Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just visiting ^_^
8,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... well here's the situation. Currently, I have about 3 HD, two of them are 40 GB which is a primary and a slave and I have a 20 GB that I use to transfer files from the office to my PC at home. Recently, I've been encountering crash or power fluctuation or something that cause my primary slave (one of the 40 GB) to be corrupt (and all the files in that 40 GB are unrecoverable :cry: ). Also, my 20 HD is quite old is beginning to fail. But this 20 GB will be my last priority

So I'm planning to buy a new HD tomorow... maybe a 120 GB or something. So here are the question:

1. What disk capacity is better for our primary HD? Would it be the 40 GB that is currently my primary HD or should I use the 120 as the primary HD and make the 40 GB as the slave? If so, please give me some reason why I should use that HD for my primary.

2. For choosing a HD, what do you think is the HD capacity that is stable? Well, here are the capacity that I could choose from and its brand:

Maxtor: 120 GB and 200GB
Seagate Baraccuda: 120, 160 and 200 GB

As for this one, I could buy the 120 GB with cash at hand... adding a little for the 160 Gb is ok (its still in the budget) and as for the 200 GB (I will have to borrow some from my folks :D) But among these, which is much more stable if you guys have bought one or read some reviews.

Thanks guys in advance :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Personally I'd use the 40GB for the OS installation. I can't really see why anyone would need any bigger. You don't want your OS to be on a disk where files are frequently moved/created/deleted as it causes a lot of fragmentation. Use the bigger disk as a working disk for whatever it is you do.

What is your budget exactly? 200GB is dirt cheap, so unless you are severely limited go for that. As for the brand, I own a few Maxtors and a couple of Barracudas. Never really noticed any difference between them. Barring any misuse either should be suitable for general purpose stuff and will last a long time.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I would use the smaller HD for the OS partition. That's what I do, as if I need to format - 1. it takes less time, 2. I don't lose important files as they are on the larger HD.

I also would lean torwards Seagate. I've had a Maxtor fail on me through no fault of my own.

·
カラム
365 Posts
Same for me, use the smaller one as the primary HD. Even though I have 2 40GBs, I use the Samsung SATA one for the OS clearly because it's the faster one (7200RPMs) and I use the Seagate PATA one for storage. Samsung is a brand to consider too in buying HDs :).

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
The only reason I'd use the larger hard drive is for performance. And between the generations it sounds like we're talking about, there likely is a large difference in performance.

Compare the two. Put the OS on the faster one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.