Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony NWZ S616F 4GB MP3 player, it can play video or music. It doesn't like to play in Winamp as it doesn't show as a "dumb" removable media device, but as a more complicated device, other than that, it does allow for quick transfer of files, and has a decent battery life even if it needs recharged every ~20 hours of play.

So what makes the IPod special as a music/video player? What does it have that other MP3/Video players lack?

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,083 Posts
I have a Sony NWZ S616F 4GB MP3 player, it can play video or music. It doesn't like to play in Winamp as it doesn't show as a "dumb" removable media device, but as a more complicated device, other than that, it does allow for quick transfer of files, and has a decent battery life even if it needs recharged every ~20 hours of play.

So what makes the IPod special as a music/video player? What does it have that other MP3/Video players lack?
With IPOD your paying for the brand.......there are no advantages that IPOD has. Its just a device riding on a name.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
None really, aside from the "cool" factor and its price tag. The only advantage I can think of is probably the availability of 3rd party accessories and software for the ipod, but you can live without these.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
The main thing I like about the iPod is that I can manage it very easily with Foobar2000 and transfer files back and forth with no worries. In fact, I'm listening to it through Foobar right now. The simple fact is that it does what I want it to do--period. (except play ogg files but I gave on that eons ago)

I've used several iPods, from the very first one to all of the Nano's to most of the "classic" ones to my iPhone--and I like the interface more than any other player I've used or owned. I've owned and dealt with Creative players, hated them with a passion. I bought a 30GB Zune but it was such a frustrating piece of **** that I literally threw it at the wall as hard as possible and destroyed it (no foolies). I tried a Sansa and it was decent, but still can't touch the iPod.

You can say what you want about Apple or the iPod, but in my experience they have perfect compatibility (never had a problem with Foobar, except the iPhone OS3.0 doesn't work with it--yet), great battery life, an excellent interface, great sound quality, stylish looks, and a quality feel when held in my hand. There's a good reason iPod is the king of portable devices, and no, it's not because of their snazzy new wave marketing.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
I love ipod. Although im poor so i use a ton of cheaper pieces of junk. From what i can tell. Is i like the lcd's on newer ipods as the give a sharper image than most mp3 players. And the menus and and stuff are easy to navigate. Its all around goodness :lol: but gets too be expensive

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
lol, "nice find"? You guys have never heard of Maddox?

The sad thing is he lost it a long, long time ago in my opinion. Before his stupid book and before his ego got superinflated, he used to actually have legit criticisms that were interesting and funny. Now he just *****es for the sake of *****ing, and comes off as a whiny old baby. Bummer.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
it requires bloated software installed to add music to it.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've owned and dealt with Creative players, hated them with a passion. I bought a 30GB Zune but it was such a frustrating piece of **** that I literally threw it at the wall as hard as possible and destroyed it (no foolies). I tried a Sansa and it was decent, but still can't touch the iPod.
Hmm, I'm listening to a creative MuVo at the moment, hooked up to my PC as a glorified memory stick, and it does the job pretty well. It works fine alone off the computer, but I like using my Sony 4Gyg off the PC.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
lol, "nice find"? You guys have never heard of Maddox?

The sad thing is he lost it a long, long time ago in my opinion. Before his stupid book and before his ego got superinflated, he used to actually have legit criticisms that were interesting and funny. Now he just *****es for the sake of *****ing, and comes off as a whiny old baby. Bummer.
He still has some funny stuff..

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
IPOD is over-rated. srsly, why bother and buy a expensive thing to play some songs/videos? (Though i ****ing hate videos player). I'll never buy a MP3 costs more than 10 Doller, Never.
same here, i only wear rolox watches, which are imported from china. :thumb:

people who buy into this apple bullcrap is the reason rich get richer, and the poor get poorer.

·
Leading the way.
836 Posts
Here's my opinion on this.

Apple is a company that specializes in ripping people off with an unneccessary product. Their computers are brand locked and have to have mac os on them even if you want to run xp on them... which is only possible because they're on intel hardware now! They have all the hardware of a pc, but require apple software to run, and are 2-3 times the price. And they have an os that is less capable and flexable than windows, or any x86 os really. I have osx for simplicity and stability (same reasons for having linux), but it's osx86 cause there's no way im gonna get apple hardware to run an illiterate user's OS.

Aaaand the ipod. God what a pointless device. You need proprietary software and drivers, it only accepts certain formats, you have to deal with drm/permissions, and it organizes music based on id3 tag information which pisses me off! I hate having 4 folders of the same artist just because the artist in the tags is spelled a little differently for god's sake.

Know what I have? An iriver h340. Its an older/cheaper 40gb mp3 player with a buttload of features, support for multiple formats, and it uses mass storage device drivers. Which means: you take your un-itunes-touched wmp-ripped music in its folder heirarchy, drag and drop it, wait, unplug it, and browse by file! Done! Simplicity and non-proprietarism (if that's a word), what a concept, right?

Screw apple and their overcomplicated hardware/software that they attempt to market to young and technologically illiterate buffoons.

Whoo, obviously I have a beef with apple :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.