Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't see any PSP emulation. Why is that? If I recall, there was a Java program in the works, but not anywhere close to being taken seriously. I'm assuming there's been no advances since I last looked into it as there isn't even a forum here for a specific PSP emulator.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
1) You know how to code? Then code your own PSP emulator!
2) You know how the PSP hardware works? Then code your own PSP emulator!
3) None of the above? Then stop whining and saying the hard time people had to code, for free, can't be taken seriously.

Sorry i'm not always like this, but i really felt this one deserved....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
as always there has been advances, more and more commercial games begin to work... but it is still not anywhere complete, oh what did you think it would be playable yet, that people are miracle workers... to me they are considering they have gotten this far...

dont expect it will happen quickly, i am assuming that if development continues as it is now, i expect it to run at least a few commercial games fully in a years time but hey that is my assumption

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look, don't get me wrong. I didn't mean for my choice of words to come off as insulting. I was just trying to ask a question. It comes from the fact that a lot of you guys are programmers and I am not. And I see how my choice of words could seem like I'm being disrespectful. All I can say is I'm sorry it came out like that.

I basically just am curious why development would have taken longer, when other emulators are seeing a good amount of success. Does it just have to do with the people who are doing it, how much time they have, etc, or is it more an issue of... the PSP is harder to emulate?

That's all I mean.

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Over time, many games require newer firmwares, often due to functionalty that was added in later ones but is not present in earlier ones. Emulating the earliest and least complex BIOSes no longer suffices. It was a moving target, if you prefer.

Most the PSP effort was put behind homebrew use of the handheld, wich doesnt make it more worthwhile to work on a PC emulator, since its as easier to just leave PSP game execution for the real handheld, and focus on enabling and creating as many homebrew apps and emus for it as possible. I like the idea of playing Neogeo/CPS2 games on a PSP, personally.
Note that Sony will be adding native emulation of Neogeo games into its PSP firmware now, due to pressure from the homebrew community making the official firmwares look very crippled and featureless.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
And don't forget it takes time to fully emulate a console, and the PSP hasn't been out for that long.
And sorry if i overreacted, it's just i'm tired of people demanding things over free-time-code...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts