Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my PS2 to college and got a cheap TV to go with it. However, I soon grew tired of this, because I like everything to be consolidated--all of my games on one machine, doggonit!

Well, my Averatec laptop sure as heck ain't gonna be playin no PCSX2, demos OR commercial games. So, I bought a TV-Tuner--a Transcend "TV-Box USB2.0".

Here's a review: http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/tvbox/

I have to say, the thing works great. It doesn't get all of my cable channels for some reason, but now I can play PS2 games on my laptop... sorta. :) While it lacks the principle advantages of emulation--high-res 3D and state-saving--I can do screenshots and movies, zoom in, and maintain controller function when I'm in another program (like a FAQ in Notepad) which is pretty sweet.

Another advantage is that I can plug the PS2's composite audio directly into my 3-piece speaker set, for "to-die-for" audio.

Picture quality, however, is a mixed blessing. It looks like a TV, which is both good and bad. Good because televisions filter graphics differently than emulators, so that pixellation doesn't look very bad (not even for PS1 games)... bad because it's kinda fuzzy.

I'll post some screen-shots, including some comparison shots of the TV-Tuner vs. ePSXe.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Cool. Sounds like a fun side thing to do :D Can't wait to see some shots :p

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here we go

Like I said, they're kind of fuzzy.The screen shots don't really do justice to the gameplay. But it works!

Those gray lines above and below are a nuisance. I got rid of them by using a CRT monitor and adjusting the picture so that they moved off the edges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts