Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey.

Im wondering what computer game I shud get for my cousin this Christmas. He's not really into singleplayer games, too cheap for playing multiplayer games that require a monthly fee, but loves playing games online. Im wondering if I should get him HL2 just so he can play CS (or is it too much of a waste since he wont be playing HL2), UT2004 (do ppl still play this?), or anything else?

Im mainly concered about getting a game for him that has no ppl playing online (which wud suck bigtime)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hrmm let me see. I would probrably suggest the following:

Gunbound (still and addicting game, purely MP and is free last I remembered)
Warcraft III + Expansion (This is what I would recommend)
UT2K4
Sacred (A Diablo Clone)
When it comes out but it will probrably be too late for Christmas Guild Wars

That is all I can think off the top of my head.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Toshiro said:
Hrmm let me see. I would probrably suggest the following:

Gunbound (still and addicting game, purely MP and is free last I remembered)
Warcraft III + Expansion (This is what I would recommend)
UT2K4
Sacred (A Diablo Clone)
When it comes out but it will probrably be too late for Christmas Guild Wars

That is all I can think off the top of my head.
Sacred is getting old no? was a good game though...got bored
CS: Source is what im playing right now

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Joint Operations: Typhoo Rising, last time i saw it was free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
re...

Neverwinter nights platinum , it is capable of online play and it is a fantasy storyline to it , and what is best doesnt cost a dime to get online .Sacred is also a good game . Hope I helped .

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hl2 is def the way to go, if his comp can handle it. I know every package comes with CS:source but I'm not too sure which one has DoD:source. CS: source is worth the price of admission.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
i'd avoid sacred if i were you. its like a toned down diablo2. nwn is a good choice, but if he can't find a good server, he'll be server hopping the whole time, which is no fun. other than that, the easiest thing to do is go after the "big name/community/hype" games like HL2 and UT2k4, as people have already mentioned.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How about Jedi Knight:Jedi Acadamy? The graphics suck but that means you dont need a beast of a machine to play it, and the gameplay is great. The lightsabers make it more fun than just a regular shooter, and there's still a sizable online community.

Its a year old so the price should be way down too, if not you might want to try its predecessor jedi outcast.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Haucusuchus said:
How about Jedi Knight:Jedi Acadamy? The graphics suck but that means you dont need a beast of a machine to play it, and the gameplay is great. The lightsabers make it more fun than just a regular shooter, and there's still a sizable online community.

Its a year old so the price should be way down too, if not you might want to try its predecessor jedi outcast.
Very good choice, just be careful some people are rather cheap with certain tactics in MP and when I mean cheap, I mean you may not recover cheap :p

·
Registered
833 Posts
I bought Call of Duty and its actually fun multiplayer game. But i would go with Battlefield 1942.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thx for the suggestions all ! hmm.. he already has NwN, CoD and Battlefield 1942 :)

i guess its gonna be either UT2k4 or Half-life 2 (i think these are bound to have huge online communitites)

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
ive also played Freelancer in LAN (guess theres an online mode that should be even better) and i enjoyed it alot. kinda an old game but runs on every machine i guess (ATI Rage 128 runs it) :p

·
Registered
153 Posts
another one: Rome - Total War has a nice online mode.
sport games are also fun.. Pro Evolution Soccer 4 PC or Need For Speed Underground 2 - both have online modes and are played in pro-leagues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you want first person shooter there is (red dead revolver) and ( dead mans hand) they are good and a bit old I hope that they are released on the pc though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey, if you want to get him a fun multiplayer game and not spend anything, download Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and burn it no a CD. :p

·
band
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey, if you want to get him a fun multiplayer game and not spend anything, download Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and burn it no a CD.
LOL. i wud do that...but then he'd get angry at me :D

Im thinking the best thing for me to do tmw is to pick up UT2k4 GOTY edition on DVD. just the name of it makes it sound like an amazing gift. its either that or HL2, which is on sale at my local Bestbuy ($10 off).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts