Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for 2,000 pounds maximum? please help me decide, I cannot pay all at once though, so it must have a finance/loan type of an option available, like alienfinance for example, the only site that I have seen good computers from is: Alienware: Compare All Desktops!
Can you guys please tell me what the best custimization would be at the lowest price..

The reason I am upgrading is for many reasons, but I will be honest PS2 Emulation is one of the reasons, it sounds suckish saying that but it is a reason.. I already have a ps2 I just would rather play ps2 games on a desktop for some odd reason...

Thanks for reading,
Cloud

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
^

Alienware is a rip off. It's like their ugly @$$ cases deserve the extra cost.

Look for a computer parts retailer or online retailer for England. Take the time to assemble it yourself and save a good chunk of money.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
9,320 Posts
for gaming and we are talking about gaming + ps2 emulation you'd probably be best to go with a dual core core2 as opposed to a quadcore or an i7 for farther oc headroom on air cooling.

here is a decent system off the top of my head good for pcsx2 emulation and modern PC gaming...

an e8400 oc'd to 4ghz thanks to an asus p5q-E or deluxe motherboard, PC Power & Cooling Power supply (or any good brand & strong psu), one of a number newer brand of heat sinks with heatpipe direct touch (HDT) design that now trump all other air coolers including the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme, some arctic cooling mx-2 thermal paste and a case with decent cooling. For hdd a non-seagate 11th generation branded hdd (seagate failure rate is admittedly high on their 7200.11 hdds)(maybe stay away from seagate altogether for the moment), any decent looking case with decent cooling, and since you said you want to splurge money... an ati hd4890 or GTX280 or if you want to save a bit a gtx260 216 or hd4870 512mb. And 24 inch samsung or lg or dell monitor or and if you want to splurge.... 2x.

Since you've never build a system before i'd stay away from water cooling.

·
9,320 Posts
http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Sea...Bricks+Barracuda+720011+HDDs/article14011.htm

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 drives failing - The Inquirer

Seagate 7200.11 failure rate - Benchmark Reviews Discussion Forum

Seagate offers solution to 7200.11 hard drive failure epidemic : Obsessable Technology News

Possible Premature Drive Failure With Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 hard drive | Websites Made Simple

okay well i saw the initial articel on dailytech, i never knew they updated it that the solution seems to be fixed.
seems to be a firmware issue, but just to be sure i'd wait to see if more info comes about about seagate drives bricking.

Almost all my 6 or 7 hdds are seagates and i've only experienced 1 dieing on me after a year and a half years of use. All the others are doing just fine.

·
ヒット激しく速く
26,508 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, i better update my firmware as well since i have one of those Barracuda 7200.11 hard drives:rotflmao:. Though under the circumstances i agree its best to w8 for some while, i'm surprised Seagate messed up oO.

·
9,320 Posts
oh right i forgot about that ATI offloads onto the cpu. Yeah if your going the ATI 3000/4000 route you'll need a quadcore and even then i recall some people having slowdown issues with quadcores + HD 3000/4000 series. Most with quads like runawayprisoner had none, but i still recall at least 1 person in the gsdx thread were not able to solve their slowdown issues on a core2 quad + HD4800 series card.

Best to stick with nvidia for now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.