Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Unlimited...
6,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think of Left 4 Dead: 2?

I just saw this

A concise list of what people are actually angry about - Page 99 - Steam Users' Forums

Steam Community :: Group :: L4D2 Boycott

The few people here who defend the decision to make L4D2 seem to not understand what everyone is upset about. I've tried to summarize the most common issues I've heard people having in hopes that it clears things up:

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release
Valve's False Promises
Valve details post Left 4 Dead launch plans - Left 4 Dead for Xbox 360 News - VideoGamer.com

A lot of people are angry about the sequel and i can clearly see why. L4D its a pretty recent game but it needs more content and instead of that Valve directly makes the sequel. The new one looks identical to the first one but with enviroments that doesnt fit the game and new characters nobody likes. I can see this from EA but Valve? come on =\

·
Demon
1,204 Posts
* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic
* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

I agree with bolded.

I'm still waiting for Half Life: Episode 3 announcement :S

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
The teaser trailer takes place in New Orleans, Louisiana along Bourbon Street.

For accuracy's sake, where are all the black guys?

Also, why isn't this an add-on? Unless this game is supposed to have a slew of levels, I see this more as a good add-on candidate.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I welcome L4D2, primarily due to the large amount of changes it makes. 2 appears to make a lot of changes-too many to put into the first. Crescendo events are completely different, there's a lot of new campaigns, some sort of new gameplay mode that nobody's seen yet, probably 2-3 new special infected, new weapons, and the completely new addition of 4 melee weapons which probably have different attributes. While I'm not too excited about spending another $50 on L4D2, I plan to buy it on Xbox 360- then I'll have 1 for the PC and 2 for the 360, which is an obvious advantage.

·
Is it a dream...
616 Posts
I agree with most of those points. personally I got the game because they stated they were going to take the TF2 approach and deliver new content. I found the game a bit lacking as-is so i'm sorta on/off with it. also the game has a bunch of flaws since launch, and i was wondering just why they still weren't fixed, and it seems it was because they started on a new version right after release. not only that, but the sdk was continually delayed, and its still not completely out yet. now that they revealed l4d2, it seems that it was intentionally delayed to force the first game into early obsolescence. the mod community could have given the first game legs, but instead they were holding it back closer to the new games release so that people will wait to make mods for the 2nd game instead of the 1st.

I'm not as rabid as the people on the steam forums, but i am a bit irked and probably not gonna get the 2nd. not out of hate or anything, just... ehh... nothing really surprised or interested me from what i've seen... ... ... yet...

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
They said they wanted to keep updating the first game, it doesn't look like they're just abandoning the game to rot like everyone seems to be assuming.
Based on most of the reactions I see it seems like the game is just obsolete now and there's no reason to play it anymore. (Not only is the sequel only released in November, but Valve is still gonna take care of the first game anyway, and it's not like it's gonna get BORING all of a sudden because a new version is out. If you can't enjoy what you have because a new slightly shinier version of the product you're using has been released, the problem *may* be you.)

The sequel also looks a little bit like an alternative to me, different atmosphere, different kind of characters, the gameplay also looks slightly different. (sure, there's gonna be quite a bit more content too, mainly weapons, but those do add to the change in how you'll play)

It would have been nicer for them to go for the add-on road, since right now players feel like their game is being replaced even tho it's not the case, but I still think a *lot* of gamers are simply overreacting.
It's definitely not Valve's best move, but people need to take a step back, read some of the interviews and actually look at what they have to say (so as to avoid just assuming too much) and not go "ZOMG FU VALVE STOP STEALING MAH MONAI".

(An Add-on wouldn't be a bad idea, but it would block new players from joining in the fun, which Valve probably wants to avoid. If they simply made it some kind of "upgrade" instead tho it would probably be well received. Like "People who bought L4D can pay 25-30$ to get all of the new stuff, new players pay 50-60$ for L4D2")

the mod community could have given the first game legs, but instead they were holding it back closer to the new games release so that people will wait to make mods for the 2nd game instead of the 1st.
They actually said stuff made for L4D would be compatible with L4D2 and that they wanted to keep the community together, ot separate it.

