Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As SSF keeps getting better and better, and the old (once assumed dead) emulators like Satourne and Saturnin are showing signs of life, I was wondering what someone like me can do to help the scene move along?

I'm actually working on my programming skills as we speak, and while I don't feel confident enough to contribute directly to the coding, I'd like to know if there is anything I can do in the mean-time?

Please, post suggestions!

·
Registered
66 Posts
How about a MAME32 type of Front End for SSF?
View a list of Saturn ISOs (verify BIN/CUE) on your hard drive, double click on one and the program automatically mounts the ISO on a virtual drive and starts SSF.
:) :) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
linlhutz, that's actually a great idea. I'll see if I can start working on it sometime the end of this month (once school and band settles down a little).

Borisz, I'll for sure do some compatibility checking with the discs I have and manage to get a hold of. Since ssf is updated on a regular basis, it'll be mostly based on more major revisions of the emulator (this is where you're translations will come in handy, thanks for all your work on those!).

I'll keep everyone posted and hopefully some more ideas will surface as I get started on these things.

I'm gonna do a little more experimenting with yabause and satourne, since they are open source, and see if I can come up with a blueprint for possibly working on getting a smooth Dinput app that will give features similar to the 3D stick controller that came bundled with NiGHTs. It might end up being an exercise in futility, but you never know...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, months overdue for an upadte. I kinda dropped off the face of the earth for a little while. Times are still hectic, but I'm planning on starting coding for the frontend by the third week of September. Unfortunately, it will be slow, but thankfully, the progress made on SSF in that time has been pretty good. More to come later.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
satourne is dead ? Haven't seen it released so far at all since Sep 2, 2006. Same for Saturnin of the last released was Dec 27, 2005. I care about them but SSF is my favorite and they deserve to improvement like SSF but whatever happened to them ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
They're still around ;)
I know for sure that Satourne is still alive, and I'm still working on Saturnin.
Major rewrite + less time combination doesn't help to release new version often ...
But it'll happen, be patient (some more :p)

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
They're still around ;)
I know for sure that Satourne is still alive, and I'm still working on Saturnin.
Major rewrite + less time combination doesn't help to release new version often ...
Good to hear you're still working on it. What happened to segaxtreme by the way? Is it still around and where can I get to it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're still around ;)
Runik, way to go! Glad to hear progress hasn't stopped. Hope the rewrite is going well, as all coders know how it is both difficult but necessary to go through every once in a while and totally change things around. My patience for sure isn't running out anytime soon, but keep me updated as things happen.

And some even more good news: I have FINALLY begun the major first steps in programming a frontend for SSF. The emulator changes pretty frequently, so I'm doing my best to code it in a way that can adapt easily to additions, removals, and changes to the configuration options without requiring a butt-load of time. If I'm feeling gutsy enough, I may end up putting in some kind of skinning system so that people can manage their games in eye-candy ways.

Major props to Borisz for his gumption to make the awesome site dedicated to SSF translations. Keep up the good work, fellas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts