:3 LCDs exist (some 1024x768, 1400x1050, and even 1600x1200), but they're the least common.

Basically, it seems there exists all ratios for both types, but if we go on the practical and main ones only to make it easy, basically, CRTs are 4:3, and LCDs are 5:4 and 16:9/16:10.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
hmm just did the measuments on my screen with a physical ruler and things are a lot more square on a 5:4 resolution of 1280x1024 then on a 4:3 resolution of 1280x960 so for me ill go with the more square 1280x1024 on this old crt but then again i have a crt that was made for businesses more then anything. as for the brand the crt says KDS USA on the front. i measured a 256x256 picture. i cant complain i got the crt for free from my uncle when his business he worked for was swapping out computer and monitors
quoting myself here cuase as i said i did a physical measurement with a ruler and it seems that using the 5:4 ratio is making a square picture acutaly square on my screen. ill see if i cant find my monitor for you it took me ages just o find out the prop stuff for my monitor but i didnt find everything i could. ok that was an easy find i just typed in kds usa into firefox and this is the site that came up and appearently i have a discontinued monitor from it. heres the spec sheet for the monitor i currently have http://www.kdsusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?prod=233 and if i have to i will try and get a picture of my monitor so you can see what it currently looks like

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
After looking at that link (and that leads to a 19" monitor when you said you had a 20" one), I think I may have figured out what's going on here, which I was originally going to say was a possibility in my previous post.

The pixels themselves may not be square.

0.20 x 0.25 mm dot pitch
As far as I know, there's usually just supposed to be one value for dot pitch, but if there's two, I'm pretty sure that suggests the pixels aren't perfect squares, so you're having to compensate by using a non-native ratio resolution to make it look like it should.

From the pictures, the screen area itself looks 4:3.

If this is what the issue is, then your CRT is technically 4:3. The pixels just aren't square. Maybe this was done because 1280x1024 was the intended recommended resolution, I don't know, but making a monitor like that would be very, well, stupid as it makes all the rest of the resolutions (the 4:3 ones) look weird and non-square as you're describing.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,821 Posts
as i said every thing is square at 1280x1024 and the first hing i said was that i had a 19' crt i think i eaither added the 20 in by mistake in that one post of mine but it shouldnt even be there. i was having typos like crazy last night

·
Registered
1 Posts
I prefer Quad HD: 2560 x 1440 (1440p). Before I played with Full HD: 1920 x 1080 and it was rather good but 1440p is much better for me. Probably, I'd better purchase the monitor with 4K resolution but my hardware is not powerful enough to run games with such a resolution. So, I've stopped at 1440p. If you would like to learn more about different resolutions I think this article will be useful https://freewindows10.download/articles/1080p-vs-1440p-vs-4k-which-resolution-is-best-for-gaming .

141 - 157 of 157 Posts