·
Is it a dream...
616 Posts
i'm still going to be playing l4d off and on like i have been, its not obsolete to me, and they have stated l4d1 will be updated, but if you read that one article posted (the post l4d plans one), the one that got me to buy the game, they promised A LOT... and with i second game coming, ahh... i really don't see the first getting "more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements" and you know that delivering anything less than what they stated won't stop the RAGE! They have an uphill battle to win over the people who feel wronged

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Well not every =/.
Part of the hate some players must have probably comes from feeling like they'll have to pay full price a second time, for a game that may not be fully original/different from the first.
It's way too early to be truly certain if that will be the case, so going on war with L4D2/Valve and "boycotting" the game so early is a bad idea, but I can see why they'd feel that way.

(That's why I think simply giving the option to "upgrade" would alleviate some of the resentment players may have toward the sequel. They won't feel like they're paying full price for half/three-quarter of a game (which may or may not end up being true, still way too early to tell). But in general Valve seems to be close to their community and seem to monitor greatly what they like and hate (that was particularly true with maps in TF2) so they'll probably do something to make players happy.)

i'm still going to be playing l4d off and on like i have been, its not obsolete to me, and they have stated l4d1 will be updated, but if you read that one article posted (the post l4d plans one), the one that got me to buy the game, they promised A LOT... and with i second game coming, ahh... i really don't see the first getting "more movies, more characters, more weapons, unlockables, achievements" and you know that delivering anything less than what they stated won't stop the RAGE! They have an uphill battle to win over the people who feel wronged
It's true that they probably reduced their plans compared to what they thought they would at first, they may think about it a little bit more now because of all the backlash. Valve knows that their biggest appeal is making players happy, they'll probably try to make up for it and win them back. (tho they also know that players are drama queens who are harder to please than a 16 years old girl, so maybe they'll just go "let's wait for them to calm down and go on a shopping spree, with our games if possible, which would be bad.).

·
Is it a dream...
616 Posts
It's true that they probably reduced their plans compared to what they thought they would at first, they may think about it a little bit more now because of all the backlash. Valve knows that their biggest appeal is making players happy, they'll probably try to make up for it and win them back.
True, that may very well happen. I think L4D still has a ton of life left in it, people love the characters (hell, i love the characters! they are the most non-generic, generic characters i've ever seen!) and the team does seem to love what they created, so i'm sure they aren't just gonna... well, leave them for dead...

I'm still on "wait and see" mode for 2. again, nothing really popping and making me go "YES! DADDY WANTS!" but neither did the first game too till i spent some time with it...

Honestly, my biggest "hate" with l4d2 is the fact that... I REALLY don't wanna have 2 games. I don't want to have to close L4D to play with someone in l4D2, and vice-versa. It would be nice to just have everything in one package. and maybe have the flame rounds and new infected in the "old" levels. they stated they were thinking of including l4d 1 on the same disk as 2, but they would have to see if it is wanted by the community... and well, i don't think they are gonna get to much constructive info out of that right now...

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I'd wait until we get a suggested retail price (unless there has been one...). If it's being sold at regular price for a game, they're *******s. If it's being sold at an expansion price, it's cool.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Loved the first one, the next one looks just as good. I don't want to pay the same amount of money for the first game and end up playing in samey levels, or to continue using the same characters. I love the gameplay mechanics of Left 4 Dead and if they can improve on them for the sequel it will be great. New characters, new weapons, killing zombies during the day, new enemies, variations of existing ones, interaction with other survivors (there is apparently a city of non infected people to go through) new melee weapons, sequential chapters, it's going to be great.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Fo sho. I found that L4D was incredibly playable on the 360, with really tight controls and if Valve can maintain the great control method, then L4D2 will feel just as playable. Man I cant wait.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
I think every person who purchased Left 4 Dead has a right to an opinion and that one opinion is not better than another.

My opinion is that I'm uninterested in buying a sequel to the game, but if gamers want to buy the sequel, that is their choice, I believe I will get my money's worth out of the original, but I only paid $23.99 for it on a Steam deal, so my opinion may be different than someone who paid $39.99 or more for the game.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.