Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
From the emulators show option:
Underclocking the FPU will make the emulator run faster, but some games will have speed problems (DOA2, VF3, more).

Or are you looking for a more technical explanation?

·
Registered
12 Posts
From readme: "Underclock FPU" underclocks the Floating Point Unit if selected. It can speed things up if enabled but it might
also break some games. Recommended setting: Disabled

underclock is to reduce the frequency. (Mhz)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ah okay. I will leave it disabled then. Thanks for the help guys.
I suggest you to try it on and off with the games you have, and use the option that benefits execution the most for each of your games.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
I'm kinda interested in a more technical explanation.

Since it improves performance, the description given to it as "underclocking" sounds somewhat conter intuitive. You'd think slowing down the frequency of an emulated chip would decrease emulation speed.

Particularily something as heavily utilized such as the fpu.

Or perhaps is this some laymans term for the masses much like zerofrogs 'Anti Aliasing' which in that case happened to be increasing the render target resolution?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Since it improves performance, the description given to it as "underclocking" sounds somewhat conter intuitive. You'd think slowing down the frequency of an emulated chip would decrease emulation speed.
When you first think about it, it does seem counterintuitive. But you have to consider that, when an emulated FPU runs at a lower frequency, the emulator must perform less calculations than it would otherwise, leaving more processor power available for the other parts of the emulation, which subsequently run faster.
Of course, if the computer is powerful enough to run the emulation at full speed in every case, underclocking the FPU brings no benefit at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts