Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear PSXEmu visitor,

welcome to the new emuforums.com board which we recently started. This board has been created in an effort to shorten the loading times for visitors and to lower the traffic on the server for us. But don't worry, no features from the last board are missing, there're even more - more we still need to test out completly and we decided to do that with YOUR help :)

In case you'd like to still browse through the old forums, they're still accessable through the URL http://boards.psxemu.com/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.cgi ! Posting privileges have been removed though as the discussion should run through this board now !

Well, please leave any suggestions, comments or anything else about the new board in this thread and feel free to continue your discussion like usual.

Bobbi
Webmaster of PSXEmu.com

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Nice work Bobbi

Hi Bobbi
Nice work ya done here :)
Keep it up or i'll have to come over to #PSXEmu and slap ya :p
One question, can I use avatars ? It would really rock if one could do that ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really sure if we should let avaters enabled on this board ... I personally don't really like these icons, but I guess the users should decide that ... opinions ? :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loading times ... that depends on the image you use.

We have a size limit for avaters of 15 KB and a maximum posts per page of 15.
That means when you take the case that EVERY user uses the maximum size on a full page, that means 15 x 15 KB, aka 225 KB.

Pretty much, ehh ? Luckily, not everyone uses such a big ([vex]'s one has a size of ~ 4 KB, UncleClive has one of about 5) and they usually only need to be loaded once since they got cached.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, just noticed that you can also disable avaters so they won't display for you - to do that, enter 'Profile', click Options and there's a checkbox somewhere which just needs to be disabled !

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
That's a good feature, so are many of the other new features (email notification, view all new posts, mark all posts as read).

Does this mean we can keep our avatars then? Or do a poll as euphoria suggested?

BTW: can we have our post count back from the previous board. What member statii are there on this one?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, I just added the FF9 avatars from UncleClive, small ones are available from the beginning, bigger ones become accessable with 15 :) Looking for some for 50 and 100 posts now, I guess you'll notice it when I found some :cool: Big thanks to UncleClive for these, if you also have some nice icons, just submit them.

I think we will just give the avatars a shot then at the beginning, when there are to many, they're abused or anything like that, we can still just turn them off :)

Now let's test the new board code a bit ...

BTW: can we have our post count back from the previous board
Nope, this board re-starts at zero for everyone, as I personally don't see why I should make myself the work to look every member up on the old board and edit his profile here afterwards ... let's just call it a new beginning !

What member statii are there on this one?
I'm not sure if I'll add further as most people won't get far above 200 anyway (beside some real freaky persons :cool: ), so I created the following levels :
Junior Member (Minimum Posts: 0)
Member (Minimum Posts: 30)
Emulation freak (Minimum Posts: 100)
Emulation expert (Minimum Posts: 200)
There's also an option which allows users to create their own 'Category' for them - but I disabled it since people may easily abuse that one and call themself 'PSXEmu webmaster', which may confuse people.

Hope this explains it all :cool:

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i like the avatars ;)
but i think that you need some kind of protection against something inappropriate. i was able to set up my own gif as an avatar but im afraid someone could abuse that freedom..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Setting up your own avatar has certain limits - a size limit for the avatar and one for the file size (15 KB).

·
Registered
93 Posts
the ability to use avatars rocks !!
if people don't wont them they can as Bobbi said turn them of
but the rest of us can still enjoy them :)

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
just how many posts are required for a custom avatar. i worked my bum off for 15 good quality posts...but it seems my work is not done... :p

edit: ahh. finally.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
you can have an avatar without ever posting. its under your profile, "edit options"
you need 15 posts for a large-size or a custom avatar

1 - 20 of 32 Posts