Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone who can help me with this try your best ok one of my cd writers went kaput so i opened it up got out my tools and went to work after hours of fiddling i put it back together and WOW it worked until i lokked at it in the device manager windows named it LC-cd*^^/4x when its suppost to be lg-cd-rw 8x8x32 and i cant burn with it anymore nero doesnt even list it as a recording device anymore. it still reads cds fine its just now it wont burn now what could i have done to cause such a glitch?i maybe coud of scratched the silicon a little messing up one of the pipes??hmmm its weird that windows wont notice an error with it or anything but i think im stuck with a 32x cd rom now instead of a 8x8x32 cd-rw. ahh well my 16X plextor writer will last for a while(i hope)someone with the knowledge please help!!!i want to fix this

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You took you cdr apart!?!?!

Ok because the name is screwed up I'm guessing that your DIY has corrupted the firmware somehow or damaged the rom in some manner. Anyways the only thing I can think of it to try and flash the firmware again. Check the firmware page at http://www.firmware.fr.st/ for the correct one.

WARNING: AS THE DRIVE IS SCREWED UP THIS COULD POTENTIALLY KILL IT COMPLETELY. DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
really thanks for the info ya it stopped working alltogether so i opened it up and fixed it with a snap of plastic and some hot glue becuase the eye was going off the gear then the drive would just not respond anymore it was purely mechanical what i fixed why it wont burn now is beyond me p.s ive tested making isos and mp3s offa it and it works fine?if i do flash the bios you think it has a chance o ffixing itdo you think it could be loose data ribbons ??

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but why would it be able to read the disk but not burn anymore
there was 2 data ribbons maybe the burning one is loose?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
FYI>>>>DIY repair job=a drive that worked again I took it from a dead Drive to a drive that reads cds again it just wont burn anymore

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
AQnd like im gonna pay for it when it comes to computers its either get someone you trust to work on it or DIY if i woulda brought this to a shop they woulda just said by a new one and on another note im amazed on how many computer stores ive dealt with WHERE I KNOW MORE THAN THERE REPAIR GUY or THEY FIX 9 outta 10 problems by reinstalling windows then they charge you 50 bucks an hour for the time they wait for it to finish!!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bet theyllclose this thread so back to the topoc what do you think i should do to try and fix the drive?the tray was broken as in it wouldnt move i fixed that it hadnt worked for months before this but now it wont burn?could i have scratched the silicon?maybe E,S,D fried something on the board

·
Registered
234 Posts
It would be good for you if the firmware upgrade would make it work, but i doubt it..... Its prolly just got a loose wire or summing...

*st0ned*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts