Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that everything seems more enhanced in hardware mode but in certian areas like negative alpha blending and correct shadowing is not done. FF9 for example, you will notice that the shadows and smoke have a very dim shade but a lot darker and more visable in software mode. A side quest in FF9 where you are required to find a floating island, I ended up switching between hardware and software plugins to find the shadow. Hardware mode can't be perfect correct? Any other effects in FF9 that cannot be done in hardware mode?

·
Registered
183 Posts
All things that you see on an original PSX can be done on a PC with hardware acceleration, because there is almost no software mode in the PSX, 99% of the graphics are hardware accelerated.
There are glitches in FF9 (or any other game) because the plug-in is not optimized enough to do accurate emulation of the PSX effects, but it's technically possible because PSX games look exactly like PC games that are 4 or 5 years old running on cards like the Matrox Mystique or S3 Virge! and when you take a look at the cards that we have now... ;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
As Lewpy has said, doing the FF9 pre-battle "swirl" is difficult to do in hardware. Additionally (and it may be the result of incorrect configuration on my part) I believe that the command windows appear differently in hardware versus software. Namely, in software mode they "pop up" (much like unshading a window under varied Linux window managers) whereas they just sort of appear in hardware mode.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Everything can be done in hardware,it's just harder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts