- Half Life Blue Shift
- Half Life Opposing Force
- RIP Trilogy
- Alien Shooter: Vengeance

All of that for less than 50 bucks :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
I was thinking about it... if i weren't moving in 2 days i woulda got some... only thing i saw that grabbed me was bioshock for $5.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
If I wasn't so hell bent on having the DVD and all that other stuff when I buy a game, I'd have picked up Bioshock and L4D.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
It's probably worth mentioning that everything is on sale from 10% up to 75% off until January 2nd.

I picked up:

Aquaria
Audiosurf
Bullet Candy
Eets
Far Cry
Grand Theft Auto IV
I-Fluid
Left 4 Dead
Peggle Deluxe
World of Goo
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Prince of Persia Pack
Tomb Raider: Underworld

If I wasn't so hell bent on having the DVD and all that other stuff when I buy a game, I'd have picked up Bioshock and L4D.
You can easily back up your downloaded games so they don't eat up excess HDD space or require you to re-download them. After which, you can burn them to CD, DVD, or copy the back up files to a backup HDD.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,699 Posts
hm, that makes the euro prices closer to what they were before steam recently decided that 1 euro = 1 dollar.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I was going to get GTAIV but 14GB download... no thank you.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
You can easily back up your downloaded games so they don't eat up excess HDD space or require you to re-download them. After which, you can burn them to CD, DVD, or copy the back up files to a backup HDD.
I know, but I still don't get the extra stuff that comes with a retail purchase.

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Bejeweled 2 Deluxe, Bioshock, Doom 2, Luxor 2...
$1 + $5 + $1 + $1 - $8

Not bad...

Didn't the retail version of Bioshock have evil DRM such as limited installs?

I really wanted Bioshock, it's almost downloaded, no I'm not buying Grand Theft Auto IV and downloading a 14 gyg file, 7-8 gygs was bad enough...

Thanks for letting me know about the sale...

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Didn't the retail version of Bioshock have evil DRM such as limited installs?
Yes. Eventually a patch was released that removed it. (The Steam version never had DRM though)

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
It's too bad they all don't remove DRM after the games life cycle, or after a set period of time. You don't know how badly I wish there was a patch or DRM free Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe for the PC.

Damn Starforce...

·
Registered
10,637 Posts

Yeah, I backed up everything I have except Half Life 2 *including Ep 1&2, Death Match, and Lost Coast,* and Half Life Source and I plan on backing them up after I decide if I want Portal, I doubt I'll buy Team Fortress 2...

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,699 Posts
careful with those backups though... I found them to be a bit unreliable. Most games backed up fine, but L4D and GTAIV didn't for me... especially GTAIV, they must have done that on purpose ;p

got me World of Goo (15 euros)... ok, so effectively I'm still paying a little over $20, but that's better than what it'll be after jan 2nd...

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Other than the ones you listed, what other games did you have trouble backing up?

I don't want Grand Theft Auto IV for the PC unless it's really fixed a lot more than it is currently, and I doubt I'll get Left 4 Dead.

I might get Grand Theft Auto IV for the 360 after I get a 360, and it will be used.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
The prices are top notch and the ability to save your games online is awesome. Its also easy to make backups. The problem with buying from steam is that some games are just WAYYYYYYY too big to download. I am surprised they don't use some compression in the games to limit this.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Very interesting puzzle-platformer. Nice graphics to boot. Had trouble getting it to actually start though. I checked out the Steam forums and got the answer. I was missing a few dlls.

Currently stuck on level 7. Jumping from plant leaves was a serious pain in the @$$.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Today I verified that games downloaded from Steam are, in fact, compressed. I tested it by re-downloading Half-Life 2. The game requires ~3.5GB of HDD space. I opened up the Bandwidth monitor (view > Bandwidth monitor) and it registered ~1GB of downloaded data.

Too bad they don't tell you how much data actually needs to be downloaded ahead of time. Perhaps I should make a thread in the Steam forums asking if that could be added.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts