Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to figure out why hardware rendering (on my Shield TV on Android with the newest version of epsxe on the play store) gives me this weird bug.

If I'm in any hardware renderer mode, it does this weird tearing + upside-down thing. Does it from the Sony logo on, doesn't matter what game I'm running. Open GL seems to work for most games, but I hear the Open GL renderer has issues with some titles.

Curious if anyone has encountered and fixed this issue with a solution other than "avoid the hardware renderer".

Attachments

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
I'd guess a broken copy of the game, as that screen shot is not even close to how it's supposed to look.
15786871733867471602432057507118.jpg
Hardware render, on android.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Unfortunately I am 100% confident it's the renderer. As I said, it doesn't matter what game I run, even the BIOS is doing it.
Hardware Renderer for everything but the BoF4 Name Screen (same game as the broken screenshot above), which is Pete's Open GL 2 this time. All on my Nvidia Shield Android TV Box with EPSXE from the Play store. Last updated some time on Friday (I don't leave auto update on).

The Pete's OGL2 works, the Hardware Renderers do not. I don't know why you're getting such different results unless there's some sort of bug in the hardware renderer that makes it break with specific hardware.

Attachments

·
Not a Registered User
1,266 Posts
Check if you have any VR options turned on, also try using 2x and 4x internal resolution for testing, try disabling MME in ePSXe.
Also post your settings.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Unfortunately I am 100% confident it's the renderer. As I said, it doesn't matter what game I run, even the BIOS is doing it.
Hardware Renderer for everything but the BoF4 Name Screen (same game as the broken screenshot above), which is Pete's Open GL 2 this time. All on my Nvidia Shield Android TV Box with EPSXE from the Play store. Last updated some time on Friday (I don't leave auto update on).

The Open GL Renderers work, the Hardware Renderers do not. I don't know why you're getting such different results unless there's some sort of bug in the hardware renderer that makes it break with specific hardware.
From the attached pics, it looks like it is the TV is the issue. I guess when you go hardware renderer it affects the refresh rate or something and the TV doesn't like it. My suggestion is try another TV or change the HDMI cable to another one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Working through the list from simplest to most time consuming.

>Different TV, Different HDMI:
No Change - Photos attached. Switched TVs and cords, didn't make a difference.

>Internal Resolution:
It was on 4x.
On 2x? No Change.
On 1x? No Change.
Disable Soft Threading? No Change.

>VR Options:
I went through all the menu options, I didn't see any VR Options. I don't own any VR hardware.

>MME:
MME? So far as I can tell, not available on android anymore. Not in any of the settings menus I have, anyways.

>Trying out all the renderers (not asked for but, figure it'll still be useful to know)
Hardware: What we've been talking about. Weird Tearing.
Hardware + Shaders: Same Weird Tearing (As expected)
Pete OGL 2: Displays Correctly
Fast OGL 2: Works if Open GL Resolution is set to High or Lower, on Very High it only renders like 4 pixels by 3 pixels and just blurs them out.
Open GL Smoother: EPSXE Crashes
Software: Same tearing as with hardware, but with onscreen buttons.

>Post your settings:
Can do!

>BIOS
BIOS: SCPH1001
Simulated Bios: Disabled.
Show PSX Logo: On

>CPU
Frameskip: Disabled
Show FPS: Off
Set Custom FPS: Default
CPU Overclock: x1

>Screen
Ratio: 4:3
Color Depth: 32
Black Bands: Real PSX
Scanlines: Disable

>Video
Renderer: Hardware
Internal Res: x4
Filtering: Disabled
Filter for 2D Games: Disabled
HW / Soft Threading
2 Threads (Turning it off made no difference to the tearing in hardware mode.)
Overscan: 2 Pixels on top
Brightness: Default
Blit Skip: Disabled
Shader? (Greyed Out)
Various OpenGL Stuff (Greyed Out)
Subpixel Precision: Enabled
Dithering: Always
DMA Chain Core: Always

>Sound
Quality: Full
Latency: Normal

>Input
Players: 2
P1: PS3 Controller - Start mapped to L3; Select mapped to start (Select is always interpreted as an android back button and I haven't found a way to shut that crap off.)
P2: Xbox 360 Pad
Mouse Sensitivity: 140
Autodetect Gamepads: Enabled
Gamepad Filter: Enabled
Bluetooth Keyboard Fix Keyup: Disabled
Extra Functions: All Unmapped

>Memcards
File Mode: Shared By All Games
File Paths and Enable settings and backup settings (All at defaults)

>UI Preferences
Game Browser: Game List
Language: Default
Resume Prompt: On
Info Messages: On
Confirm Exit: On
Show Rate: Off

>Misc
Interpreter: Disabled

About
Version: 2.0.14 (Updated on Play store last week)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After showing everything I had to the Developer, they suggested I go back to the main screen and hit back and tell it to reset all my preferences. I did, and that fixed the Hardware Renderers. I'm not sure what in my preferences file was broken, but resetting it completely solved all the weird video garbage.

Thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts