Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As it would turn out, I liked Linux so much that because it was running so slow on the USB drive; I decided that it would be a decent idea to Dual Boot it from my storage drive for better speed.

...and as it would turn out, I deleted 10 days worth of music, around 2,100 program installers, 7 years worth of graphic art, every installed program on the drive, a huge stock of .iso'd DVDs, and all of my roms and emulators.

Just pity me. I feel like I'm dead right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, without knowing exactly what you did to hose yourself up... I would recommend that you:

1. Learn to make a backup regularly
2. Recover the drive with proper drive recovery software before going any further.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2. Recover the drive with proper drive recovery software before going any further.
It's running right now. All I want is my wedding pictures. That's all I care about enough to recode and rename. It's already bad enough that I have to sort through thousands of unnamed pictures.

I've got a friend lined up who used the drive for the same purpose and we share a similar program taste. I can probably get around 85% of my program installers and .iso's back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want the entire drive back in the same state as before, use "GetDataBack for NTFS". I've used this on drives that were completely hosed and never had an issue with recovering everything. It's not free, but its good.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Did you delete the partition or just overwrite the MBR. If #2 its easy to fix. #1 depends on if you actually overwrote data yet. How exactly did you install linux?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use VMWare to run Linux under XP. Allows you to run 2 OS's at the same time and if something goes wrong... you can kill it and either reload the VMWAre image or reinstall a new VMWare image of Linux. In my opinion its the best way to enjoy both.

note: I also use VMWare to run a completely seperate XP OS under the primary. I do this so I can test software etc without worrying about corruption or damage to the primary. After a complete install in a VMWare image, I save the pristine image so that I can always reload a clean environment should something happen to it.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you delete the partition or just overwrite the MBR. If #2 its easy to fix. #1 depends on if you actually overwrote data yet. How exactly did you install linux?
I formatted with partition manager, with the idea and knowledge of people across the internet that Linux wouldn't mess with Windows.

-_-; Some advice I got.

·
!
6,312 Posts
man. SORRY for hearing that frankly,i don't like save anything in the internal HDD..that's why i save all my data in external HDD,,anyway's,,I've used good Recover softwares before to get the deleted file..
1.my files recover (rocmmanded)
2.Recover my files..very good ..
3.tuneup 2008 or 2009..there's Recover files softwares with it and good
4.FinalData Enterprise ...frankly i never used it but has good reputation

these are the best recover data out there..so i hope that helps you:(

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been running for five hours on Recover My files. So far so good; I just don't really understand why it has to take so long. All I want is my wedding pictures, the rest are all just program setups for when I partition my other drive for Windows 7 in a few years; and I've got my music backed up on the original CDs and my best friend's Ipod(who has the exact same musical taste as me).

.....I'm having odd power fluctuations in the house today. The lights keep dimming and relighting and my screen shut off and on a few times this morning o_O

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
hopefully you can get your pictures back. Worse comes to worse you might need to go to a professional.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you know that i'm bad in english so what ERUUU means?:D

you using what for media player?...i know it's not the good time to asking this kind of questions;)
English works thusly:

Any word sounds like what its written like.
Just say : MULTITASKERUUUU really loud, and you'll sound like that guy from Iron Chef with his semi-multilingual mouth.

That's Winamp, been using it for... I dunno, years.

·
!
6,312 Posts
English works thusly:

Any word sounds like what its written like.
Just say : MULTITASKERUUUU really loud, and you'll sound like that guy from Iron Chef with his semi-multilingual mouth.

That's Winamp, been using it for... I dunno, years.
you have to use Jet audio it's freeware and amazing...i've tried winamp it's fully of crab,,imo,,,

and Sorry mods for gettting off the topic.:heh:

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
This is the reason I keep all my files archived on a separate external hdd, which I unplug if I have to install an OS or format a drive.

I've archived all my program installers, mods, roms, game images and everything imaginable into .zip files, but nothing illegal on my drive however.

My archived programs directory is 25.9 GB :???:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts