Next Generation Emulation banner

What do you look for in an RPG?

  • Gameplay

    Votes: 18 31.0%
  • Graphics

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Soundtrack

    Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Storyline

    Votes: 36 62.1%
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
^_^
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the obvious answer would be everything :rolleyes:

but guess what, we don't live in a perfect world and i just wonder if you guys were offered a game which got only "One" of these right, which one would you choose?
 

·
^_^
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah role playing and char dev are part of the "storyline" option. i wanted to add them but i decided to keep the list as short as possible :p
 

·
...and now they do.
Joined
·
20,002 Posts
it has to have a SquareSoft logo. if there's none of that, its not worth playing. because Square is "teh l33t" and all other companies are "teh n00bs". so says "teh eXXXodus"

yay for ID-10T speak.
and on a side note, i think i've reached a new low, sarcastic or not.
 

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
Joined
·
15,407 Posts
What do I look for in a RPG? That it is not made by Squaresoft... other than I'm interested in the battle system and the plot... music and graphics are important but only to finish the package and never should come above gameplay and plot as the main priority.
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
As stated above, characters and plot (Xenogears/Saga), good gameplay/battlesystem like in the Arc the Lad -series is quite important as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
1/ Storyline
2/ Gameplay
3/ Graphics & sound

That's how Xenogears was made :)
 

·
...and now they do.
Joined
·
20,002 Posts
Tori-Yama said:
good gameplay/battlesystem like in the Arc the Lad -series is quite important as well.
are you as "happy" as i am about how the next installment of arc is going to be like? they're basically going to copy the rest of the garbagy games coming out and making it regular ol' real time hack and slash, i believe. the same crappy road that the shining series is going.
 

·
ゲート オーペン!
Joined
·
911 Posts
I would say that obviously the most important aspect is the storyline (duh is a rpg) even though good graphics and gameplay enhance the game, if the storyline sucks you will get bored after a while *looks at chrono cross (I was expecting more from that game T_T)*
 

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
Joined
·
1,951 Posts
Storyline and deep and detailed character relationships. Next would be gameplay, then soundtrack and graphics in tie third place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
A good story, interesting (not flat) characters, anime-esque graphics, and above all else an action-oriented real-time battle system. There is no reason to have command-based battle systems anymore. Today's consoles and computers have more than enough capabilities to be able to battle with characters as you would in an action game. The reason command-based battle systems existed in the first place is that older-system's didn't have the graphical and technical capabilities to do otherwise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,447 Posts
I think that a storyline is the most important part of a story. The graphics aren't that important, but the better they are the easier it is to get the meaning in a story across to the player. The gameplay should be good, but its not all that important, play a platformer if you want good gameplay. Look at Lunar, the battles (IMO) were HORRIBLE, but the story was very well done.
 

·
Jyushi Bismark
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
Exodus said:
are you as "happy" as i am about how the next installment of arc is going to be like? they're basically going to copy the rest of the garbagy games coming out and making it regular ol' real time hack and slash, i believe. the same crappy road that the shining series is going.
It doesn't really matter to me, the real charme of the series ended with the Twilight of Spirit. Actually maybe even with the third one already. Too bad. It had an excellent start.
 

·
...and now they do.
Joined
·
20,002 Posts
Tori-Yama said:
It doesn't really matter to me, the real charme of the series ended with the Twilight of Spirit. Actually maybe even with the third one already. Too bad. It had an excellent start.
yeah, i'm playing through twlight of the spirit now... kind of boring. AtL3 was definetly the best of the series. go lutz!
 

·
Heretic
Joined
·
2,766 Posts
One of the main ways to tell if a game is good or not is the soundtrack. Good soundtrack = good game. Wheres the logic in this? Name a bad game with a decent soundtrack ^^
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,680 Posts
Is Dragon Warrior VII's music that good?
I didn't think Chrono Trigger's music was very good, maybe that's why I think Secret of Mana is a better game? :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26,303 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII. It was a decidedly average game at best, but had some superb tracks in it (I love Ami, Maybe I'm a Lion, the Castle, and the ending theme was superb)
Going the other way, Bare Knuckle III (the Jap and far superior version of SoR III) had some really cack music (esp compared to SoRII) and yet was still a great game (no way near SoRII's level tho)
 

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
Joined
·
15,407 Posts
Vanit said:
One of the main ways to tell if a game is good or not is the soundtrack. Good soundtrack = good game. Wheres the logic in this? Name a bad game with a decent soundtrack ^^
Chrono Cross... crappiest game ever and yet it featured a superb Sound Track... another? FFVIII (although this one is more arguable). Not enough? Then try Grandia X... there goes your logic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Kaiser Sigma said:
Chrono Cross... crappiest game ever and yet it featured a superb Sound Track... another? FFVIII (although this one is more arguable). Not enough? Then try Grandia X... there goes your logic.
You thought Crono Cross was the crappiest game ever?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,680 Posts
Bare Knuckle / Streets of Rage III was a RPG?
 
1 - 20 of 129 Posts
Top