Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is RTHDCPL.exe? Is it a virus.
I am having norton 2007, but even norton does not take that much of system resources.
Here is a screen shot.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rthdcpl.exe - rthdcpl - Process Information

Assuming that's to be trusted, anyway.
It says
rthdcpl.exe is a process belonging to the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel and is bundled alongside Realtek sound cards and audio hardware.
I don't have a realteck sound card, its asus.

Norton is ass btw
norton is a good AV, and I am going to get norton2009 next month.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't have a realteck sound card, its asus.
Did you turn your onboard audio off in your bios?

norton is a good AV, and I am going to get norton2009 next month.
Norton is the most horrific piece of garbage I've ever had the displeasure of supporting. I sincerely hope someday people file a class action lawsuit against symantec for that filth. It's worse than actually getting a virus in many cases. Use it long enough and someday it will bite you too, mark my words.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
Have you ever had a speaker icon that looks like this:

If not, then feel free to delete that sucker.;) Come to think of it, all it is, is an audio control panel that most people don't really need. Though sometimes I use it to reassign my audio ports. :/

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How do I check whether I have two or one. I'm pretty sure its one since there is no extra audio sockets at the back panel of my computer. Only the green, pink and blue colored sockets all hooked on to speakers.

Have you ever had a speaker icon that looks like this:

If not, then feel free to delete that sucker.;) Come to think of it, all it is, is an audio control panel that most people don't really need. Though sometimes I use it to reassign my audio ports. :/
sound icon looks like this

·
代言人
7,183 Posts
You need to go to BIOS and check, if you have 2x sound cards, turn it to disable.

and Norton is...the worst thing I've ever seen xD~

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I thinks its two sound cards. But I don't remember ordering an extra sound card when I got the computer.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,506 Posts
No, you're fine redlofredlof.;)

Asus just slapped their name on top of the Realtek Audio Control Panel. If you update your sound card drivers from Realtek's site, the Asus logo will be gone.

The only reason there are two speaker icons in my taskbar is that one is Windows 7's volume control and the other is Realtek's audio manager.

EDIT: You'd think N.A.V. would do a CRC check on the file first before accusing it of being a virus since a LOT of people with onboard sound have Realtek HD Audio... :/

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Wait, redlof, when you said you had an asus sound card, did you mean the audio on your asus motherboard? That's would be a realtek chipset. Wish you hadn't called it a card.

Asus DOES make sound cards (Xonar) and they're fantastic. They don't use the realtek chipset. I assumed, since you said card that's what you had.

·
代言人
7,183 Posts
I'm not sure.
It's not bad though.
Regardless, Xi-fi is better on Vista, where Audigy 2 is better on XP.

I have SupremeFX II, Audigy 2ZS, and Xi-Fi Elite Pro.
Xi-Fi Elite Pro has more functions where Audigy 2ZS has better driver.
Audigy 2ZS has slightly clearer sound, however.
SupremeFX II is more dull compare to the two.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I used to swear by Creative. My last card was an X-Fi. Can't remember why I eventually switched to the Xonar but I noticed the difference straight away, and I'm so not an audiophile. I've tried to use onboard a couple of times since then to make some room in my case but I can't. The Xonar just sounds too awesome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts