Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Not a Registered User
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the obvious answers is skilled programmers, but what is the physical limitations to emulate something 100% with 1:1 setting?

And what is the weakest device a console/system was emulated on?

For example my favourite console the PS1 was emulated on the PSP a device with a 333mhz CPU and 32mb of ram, which to me is a huge disappointment that Sony didn't port this emulator to thier PS1 classic which has 1.5ghz cuad core CPU and 1gb ram, instead they used a free built of PCSXR which has performance and accuracy issues.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,478 Posts
Well the reason for the PSP's good speed and accuracy comes down to its CPU.

Its CPU is MIPS-series which was also used by the PS1, PS2, and N64. Homebrew N64 emulators exist that run quite well. The only reason PS2 is not emulated is because of its vector units which is also why (mostly) it took so long to get games running full speed on PC. Aside from the speedhacks that were added in later, we essentially had to wait for better CPU IPC and SIMD, particularly SSE4.

I remember running ePSXe on a K6-2 300MHz and nVidia TNT2 Ultra at full speed in the games that worked. The K6-2 was a pretty terrible CPU for handling anything 3D.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts