Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Anyday now I'm going to change my ISP (currently Verizon DSL), the only thing that's stopping me is the Verizon e-mail account I'm using. I use that e-mail for any thing of importance, such as accounts for online merchants, forums, etc. so it's going to be a real pain to change all of those. The next question is, what to change them to?
I have a Gmail account, but I'm a little worried about its security, due to the fact that Google scan them for ad purposes. Even if those data are well-guarded, I don't want to chance it. I'm certainly not going to use the next ISP's e-mail account, for the above reason.
So what e-mail would you guys use?
Thank you.

· Experenced But New User
866 Posts
I use gmail... never worried about teh reading of my emails... but I guess that that could become a probelm in teh furture for some people. Then again, all emails are stored somewhere and can be read. I dont see whats the difference if its on, say googles servers, rather than yahoo's servers. Is it just the fact that they are scanned everytime you open gmail? I use Outlook 2003 and have never seen an ad yet.

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I agree no matter where it's stored it can be compromised. It's the fact that Google publicly make known that they scan the e-mails. The data obtained to link appropriate ads may not be as secure. Given how powerful Google as a search engine is where my worries come from. This can all be a moot point or irrelevent since I don't know much about it. Hum, I guess I should ask this way:
For sensitive data (say your credit card number), which e-mail would you use? Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, others?

· Just visiting ^_^
8,325 Posts
well I use both gmail and yahoo... regarding security, I think its ok for both...

edit... well regarding on what you said about credit card number or other stuff, you could get the premium service which of course your gonna pay for added security and such. Since gmail is a free one, yahoo would be ok for that... I think :heh:

· PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,398 Posts
Same here, my primary account is now G-mail one (AND STILL CAN'T USE IT FOR NGEMU :( ) and I think it's good.

BTW. what's the point of keeping credit cards number on mail? :/

· Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apologize for my bad wording. I was just using it as an example or an indictation of what I mean by sensitive data.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
KanedA said:
Same here, my primary account is now G-mail one (AND STILL CAN'T USE IT FOR NGEMU :( ) and I think it's good.

BTW. what's the point of keeping credit cards number on mail? :/
Perhaps you can ask an admin directly if he'd make an exception for you? I am using gmail for emuforums, but that is because I changed it before Gmail accounts were banned ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.