Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
If you'd look around, we've discussed this plenty of times. The Eternal SPU is the best for anyone with a good computer. The Andy and Iori SPUs are also very good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Wing Zero
I am new to use ePSXe, hope you guys help.
actually depends on what games u r playin on.... but the best is still eternal spu ...... iori andy are oso recommended

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
but if you want speed and sound quality by the same proportion, eternal is your election, I´m sure of that

·
Diehard 3Dfx Fanboy!
544 Posts
Of course, it would REALLY be helpful if you told us what kinda system you're running.

On one like mine (which has some good hardware, but SLOW processor), the music in games like FF9 sounds like it's coming out of an underpowered phonograph no matter what sound Plugin you use.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I havent found a single sound plugin that suits all games.Eternal one is good in few games,pete's direct sound in few others,even pete's midas in few,epsxe core spu is also quite good for many games.While there may be few games where andy's and iori's spu work.
The conclusion is ---"try all sound plugins and see which one is best for your game and computer". ;)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Actually the Eternal one is very good IF you set the sound buffer to 1 and disable the slow SPU updates fix.9 MGS subtitles are perfect this way) Seems the slow SPU fix needs twice the buffer and a buffer of 2 messes with timing. buffer of one has perfect timing just weird sound sometimes...

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The SPU IRQ-Wait CPU check box... Uncheck it and set the Sound buffer to 1 then run Metal Gear solid...the subtitles are completely fixed. :)

·
5,797 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
The SPU IRQ-Wait CPU check box... Uncheck it and set the Sound buffer to 1 then run Metal Gear solid...the subtitles are completely fixed. :)
Actually I have the SPU IRQ-Wait CPU checked and whit a sound buffer of 8 the subtitles are perfect

·
5,797 Posts
Originally posted by Nash
If you have slow CPU you should use spuNull2!!:emb:
actually the diference between eternal and null2´s is like 0.5fps to 1.0 fps, whit an advantage of eternal cause it has a great sound ;)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'm in the same boat as SepHirotH OmEgA, MGS won't work correctly without SPU-wait option. Also eternal seems pretty *fast for me.

*then agian I have a mini-god for a computer so I can't tell if one SPU is faster than another one...they all run the same speed to me. :emb:

·
Registered
310 Posts
well my PC also doesn't suffer with eternal but when I want to compare 2 plugins I enable every enhancement I can think of(4xAA. FVRAM primitives, Framebuffer reads) then load up a texture filled game.
my test had the ff results:
pete's dsound: ~57-59.9
iori spu: ~57-59.9
eternal spu: ~55-59.9

I didn't try the old ones like null2's coz though that a little performance boost is not enough to sacrifice compatibility

·
Registered
188 Posts
With my comp Eternal runs about 20 fps slower than andys in FF7-9. Sound quality is pretty good with it though :p (What is the fastest eternal configuration? I dunno how to adjust those sound buffers and stuff.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
well my PC also doesn't suffer with eternal but when I want to compare 2 plugins I enable every enhancement I can think of(4xAA. FVRAM primitives, Framebuffer reads) then load up a texture filled game.my test had the ff results:
pete's dsound: ~57-59.9
iori spu: ~57-59.9
eternal spu: ~55-59.9

I didn't try the old ones like null2's coz though that a little performance boost is not enough to sacrifice compatibility
Yeah You´re right, i have the same problem with eternal plugin, the speed decrease to 3 or 5 fps, i dont have this problem with the others plugins.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Originally posted by Whoever
With my comp Eternal runs about 20 fps slower than andys in FF7-9. Sound quality is pretty good with it though :p (What is the fastest eternal configuration? I dunno how to adjust those sound buffers and stuff.)
you may lower/disable the reverb setting as well as uncheck "enable XA buffer auto adjust" you can try turning off high res mode but it can result to stutering sounds

·
Registered
190 Posts

If you want to run really fast the plugin try this settings:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Originally posted by SepHirotH OmEgA

Actually I have the SPU IRQ-Wait CPU checked and whit a sound buffer of 8 the subtitles are perfect
Which version?? Cause the US/NTSC Greatest hits version is lagging 30 seconds or more with those settings and I don't have a slow system
Duron 900
320 MB ram
Geforce2 GTS
SBlive
etc....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts