Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
to LAN PS2: Difference between PS2 network adapter and USB ethernet adapter

Hello,
I heard from the Killzone forum that you can hook up your PS2's to a "USB router" to play them in LAN; I've never heard of "USB routers". Are they just regular PC routers that, instead of using cat5 cables they use USB ones? Also, does this mean no PS2 network adapter is needed? Please post information if you know, thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
You can hook up your PS2 to a LAN via an average everyday USB Ethernet adaptor, but I'd imagine a USB based router (like the one BT sells with their ADSL) would need drivers to work via USB.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this it: link
Are there only certain brands or models that will work with PS2 or all of them will work? I suppose you can't play PS2 online with this now can you ;)

·
band
4,912 Posts
only specific ones have beeen confirmed to work flawlessly. The most compatible one iirc is the usb100tx (something like that) from Linksys.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have the right model number (usb100tx), but these things cost at least $35 which is more than a PS2 network adapter (can be had for <$20) would cost. Is it not possible to do PS2 LAN with its network adapter? Thanks

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Can you post a link to the killzone forum you are talking about? As far as I know, I don't think Killzone allows for lan play. But I may be wrong. Can't wait till Tuesday.

·
band
4,912 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure he means next Tuesday; the day Killzone ships.
And here is the post: http://killzone.ng-gamer.nl/forum/topic.php?id=819&page=5 ('stilz' is me)
Right now I'm just trying to figure out the difference between USB ethernet adapter and PS2 network adapter. He said you can play Killzone LAN with some 'know how' and later said to use a 'USB router'.
Since the USB ethernet adapter and the PS2 network adapter each cost about $20, there is no point getting both, is there?
Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My main question now is this: what's the difference between the USB ethernet adapter and the PS2 network adapter? Does the USB one not allow online gaming but allows LAN and vice versa?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
The PS2 one comes with an HDD IIRC.....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
stilz said:
My main question now is this: what's the difference between the USB ethernet adapter and the PS2 network adapter? Does the USB one not allow online gaming but allows LAN and vice versa?
Thanks.
As far as I can tell from the links you gave me, you should be able to play on a lan using the regular network adapter. The usb adapter will only work with some games, regardless of whether you are playing over a LAN or the internet. My advice is to get the regular network adapter. You can get one for cheap at http://www.the-console-corner.com/sony_ps2_network_adaptor.htm.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to think that the regular network adapter would support LAN; the thing is, the information about the game specifically said "no LAN support". Which is why I was happy to hear about the "USB router" method, but the guy that provided the information did not go into details.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
this is what I know about ps2 networking. i have read into it a fair bit but may be wrong about certain specifics and anyone is welcome to correct me.

first off, there is such a thing as networking through usb. this is basically based off the same hardware that the sharkport (relatively newer version that had 2 cords and a middle unit with 2 plugs) used. there is a way to network these things with a usb hub, but it gets complicated. if you really want to learn more about it, look up the datasheet on the prolific 2302 usb networking chip.

there is also a way to network through the firewire/ieee 1394/i-link port. you need a firewire hub and the appropriate cables. the ONLY game i know of that supported this was GT2 and since the firewire port was thrown out in the last couple revisions of the ps2 hardware, i would guess that you wouldnt see this again.

now, you must realize that the ps2 requires a driver for practically every usb peripheral you plug into it. the only exception i can think of is a usb hub, which it natively supports. for anything else, including controllers, keyboards, mice, web cams, etc. the driver is on the game disc and the game/program must use that driver.

this means that any game that doesnt have the specific driver for whatever you want to use, ie a 3com 100tx usb ethernet adapter, will not work with that peripheral AT ALL. from what i understand, any 3rd party peripheral that is not an officially licensed product will NOT have official support. although many previous online-capable games had the driver for the 3com 100tx, it was not supported by sony. i have also heard that sony has pressured devs not to include such a driver to limit people to the officially supported hardware. that being said, if you use a usb ethernet adapter, you run the risk of not being able to go online with games. any online-capable game is required to be compatible with the sony network adapter, so you cant go wrong if you get one of those.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your detailed post. I suppose the support basically varies from game to game. I'll wait till Killzone comes out and go back to ask that guy then.

BTW, this is the cause for all these questions: "The online component is referred to as "Battlefields". We support 16 players online, broadband only (no dialup). This is Internet play - no LAN mode support."
source: link

1 - 14 of 14 Posts