Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh we have a genius here. I read the article. It doesn't tell you what it is. If it did, would I be here? Making this topic? Asking for someone to tell me what it is?

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
A project based on PCSX2 trying to enhance the original PCSX2 using it's source, has hacks to make some games work and fixed others on the core.

If you use google looking for "pcsx2 playground" you end up with this site which explains what it is about: pcsx2-playground - Google Code

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You find that site at the end of the article. Is it something to replace the PCSX2? Or is it something that will come out with new versions of PCSX2? Is it something that a PCSX2 user should use instead?

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
You find that site at the end of the article.
Is it now? guess i'm not a genius enough to find it or use google :/

It's worked by another team and being a beta it's really up to you if you wanna use it. If you have problems with some game and think a beta can fix it go for it. I personally use both the stables and betas as some games may have trouble with one or the other.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fine, the link at the bottom only goes to pscx2 and not pscx2-playground. My bad. Don't know why there isn't a link for both though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
it is a modified version of the snv 395 build of pcsx2. there are other peeps working on this modified version than the OG/official version and it adds diff speed hacks, patches a better spu and other tweaks. its a project started by some long time members/coders to improve pcsx2 at a faster pace. i think its open source so anyone who wants to build on it can build on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jton have you used it? Think it's worth trying out right now? How often do they update? Is the Google Code site the one to bookmark/rss? (If I could rss it)

·
Rpcs3 user :D
780 Posts
If you want a correct emulation of the PS2, give it a try. Otherwise you should stick with Pcsx2 (official version). You'll lose 10fps or maybe more in Playground version.

·
Registered
44 Posts
lol..i just started using it 3 days ago..so no idea how often they update. but this versions is good. runs all my games well except for God for War II. ffx, xii, omnimusha 3, Shadows of the collossus, dragon quest 8 seem to be working very well. most noticeable gain for me has been with SoTC. it plays much much smoother than with the last svn i was using...in game.i run fullspeed about 80% of the time. when it does slow down, its still playable.

i jsut downloaded the one from the official pcsx2 site. it comes with gsdx1.12.

If you want a correct emulation of the PS2, give it a try. Otherwise you should stick with Pcsx2 (official version). You'll lose 10fps or maybe more in Playground version.
i havnt noticed any slowing with PG vs the 371 svn..but i have been using older official svn..so im not sure,..either way.give it a shot. it has alot of diff speed hacks to help you out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
You won't get the latest playground version if you take the one from official pcsx2 site.
You must compile it yourself. However the one released in official pcsx2 site has been extensively tested, and considered to be good.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
You won't get the latest playground version if you take the one from official pcsx2 site.
You must compile it yourself. However the one released in official pcsx2 site has been extensively tested, and considered to be good.
Playground has became an officially supported branch of pcsx2 with it's own forum section on the official site.

Although every beta is not compiled and released, it appears versions from the usual download sources will be allowed for discussion on the forums.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How exactly does someone compile the releases?

Lots of speed hacks eh? Sounds good! Let me finish this game of Civ IV first...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well, just pointing out a couple of things.
First, Pcsx2 Playgrund is not just a hacks collection, it's much more :p We have many exciting things that are being worked on too.
Seconds, if you have bug reports or something, post them on our forum, we don't really read these forums anymore for that. You know, it takes enough managing our forum..

·
Banned
2,817 Posts
A project based on PCSX2 trying to enhance the original PCSX2 using it's source, has hacks to make some games work and fixed others on the core.
I wouldn't say "trying to enhance Pcsx2" It already enhanced Pcsx2. The emulation is much more correct and the code much more cleaner. The emulator is behaving much more like a real PS2 at each PP SVN.

No, you won't lose 10fps if you have proper hardware. In my rig I get the same speeds for both and mine isn't the most powerfull PC out there

1 - 20 of 33 Posts