Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, well I dont have the money at the moment to upgrade my entire system nor a motherboard for PCI Express. I was wondering what you guys would recommend me getting. Something that wont break the bank. I currently own a rather old Geforce4 TI 4200 128mb DDR.
My specs are also;
Amd Athlon XP 2600+
512mb of DDR RAM
I'm a rather big gamer and seeing as games like Battlefield 2 is completely unplayable for me due to outdated pixel shader version(cur: 1.3) and it requireds 2.0. So I need to know what type of graphic card I need that is also AGP slot and below $200 AU. I appreciate any suggestions

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
6600GT or x800GT?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
BF2 requires 1.4.. but uses 2.0 to a good extent.

Yeah, a 6600GT or X800GT. For the most part, the X800 GT is a good bit faster, though, and about the same price.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
I'd say replacing that Ti 4200 first would be the smarter choice.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
If its only one game (i.e. BF2) I wont recommend getting a new video card. We have pretty similar specs and most current pc games should run fine. If you are willing to play BF2 give 3danalyze (a software that emulates (as well as bypasses) pixel shaders and lots of other stuff) a try.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
james.miller said:
i certinaly wouldnt buy a new AGP card. they are rocketing up in price now. get a 2nd hand 6600gt or 6800nu, but dont even bother buying a new one!

Yeah, AGP cards are ridiculously high, and they are even soon-obsolete technology! 6800GT AGP costs about 400$, where PCI-E costs only around 300$. WTF?

Standard 6600 isnt worth of the money i believe. It was slow already when it came, and if its supposed to last few years, not a wise choice.

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
A lot of people running 6600 GT in the AGP port has a lot of problems with it not working correctly, I would reccomend againts it.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
ChankastRules said:
A lot of people running 6600 GT in the AGP port has a lot of problems with it not working correctly, I would reccomend againts it.
Eh..? Mines fine. Maybe its just the lack of power for some...

If I were you I'd put money into the RAM...
You should get Dual-Channel 1gb. (2 x 512mb). Makes a big difference in games. Also, i'd reccomend a GeForce 6800.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
try and get some used card then since it will be cheaper but make sure it's from a reliable source.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.