Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***** Please mods, move this thread to the approriate section. I have no idea where this goes. Thanks! :) *****

I have an Alienware Laptop with a TV-out: One S-Video out connector port. Will this work for anything? Don't I need an S-Video IN or something and/or a special program to play PStwo games on my Laptop LCD Monitor? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

SkyeHack

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
s-vid out won't help you.
you need a video capture card, most likely a firewire or a usb 2.0 one in the case of a laptop.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
A smart choice would be to get a VGA box ;) Seatch www.google.com and see what you get. I'm not familiar with many but I know they are the best choice between those and TV cards etc ..

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Ah...our favorite young Marine..
Razor's answer will work for an external monitor, but if you wish to use your laptop LCD you will have to go with Bnome's solution

BTW..we are jealous of your 2 toys ;)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all your good help. However, if I get a USB or Firewire capture card does it come with software that emulates a TV screen or something. Also, can anyone please recommend a good USB/FIREWIRE capture card please? Thanks again guys! :)

Is ATI's TV Wonder USB 2.0 any good. I had an ALL-In-Wonder Card and it was alright. Is there anything any better?

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
>>Razor's answer will work for an external monitor, but if you wish to use your laptop LCD you will have to go with Bnome's solution

Damn you're right :p I keep forgetting about all the inputs etc on laptops :heh:

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
NNNNNNNOOOOO! DO NOT GET AN ATI TV TUNER! The software is horrific! Thankfully I found a little app called ShadowStream that does the bare minimums like watching tv/inputs. Works fine, but take my word; look for alternative cards.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yes actually the software is crap. It took me a few months to get it working right -_- Hauppauge I heard makes some of the best TV cards right now.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Reichfuher said:
NNNNNNNOOOOO! DO NOT GET AN ATI TV TUNER! The software is horrific! Thankfully I found a little app called ShadowStream that does the bare minimums like watching tv/inputs. Works fine, but take my word; look for alternative cards.
But it won't matter if he uses Dscaler. I'm using it right now and it's really good. So far no problems.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ATI TV WONDER USB 2.0 Problems with DScaler 4.1.11 and MMC 9.02! WTF?

I just got my TV tuner and when I try to play gaming consoles and/or watch TV I get a grainy, laggy playback with green lines when there is movement on screen. Are there any settings that I need to use? Anyone else have this TV Tuner? Any help would be greatly apprecaited! Thanks in advance!

Also, this is a quote from ATI themselves. Is this is what is affecting me? I don't know....

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4584.html

TV image may jitter when running in Live mode on TV WONDER USB 2.0

The information in this article applies to the following configurations:

* TV WONDER USB 2.0

When running the ATI TV Player in Live Mode, the TV image may jitter. This jitter may only be apparent during motion.

ATI Engineering is aware of this issue and investigating. Any updates will appear on this page when they become available.

To workaround this issue, please switch to TV-ON-DEMAND mode
Also, there "workaround" doesn't help eithier! :mad:

S

·
0 Posts
I don't know if this will be the solution, but, if you can , try running at a refresh rate similar to the tv's.
e.g. 100hz for PAL PS2 and 60 or 120HZ for NTSC....
It makes it all a bit smoother.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
BTW, that laptop has a vga in, so i think a vga box will fit perfectly.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all your help but I kinda figured it out. I just checked a box to use lower USB Bandwidth and it worked. I don't know. I have USB 2.0 ports and I made sure that I only used 1 out of my 3 ports just for the TV and before it didn't work. But this makes it work. Oh well, thanks guys! I'll be posting pictures later today after I get my new rig setup with everything new in my room I got. :) Thanks again! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts