Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me the Playstation 2 was games, a huge variety of them, the Wii, I like some of the Nintendo games. When I get a 360, it will largely be because of crappy PC ports with malicious DRM that will sell the 360, which was similar to the N64 where games like Turok and Star Wars Episode 1 Racer were a PIA to get running on my PC due to graphics card issues.

I don't use the PS2 DVD function that much, but it's nice games had the space to spare. I'm not in a hurry for Blu Ray, nor do many of the PS3 game interest me that much.

So from the PS2 to the PS3 (all active consoles) what helped you determine which one(s) to buy? and were you disappointed or happy with your purchases?

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
GCN - Smash Brothers was my main reason. And an impressive looking line up and a lot of promise when it came out. Too bad it end up sucking and being the most dissapointing console i have ever bought.

Xbox - at the time there was only DOA3 and Halo. I didnt liked DOA3 and Halo didnt call my attention and everyone was an anti halo douchbag around me so they didnt exactly convinced me to buy it. But after 3 constant years of suffering and dissapointment with my GC i bought the Xbox and it turned out to be 10,000 times more fun. I frigging love my Xbox and i still do.

Ps2 - The huge amount of games and rpgs that never came out on Xbox and GCN of course. Even tho i still think the console itself its a fragile piece of **** and hate it. The line up it still amazing.

and as for the new ones i still dont own any of them but i do want a Wii and a 360 because of the games. Ps3 not so much. There is only 2 or 3 games i want to play and that isnt enough for me to buy it.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Gamecube was for the free Zelda Wind Waker, and the Ocearna of Time plus Master Quest Pack ins, I liked it and still have around 30 games for it, but the Playstation 2 and XBOX received a lot of games that weren't on the 'Cube.

The XBOX had some nice games my PC couldn't handle at the time and I liked some of the Retro games that weren't out for the Game Cube.

Hmm, I would have to own a PS3 if I purchased every system with a game I liked, but I can't imagine spending $400 for a few games...There's more for the 360 I want, but that's just IMSHO, I don't hold any animosity for gamers who want a PS3 or all 3 systems.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Games and price. Since having a large games library takes time, by the time the library is there, the price is low. It's great how that all works out.

Actually, price is a timing decider. Games are a "which one" decider.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Now it would be games, because I got homebrew / emulation covered with my PSP. Also because I have a beefy PC with good screen I don't need it for home cinema, so Bluray doesn't add much for me, eventually I will get a drive for my PC anyway, besides I'm just a casual movie watcher.

What's also important is the quality of the hardware, I don't want an unreliable noisy piece of garbage, hence why you won't see a 360 in my place. Because my PC is good enough to play any port right now, my console would be the PS3 for the lack of interesting 360 exclusives.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
360 - compatibility with my existing xbox games, titles such as Gears of War, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo 3, and the new controller which is excellent, multimedia streaming.

PS3 - blu-ray, titles such as Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid 4, multimedia streaming.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
the 360 controller needs to have a chain saw taken to it.

Original xbox control is 100000000000000000000000x better

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i can't help it.. it just feels nice and heavy in the hands... it makes it a suitable weapon for *****es that get in the way of the screen.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Well what i owned till PS One was random and involved luck.
So from PS One (which i bought for the games) it was:

Dreamcast: - probably this was the console i wanted more than any other i had, lucky me there where and are still shootem-ups for it XD.
PS2: mainly because of the RPG's.
Currently there aren't enough games out for the new gen consoles that would make me justifying its purchase (PS: if i where to buy a console it would be a XBOX360 though).

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
the xbox 360 was really easy to mod.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
PSP - It was an impulse purchase which i don't regret at all, as the 1.5 firmware was just hacked and there was a downpour of homebrew games and applications released not to mention all the emulators.

Wii - It was the novelty factor and the fact that it could play GC games, i couldn't wait to play all the Metroid Prime games and Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda etc, etc...

PS3 - Since i did't have a PS2 i got the 80Gb MGS4 bundle which IIRC was one of the last ones to have PS2 BC, big plus to me as i could go back to all those great PS2 games that i missed. Couple that with the fact that back then FFXIII was still an exclusive and i wanted to play GT5 (GT5 Prologue is being actively played) and since i live in Angola i couldn't afford to get a console that had a high failure rate (X360).

NDS - There were lots of remakes and fun rythm games on it so i got it this year.

·
Professional Spitter.
972 Posts
The games and the controller. The games need to be regularly hyped with the occasional single commercial in the entire world, and the controller has to be simple. I dont care if the controller is 'ergonomically designed to fit in anyones hands', i just want a simple controller. Thats why i favor the PS2 controller of the Xbox controllers. Its so simple :)

·
Read Only
9,687 Posts
As you say Dennemark games and controllers play the most important role on my console choosing.
I used to like some N64 games like Killer Instinct but the Controller was a disappointment.
The same thing with the Dreamcast, there were a lot of games I was interested but the gamepad was a nightmare in fighting games. Man how I sucked in SF3, CvS2.
Playstation and Playstation 2 match that criteria of good games and a gamepad I feel comfortable with.

·
Professional Spitter.
972 Posts
As you say Dennemark games and controllers play the most important role on my console choosing.
I used to like some N64 games like Killer Instinct but the Controller was a disappointment.
The same thing with the Dreamcast, there were a lot of games I was interested but the gamepad was a nightmare in fighting games. Man how I sucked in SF3, CvS2.
Playstation and Playstation 2 match that criteria of good games and a gamepad I feel comfortable with.
Exactly. All an controller is for is to present the means to interact with your console. If the size, weight and the fitting-in-your-hand is so important, then why do cellphones keep getting more annoying, tv-remotes even bigger with the new touchscreen thing ?

Might as well 'ergonomically design' an cars engine, because god forbid an engine being uncomfortable to hold when you lift it, even if it is no heavier than 2 kg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
PS2 - I got that a looooong time ago to play Final Fantasy X. It's a miracle it still works. My second most played at the moment.

PSP - I wanted to play Valkyrie Profile, which I missed the first time around. And it got a lot of ports and remakes or older games like Star Ocean and Disgaea and Harvest Moon. I just wish they'd port over Suikoden 1+2

DS - Lots of games I want to play. Probably my most played system at the moment. I got the old phat one. And it plays GBA games which is plus.

360 - Is the next one I want. I want to play the new Star Ocean and Infinite Undiscovery. And some other stuff.

So yeah, the library is the most important part to me :lol:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.