Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on a post that detonators can speed up the emulation, and I would like to know what detonators are. Although it is perhaps a pretty basic question (since everyone seems to know what detonators are), please bear with me. I am new to PSX emulation.
Thank you

·
Registered
680 Posts
Detonator are all in one driver or many would call it unified driver architecture. Complete driver set only for use with nVidia based cards.
TNT series to the latest Geforce3. Different version (mostly the recent ones) can improve the speed of your nVidia cards. But it depends on individual experience, by experimenting each version with fav games or local hardware settings.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Well, I, use detonators to activate bombs to blow up things, but I suppose that has nothing to do with psx emulation..... unless you play Silent Bomber.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Ah Bomb Making 101. There's isn't a kid in my area who doesn't know how to make one using tractor fuel and fertilizier. ;)

·
Registered
551 Posts
is it really that Detonator drivers can speed up emulation? (such on ePSXe or VGS) cause I used that once and my Windows Media Player was messed up! I can't saw any movies full-screen! it will be halved when I pressed Alt+Enter...

·
Registered
26 Posts
You probably got a bad set then. Detonators are still betas after all, so some are a step backwards. Also, some detonators will not work with certain cards (most often tnt2s, but sometimes others). The best bet is to wait a couple days when one comes out, let the braver souls test it, and then base which on to use on if they end up in BSOD land :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Vash is correct certain detonators will almost certainly mess up certain cards. Most of the newest detonator drivers are made for the GeForce 3, a lot of people can't even get the latest drivers to work at all with older cards such as the TNT2, and even on my GeForce 2 Ultra the newest 12.60's actually seem to degrade performance and cause more problems than they fix.

I'd recommend using these detonators for these cards:

TNT1 & 2: detonator 2.xx - 5.xx seem to be best for these cards

GeForce 1, 2, GTS, MX, Ultra: detonator 6.xx - 11.xx

GeForce 3: 12.xx and up

·
Registered
551 Posts
whoooooppss....big mistake then, i yesterday downloaded Detonator version 12.60 for my TNT2 card and I did experience a faster ePSXe and maybe I just use that....If I download 5.xx, did it means a downgrade of overall speed?

·
Registered
680 Posts
For TNT2 users (includes the Ultra). This NVMax article by Tristan might interest you all. Tristan is comparing almost any drivers available for his Diamond V770

just include a screenshot:

second:

OR do yourself a favor and read the real article
HERE on NVMax

you'll notice each driver ability on D3D and OpenGL based on TNT2/Ultra card

·
Registered
551 Posts
hmmm...I don't get it too well, why is on the first try, Detonators version 5.** is faster when the second try show that 5.** is the SLOWEST??? :confused:

·
Registered
551 Posts
ow I forgot this: did these detonators can harm our system? because after I use Detonators (12.**) I only can choose either 640 x 480 or 1024 x 768. There is NO 800 x 600 option!!

anyway, thanks for the article, 404.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Originally posted by beckham_m7u
hmmm...I don't get it too well, why is on the first try, Detonators version 5.** is faster when the second try show that 5.** is the SLOWEST??? :confused:
3dMark test uses D3D, 5.* is good
Quake uses OpenGL 12.* is better

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Originally posted by beckham_m7u
ow I forgot this: did these detonators can harm our system? because after I use Detonators (12.**) I only can choose either 640 x 480 or 1024 x 768. There is NO 800 x 600 option!!

anyway, thanks for the article, 404.
I have a TNT2 ultra. A while back I downloaded the 10.80 detonators and found that 1600x1200 was no longer available in some games. So I reinstalled 5.45 and it was back to normal. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
551 Posts
hey thanks a lot Adair and 404 for your explanations...well i'm downloading the 5.** version hope that'll help me...thanks again... and Asz, don't worry, our computers will still hanging around 6 till 12 months (maybe?) haha... :D :D>>> your spec is completely the same as mine...

·
Registered
551 Posts
anyway, your new (the eye one) avatar is cool, can you tell me where'd you get it? (or do you have an idea where can i get cool pictures)?? thanks

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I had a 400mhz PII till a few months ago. Now I have a celeron 600 O/C to 900mhz. The processor, fan, and slot to socket converter totaled only $115. I'm just saying that you all could get at least a bit better system without much $. try pricewatch.com for bargains

1 - 20 of 28 Posts