Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some of those files in my ripped CDs folder, and I don't know what those files are for. Can I delete it?

Plus, there're some sub files, they're pretty large, don't know what in them, is it safe to delete them too?

·
Registered
654 Posts
First of all, when I make disk images, I don't put the image files all in one folder. One reason for this is that the default filename for a lot of Playstation disks is "NEW", so you'd end up overwriting one on top of another. Not good.

Instead, give each game its own folder, and make sure on multidisk games that you give a unique name to each image.

Second, I wouldn't delete the CCD/CUE files, they're only like 1K each. I don't really understand why you'd have both CCD and CUE files, as you should be making all your PS images with the same tool and the same settings. CloneCD and Alcohol 120% both make CCD files.

Third, whether you keep the sub files depends on whether the game you're making an image of uses subchannel reading for copy protection or not. Generally speaking NTSC games don't and some PAL games do, but this is not a hard-and-fast rule so you have to evaluate it game by game.

If a particular game needs to have subchannel reading turned on in order to work in your emulator, then keep the .SUB file, otherwise you can get rid of it.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
dbhankins, you DO know that you can rename your ISO files when you make them right... :???:

frzzy: just keep all the files, its not like they are taking up that much space anyway.

·
Registered
654 Posts
hushypushy said:
dbhankins, you DO know that you can rename your ISO files when you make them right... :???:
"...make sure on multidisk games that you give a unique name to each image."

I suppose I could jam all the image files in one folder. One reason I don't is that accidentally overwriting an existing image file is the kind of error I'm prone to make. Another is that I simply like to have a separate folder for each game, I suppose it appeals to my sense of organization.

hushypushy said:
frzzy: just keep all the files, its not like they are taking up that much space anyway.
If he's made a lot of images and is short on disk space, eliminating a couple dozen .SUB files could free up a half gig.

fRzzy: If you're on Windows 2000 or XP, you might also want to look at turning on folder compression for the folder(s) containing your images. The .IMG files won't compress that much, but you can get as much as 5:1 compression on .SUB files.

Dan

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
if you have a couple dozen PSX ISOs maybe you should be deleting the ISOs themselves :???: that's like 15 gigs of ISOs in the first place....

anyway, i guess i always keep all my stuff in one folder. i have 10k+ music files ripped to the same folder. the filename helps me tell them apart ;)

also, i wouldnt recommend XP's folder compression. yeah, it saves hard drive space, but at the cost of performance (when it decompresses).

if you're REALLY desperate to save space, dont make an ISO. simple as that. taking tiny little shortcuts like deleting a 29mb subchannel file or compressing them are pennies on teh dollar compared to the full 700 mb ISO. i just looked at my small collection of ripped ISOs, 2.15gb of bin/ccd and 90mb of subchannel files. that's 4% :rolleyes:

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm going to have to go ahead and kind of disagree with you on the performance issue. Unless you have a really slow CPU or very little memory, the time you save in reading from the HD more than makes up for the time the CPU spends decomressing the data.

I got my first verifiable taste of this when I unpacked Doom3's PK4 files and the game loaded noticeably slower. Tried it both ways and timed it, twice.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to compress the images into isz format (PSXeven), my images folder come down to 84GB from 135GB :D

Wow, that's cool...

Any other files I compressed them into 7z format... when I need some sub file I'll decompress it back...

50GB available :D

Thank you all for your help...

PS: About organize musics, you should use foobar2000, it'll save you lot of time and effort. I never found it hard to find any song in my 43GB MP3s ;)

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
well, if you have a crapload of ISOs then it will make a difference to compress them, i suppose.

btw, i have ~62gb of music (about 14k files) and i use winamp. it has a great media library ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.