Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UPS has been showing some rather strange behavior lately. It happens when there's a power outage and its running off our 2.5kW back-up generator. Basically, its EXTREMELY sensitive to any changes in the electric current. If my sister turns on her bathroom light, the UPS kicks in (it has a built-in surge protector as well so it probably detects that the current is unsafe for the appliance connected to it). The weird thing is that it kicks in when

1) my sis turns on her bathroom light (100W)
2) I turn on my bathroom light (100W)
3) My parents turn on the ceiling fan in their room (60W)
4) I turn on a bulb in my room (40W)

BUT it turns back off when you

1) Turn on the monitor (200W)
2) I open the refrigerator (450W)
3) Turn on the television (300W)
4) Turn on the deep freezer (650W)

What gives? oO It kicks in when some low power appliance in run, but ironically, turns off when you open a high-power appliance. Normally you'd expect it to be the opposite since high-power appliances are more likely to disrupt the voltage, amperage or wattage being received by the UPS, but its the opposite!

Any idea what's causing this?

P.S. Some lights, fans and bulbs seem to make no difference at all.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
It might also be possible that there's too much wiring on a circuit.

My brother's house is kinda like that, because at Christmas, we were making this big dinner, and we had nearly all the appliances in the kitchen turned on, stove, dish washer, water boiler and whatnot. When we turned on the television, some random stuff in the kitchen just turned off, or the fuse went, so we had to reset it every time.
So he decided that before the next time, he'd have an electrician come have a look at it, get the kitchen and living room on different circuits or wtfever, so it wouldn't disrupt eachother. However this house was build like 30 years ago, I think, so the electricians weren't thinking about that many appliances using power or wtfever :p

But yeah, depends how the wiring is done in your house.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too bad all the wiring is embedded inside a 6-inch thick concrete wall >_< Can't replace it even if I want to. We certainly don't want large bundles of wires visibly passing through the house, it'd look horrible!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.