Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often find myself using the laptop at home for whatever reason (especially these days cuz my PC's UPS has broken down and I refuse to turn it on). Anyway, is it better to use the battery, wait for it to drain, then recharge it, or use it from a power outlet all the time?

I read somewhere that using a power outlet wastes a lot of charging cycles and it's best to run it off the battery till it empties then put it on charge. But I still wanna confirm this.

Your thoughts?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
Once a month, I unplug my laptop and boot into the BIOS and let the battery drain until auto-shutdown occurs. Afterwards, I plug it back in and let it charge up completely before turning it back on. My battery life is the same as when I first received it.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Leave the battery completely discharged out, and place it into a cool place. Preferably your fridge if you'd insulate the battery.

After that plug your laptop into an outlet and just let it be. A laptop uses much less power than a desktop anyway so worrying about using too much watts is a bit silly. Plus I'm pretty certain it won't use up any more cycle. If you want to reduce the watts usage then set the power management on the laptop to maximum power saving and be done with it.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So running via the power outlet is the way to go then.

runawayprisoner said:
Leave the battery completely discharged out, and place it into a cool place. Preferably your fridge if you'd insulate the battery.
Condensation would be major worry, especially cuz it's really hot and humid here most of the time.

P.S. Wouldn't it be even better if I removed the battery altogether and ran the laptop from a UPS?

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Condensation would be major worry, especially cuz it's really hot and humid here most of the time.
Which is why you should insulate it. ;) As long as there is no oxygen in contact with your battery, it won't be affected. Batteries are best kept at low temperatures.

P.S. Wouldn't it be even better if I removed the battery altogether and ran the laptop from a UPS?
Well, just plug the thing to an outlet will do. Laptops use less watts than desktops, and the components are built to withstand more beatings from mobile use. Thus they are less likely to go "boom" or "ka-push" even if they're not on constant power or stable power. Then again, if you'd like to be sure. Why not, right? I just thought that hauling a UPS with you anywhere would be quite a task even if it's in your house.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Rap don't you mean "crackle"?.....or your girlfriends howl of dissent once she realizes that your laptop has melted her Gucci pants.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just plug the thing to an outlet will do. Laptops use less watts than desktops, and the components are built to withstand more beatings from mobile use. Thus they are less likely to go "boom" or "ka-push" even if they're not on constant power or stable power. Then again, if you'd like to be sure. Why not, right? I just thought that hauling a UPS with you anywhere would be quite a task even if it's in your house.
Actually the problematic bit is the power outages which occur on a daily basis. Hence why I don't want to run it straight off the outlet since I'll corrupt my OS and possibly even damage my hard-disk (expensive and difficult to replace).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,570 Posts
In that case, just do what I do. If you're really that worried about your battery, then bump up the discharge/charge frequency up to once every 2 weeks or once a week.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.