Next Generation Emulation banner

What is your preferred gaming resolution?

• 640x480

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 800x600

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 1024x768

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • 1152x864

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1280x1024

Votes: 14 18.2%
  • 1600x1200

• 1280x600

• 1280x720

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • 1280x768

• 1280x800

• 1280x960

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • 1366x768

• 1440x900

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • 1600x900

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • 1680x1050

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • 1900x1200

• 2560x1600

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 8 10.4%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
hmm just did the measuments on my screen with a physical ruler and things are a lot more square on a 5:4 resolution of 1280x1024 then on a 4:3 resolution of 1280x960 so for me ill go with the more square 1280x1024 on this old crt but then again i have a crt that was made for businesses more then anything. as for the brand the crt says KDS USA on the front. i measured a 256x256 picture. i cant complain i got the crt for free from my uncle when his business he worked for was swapping out computer and monitors

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
hmm just did the measuments on my screen with a physical ruler and things are a lot more square on a 5:4 resolution of 1280x1024 then on a 4:3 resolution of 1280x960 so for me ill go with the more square 1280x1024 on this old crt but then again i have a crt that was made for businesses more then anything. as for the brand the crt says KDS USA on the front. i measured a 256x256 picture. i cant complain i got the crt for free from my uncle when his business he worked for was swapping out computer and monitors
I have a back-up 17 inch crt 4:3 (Samtron brand) that I use sometimes, nothing wrong with having a crt still. I actually would like to get a 21 inch crt at some point but just have yet to see one for the right money!

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
as i said i would much perfer to have everything lookingsquare like it does at a 5:4 ratio instead of looking like a rectangle at 4:3 when the size is square like 256x256 or 512x512. as i said i think i got one of those few offbrand names wqhere they dont adhere to the standards. to be honest i would much perfer to have a widescreen lcd then this large clunky crt cuase i dont have much room on the top of my corner desk and my desk could easily topple forward if im not careful.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
why would that be bobrocks? as long as something at say 256x256 looks square then the dimensions of the screen and the resolution of said screen shouldnt matter

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Don't get me wrong, as nice as it is to have a CRT as backup, I still prefer playing Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5 more on this 24 inch LCD screen.

Just, I don't feel CRT's are really quite dead yet, they still do some things better then any LCD can;)
as i said i would much perfer to have everything lookingsquare like it does at a 5:4 ratio instead of looking like a rectangle at 4:3 when the size is square like 256x256 or 512x512. as i said i think i got one of those few offbrand names wqhere they dont adhere to the standards. to be honest i would much perfer to have a widescreen lcd then this large clunky crt cuase i dont have much room on the top of my corner desk and my desk could easily topple forward if im not careful.
why would that be bobrocks? as long as something at say 256x256 looks square then the dimensions of the screen and the resolution of said screen shouldnt matter
That comes purely down to the res you set the screen too!

All screens have sizes that are incorrect and all have sizes that are the ones you describe/want!

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
and as i said before i would much rather have a larger lighter lcd then this heavy crt cause if im not careful the desk its sitting on could easily topple forward. so the screen is sitting as far back as possible. i dont have much room in this bedroom of mine anyways for a large desk that could easily support the weight of the larger crt. as for this crt im using the res just happens to be a 5:4 not the standard 4:3 and its a crt to boot. hows something with a square dimision look on a lcd at its native res look anyways? is it square like i want or is it rectangle?

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Well, as an example.

For an episode of the simpsons (before the new widescreen eps) I get a normal picture that is filled from top to bottom, but the sides are bordered black so the image is not stretched!

My monitor is 16:10 so when I watch tv shows that are in widescreen I get i tiny black border at the top and bottom of the screen, but at the full res of 1920x1200 the image on a Blu-ray movie is displayed at full res of 1920x1080p with a slight border (Using my maths they = 60 pixels above and below the image)

I have found that most players etc... have settings to alter the displayed aspect ratio if it comes up incorrectly so I have in 2 years of owning a widescreen NEVER had any aspect ratio issues!

Only exception to this is a few emu's like to stretch the image to take up the whole screen, but some you can correct this in the settings for the emu.
Others you would just have to bare with the altered aspect ratio

In regards to images I have again never had the issue you describe as I use an aspect ratio that fits my screens size!

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
yes! See the below pic for example of a pic on my screen, this .gif file was displayed without any aspect issues
just like ALL other pics

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
good thats what i was asking int he first place. so then the 4:3 resolutions aren't proper for my 19" crt then even tho technically a crt doesnt have a native resolution. i could use them but i wouldnt be filling up my whole screen with the picture i would have to leave black borders on eiather the top or bottom or both for it to look correct on my crt then

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Isn't it obvious you should pick a res that matches your screens Ratio?

Doing as such will ALWAYS = zero display problems you describe EVERY time!

Just toy with the ratio's till you find one that is correct, if you can't see if its right/wrong straight away then you are plainly blind!

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
i know which resolution is correct for my old crt but sence its a crt most people would go for a 4:3 resolution unless its clearly a widescreen monitor which mine isnt widescreen. im no idiot and i do happen to be blind in one eye DS.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
sorry, wasn't trying to be rude and had no idea about you missing an eye! :hdbash:

But yeah, match it to a 5:4 res and you would be set, sorry again about the comment.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
there is only one 5:4 res and thats 1280x1024 but after updating the graphic drivers for my old 7600 gs i got a new res of 1600x1024 and lost the only widescreen res on my 20crt but i still have access to the 720x480 res for my tv. but after changing the res and refresh rate back on my crt to what they need to be i lost all connection to my tv and i know its not the cord myt my ports or the tv at fault here for that lost. cuase when i boot up my computer and before windows boots up it displays perfectly fine on my tv but after windows boots up everything disappears on my tv and im just left with the blue screen ive got it set to instead of static. ive got my tv run through my computer vi an s-video cord even tho thats not the best my tv can hanndle that belongs to the component connection but im using that for my 360. wouldnt be the first time ive lost my connection to my tv becuase of drivers

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I probably didn't understand what you were saying. I thought you were saying you liked more square monitors versus rectangular ones. So I figured you wouldn't be the person to get a widescreen monitor anytime soon.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
its not the monitor that needs to be square its the images ont he screen that need to be square when they have the same pixels for both the top and left edge. i would be glad to have a widescreen lcd

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
then get one, cause your concerns are invalid (Not saying it that way to be rude, just is fact)

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
2,828 Posts
i would be glad to if i had the money for one but right now i dont and that just bites. once i get the money ill be getting one myself ill probaly head down to either bestbuy or walmarts and see what they have in stock at the time. and what concerns would that be DarkSamus? i was just making sure what i thought was right was infact right thats what allt he questions where for.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You're saying images get distorted in higher resolutions (or maybe in LCD's VS CRT'S?) or something? Sorry, I didn't really read all the posts too thoroughly so I don't really understand it.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts