Next Generation Emulation banner

What Car Should I Buy For Under $25,000.00. Vote Here! :)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*UPDATE #2* Removed all coupes (2005 Scion tC & 2005 Acura RSX Type-S) and 2005 Volkswagen Jetta GLI due to reports on bad reliability. I retract my statement on hating American cars as I found Dodge's 2005 Neon SRT-4.

*UPDATE #1* Removed 2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX & replaced it with a 2005 Scion tC.

*****Can a mod please edit my poll choices as I have change the cars. Thanks in advance!*****

I have narrowed it down to 2 cars. I like Sport Compact Cars that are Import s or Domestic sedans and are under $25,000.00. *DELETED* I hate American cars even though I am American. *DELETED* I picked these two cars because of their insurance rates, gas mileage, True Cost to Own, being able to add options and not going over my buget, reliability, etc. I did my research at Edmunds.com and I am quite knowledgeable about cars but I have never bought one before. I will be deploying to Iraq in September of 2005 on a MEU and as a Lance Corporal I should come back from my seven month float with about $12,000.00. I built the cars with all the options from the manufactor that I liked. Check out the cars and vote and post your comments and/or suggestions! Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NOTICE : I live in America! :)

Listed By Highest Price To Lowest Price.

2005 Mazda3 s

Price: $23,700.00
Horsepower: 160 hp 2.3L DOHC 4 Cylinder
Torque: 150 lb-ft
Redline: 6500 RPM
Transmission: 4-Speed Automatic FWD
Top speed : 118 mph (electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 7.5 sec.(manual), 8.0 sec.(auto)
0-¼ mile : 15.7 sec @ 89.0 mph (manual)
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g
Wheels: 17-inch Alloy
Gas Mileage: 24mpg City/29mpg Highway
True Cost to Own (5 Years): N/A
Edmunds Editor's Rating: 8.4
Edmunds Consumer's Rating: 9.3

Exterior

Interior

Engine

Other

What Edmunds.com Says
Good looks, strong engines and sharp handling add up to an economy car that feels anything but cheap.

Pros
Fun-to-drive character, stylish interior design, strong engines, hatchback utility.

Cons
Ride might be too stiff for some, a few ergonomic quirks, tight rear legroom.

What's New for 2005
All new for 2004, the Mazda 3 receives only minor changes for 2005. The four-door "i" model gets a new 15-inch wheel cover design, and Sirius Satellite Radio is now available on all models.

2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Price: $22,740.00
Horsepower: 230 hp 2.4L DOHC 4 Cylinder
Torque: 250 lb-ft
Redline: 5100 RPM
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual FWD
Top speed : 153 mph
0-60 mph : 5.6 sec.
0-¼ mile : 14.2 sec @ 102.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 120 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.85 g
Wheels: 17 inch Aluminum
Gas Mileage: 22mpg City/30mpg Highway
True Cost to Own (5 Years): N/A
Edmunds Editor's Rating: 7.5
Edmunds Consumer's Rating: 8.9

Exterior

Interior

Engine

Other

What Edmunds.com Says
A ridiculously fast econobox with the suspension to back it up, the SRT-4 is undeniably the most performance you can buy for $20K.

Pros
More power than a $20K car has any business having, near perfect suspension tuning, throaty exhaust snarl, serious seat bolstering.

Cons
Lacks refinement, some low-grade interior components.

What's New for 2005
A new option this year is the Kicker/SRT Livin' Loud audio system that included a six-disc CD changer, two one-inch Neodymium tweeters, two 75-watt 5.5-inch full-range speakers, two 90-watt 6x9 coaxials and a 10-inch 100-watt SVC amplified subwoofer.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
the first sounds the best based on the review at the bottom, but the mazda looks the sharpest :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would go with the Acura RSX from the four you have listed there. And if you like sporty cars the Civic is out of the question, and to me sporty cars shouldn't have four doors. The only four door sports car that is any good is the M5.

Oh and in case you are interested here's my picks in order:
1. Acura RSX
2. Mazda 3
3. Honda Civic
4. VW Jetta

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you guys think about the new 2005 Scion tC? I decide to take out the 2005 Honda Civic Sedan EX and replace it with a sportier car. Can I mod please change the poll options please! Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd go with the Acura also. They're a blast to drive, rev forever! Why'd you pick the Jetta instead of the GTi/Golf? The handling is much better in the Gti/Golf compared to the Jetta. And the fact it weighs less also make it feel like it has more power. Not to mention even better gas mileage and it's more stylish.

The Scion line I kinda compare to the Saturn line. No need to elaborate.
Mazda did better with the Mazda 6 and the RX-8. They gave me a 2004 Mazda 6 for a loaner when my Golf was in the shop. Everything is great about that car 'cept for that crappy semi-automatic. Even though that car is kinda huge, the handling will surprise you. I know that's out of the price range you gave, but it's something to think about.

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Why Don't you buy a $15,000 car and Give $10,000 to your good buddy N1ghtw0lf ;). But i don't really know much about cars, aside from $25,000 being an amount of money i would never spend on a car :p

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
om3gablue said:
I'd go with the Acura also. They're a blast to drive, rev forever! Why'd you pick the Jetta instead of the GTi/Golf? The handling is much better in the Gti/Golf compared to the Jetta. And the fact it weighs less also make it feel like it has more power. Not to mention even better gas mileage and it's more stylish.

The Scion line I kinda compare to the Saturn line. No need to elaborate.
Mazda did better with the Mazda 6 and the RX-8. They gave me a 2004 Mazda 6 for a loaner when my Golf was in the shop. Everything is great about that car 'cept for that crappy semi-automatic. Even though that car is kinda huge, the handling will surprise you. I know that's out of the price range you gave, but it's something to think about.
I looked at the 2005 Volkswagen Golf/GTI and it didn't appeal to me that much. Maybe the R32 but that's over 30Gs. Maybe if they come out with a new look and more interior room then maybe I would reconsider.

And your comment about Scion and comparing it to the Saturn line damn. I didn't know it was that bad. I thought Scion was suppose to be a great quality car at a bargain price and has many options that ricers would enjoy. Damn.....

·
Registered
195 Posts
The Scion Tc is okay still not better than the Acura, but if you did want to get the Scion you better get the optional turbocharger, otherwise I don't think it's really worth the money.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
definitely the VW, they are safe and sturdy cars, the GLI is pretty quick as well.

of course, for such a price you could consider MY personal next car, the Volvo S40. i'll probably be getting it for HS graduation in a few months, check out www.allnews40.com . i drove it for a few days (my mom got it from the dealership on a borrow thing), even the base model (i.e. no options except for auto trans) is very quiet, quick, and fun to drive. it's a tiny car, like 2 feet shorter than my Accord, and there's a turbo 4wd one with 268hp, i guarantee with the 6 speed manual that thing is a rocket ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not saying that Scion is bad, it's just that their line is aimed at the cost-wise consumer. Like Saturn. Just think of a Saturn with mods done to the interior and engine. That's kinda what you get. Reliabilty is undetermined because it's virtually a new company governed buy their parent company. You don't know where they cut money to make the cars cheaper.

The Volkwagen car of choice is the Golf 1.8T. R32 is overated. All the VW meets I go to say the 1.8T get the most bang for the buck. Highly modifiable, just adding a new chip wakes the engine up so much, you'd think it's another car.

The only and best way you'll know what you really want is to test drive each car. And don't do that crappy dealership "drive around the block" test drive. You're about to drop some serious money and they want it, take that thing out and have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Maybe I should wait because the Volkswagen Jetta and Acura RSX are coming out with all new models for 2006 and Mazda's 3 is coming out with a Mazdaspeed version in 2005. Plus this is the first year for Scion's tC so I should wait for next year's model so they can work all the quirks and bugs out.

What Edmunds.com Says: It may be Volkswagen's entry-level sedan, but with more room and more power there's not going to be anything "entry-level" about it.

What We Know: This all-new Jetta will be based on the same platform as the Golf that debuted in Europe last fall. The revamped Jetta will get a longer wheelbase and a wider track, but the styling isn't likely to differ much from the current version. The engine lineup won't change much either, but the 3.2-liter V6 is a possible addition. It's expected to go on sale in the U.S. next spring.

All-new sedan and, eventually, wagon based on the Mk IV Golf platform. Expect a longer, wider car with stronger engines, all shared with the Golf. To be launched winter '05.

No Spy Shots Available

Redesign. Given the 2005 updates, we suspect the new RSX will be a 2007.

Mazda plans to take on the VW Golf GTi with a 220bhp, 150mph MPS version of the Mazda 3 hatchback, extending the performance theme started by the 6 MPS (right). And Mazda is planning a return to top-level motor sport to push the Mazda Performance Series brand, which will also include hot versions of the RX-8 and forthcoming MX-5 and RX-7.

Due in 2006, the front-drive Mazda 3 MPS will share its looks with the MX Sportif concept of 2003 (pictured above), and use a detuned version of the 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine from the 6 MPS. Expect a similar 0-60mph time of around 6.5sec. The 3’s lighter weight and lower power means it can cope without the four-wheel-drive system of its bigger brother.

The engine shares its turbocharged, directly injected format with the 197bhp 2.0-litre Golf, but the 3 MPS will use its extra capacity to challenge the 222bhp Renault Mégane Renaultsport, currently the most powerful four-cylinder car in the class.

But Mazda’s engineering chief Joe Bakaj insists there will be no MPS version of the forthcoming Mazda 5 midi-MPV, and no hatchback or estate versions of the 6 MPS, because they cannot be made stiff enough. ‘We will only put an MPS badge on a car if it is credible,’ he insisted.

Bakaj and his team are examining electric turbos and superchargers to uprate the 228bhp Renesis rotary engine for MPS versions of the RX-8 and forthcoming two-seat RX-7. But he has ruled out using the Renesis in the new MX-5, due next year.

Mazda is also working on a hybrid version of the RX-8, and plans to build a small fleet for use by the Japanese government. An H2-powered RX-8 could go on sale as soon as there are sufficient hydrogen refuelling stations, likely to be first in California.

·
Registered
184 Posts
"forthcoming MX-5 and RX-7" My dreams are coming true! I didn't even realize it's getting that close. If I start saving now, I might be able to drop a nice down-payment on it within 3 years.

Dude, scratch all those other cars, wait for the 7. Find a cheap beater car (that's where Honda comes in) and just wait. If they don't follow the same design flaws as the 3rd gen RX-7s, it'll do fine. Dynos have proven that a slightly bigger, single turbo setup put less strain on the cooling system netting more miles on the engine. Rotary powered baby. That with 50/50 weight distribution and pretty light chassis will give you the best power to weight ratio. Now I gotta hit the Mazda forums and see what's going on...

:edit Here's the New Jetta V

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
om3gablue said:
"forthcoming MX-5 and RX-7" My dreams are coming true! I didn't even realize it's getting that close. If I start saving now, I might be able to drop a nice down-payment on it within 3 years.

Dude, scratch all those other cars, wait for the 7. Find a cheap beater car (that's where Honda comes in) and just wait. If they don't follow the same design flaws as the 3rd gen RX-7s, it'll do fine. Dynos have proven that a slightly bigger, single turbo setup put less strain on the cooling system netting more miles on the engine. Rotary powered baby. That with 50/50 weight distribution and pretty light chassis will give you the best power to weight ratio. Now I gotta hit the Mazda forums and see what's going on...
WTF? I thought the RX-8 replaced the RX-7. Are they bringing the RX-7 back or something? Do you have any links man? The only information I have is:

If the RX-8 is the success Mazda is banking on, a two-door RX-7 may follow for 2006. On the drawing board is a shortened, lighter car boasting 280-330 hp.
And

Mazda is developing a new version of its RX-7 two-seater sports car.

Product development boss Joe Bakaj told What Car? that the lightweight performer will sit above the RX-8, so expect to pay at least £22,000 to £24,000.

The two-door coupe will use the RX-8’s rotary engine. This already develops between 189bhp and 228bhp, but Mazda is hoping to get more power from it in the future. The company has given no timescale on this project, but has said it is looking at the possibility of turbocharging or supercharging the engine to get more from it.

Although the previous RX-7 has only recently finished production, the car has not been sold in the UK since 1995 when it was offered with 237bhp.

Other sporty models in the pipeline for Mazda include a string of MPS (Mazda Performance Series) cars. The first is the 257bhp 6 MPS, which sprints to 60mph in 6.5sec. It should cost from around £25,000 when it goes on sale towards the end of next year.

Bakaj said the high-performance 6’s 2.3-litre turbocharged engine fits into the 3 hatchback, which suggests this may be the next model in the new MPS line-up. The MX-5 roadster, which arrives towards the end of next year, is another prime candidate for an MPS derivative

Damn!! 22,000 Euro = 29,253.4 US Dollars!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :cry:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not much, just that it's coming. I can only image what this thing looks like. 2 months ago when I looking for a car I found a '95 RX-7. But it was sold less than 5 hours before I arrived. Damn that thing was beautiful, they had just finished detailing it when I pulled in. That's what I get for sleeping in...

We'll probably start hearing more about it around spring time. A new horsepower war is in the making.

Chrome is the magic ugly maker. I will never understand why people insist on putting chrome on everything. Motorcycles, yes. Rims, yes. Door moulding, hell no. I find nothing exotic about chrome grills and mouldings. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another guy at another forums said

fO Che -USA- said:
man get a four door, your up in the 20s dont be sadled with a tiny sh!tbox were you have to scoot your seat back to let your peeps in. If the acura was really fast i would say go for it but it isnt. Plus its going to get slower the more fat americans you pile in it with its spindly torque numbers.

For me its between the MAZDA and the VW (and I hate VW) but bolth of those seem like more car for the money.

screw the 2doors, you can thank me later.
You know, he's right. I'm going to start looking for sedans now and not coupes. I'll get a coupe when it's only a two seater sports car and extremely fast over 300hp. I'm going to update the cars now and retract my statement of hating American cars! I found Dodge's 2005 Neon SRT-4 and it looks very good. What do you guys think? Check out the first post as I have updated the cars, pictures and added more specs. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts