Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OKay I haven't played FF10 on the emulator in MONTHs. But for some reason now when I go play it , it goes unbelievable slow. I don't know what I had different, I think the only difference now is I have Vista and not XP, does the emulator run much slower in vista?

I am using zero's GS graphics plugin.

I really don't know what I did differently, or how I got ff10 to run much faster, with the older emulator.

Okay this is weird:

If I put it on 1024x768, my frames jump 30 frames a second, if I put it on 1280x960, my frames lower by 30, why the heck??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't run DX10, my Vcard doesn't support it. It seems to run fine on 1024x768 resolution on full screen, but 1280 it just slows down, and that's not under the wide screen option. weird.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is my system not good enough to get a constant 60fps a second, is that what it comes down to?>

·
Standing by...
59 Posts
Unfortunately, AMD doesn't have as much support with this emulator as Intel, and SSE2 just doesn't compare with SSSE3-4. Full speed for FFX (PAL) is 50fps though, so I wouldn't worry too much about reaching 60fps.

I am curious to know, as I was unfortunate to build a 939 system a month before it became obsolete... how does that dual core 939 work for you in general? I'm still running a single core, and it'll be a while before I'm able to build an AM2 system.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It works for me well, I have hadn't a problem with games since Empire Total War came out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why don't you just save up and do a better upgrade?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It has nothing to with AMD or Intel, and SSSE3 and SSE4.1 don't give miraculous speed boosts on their own. The Core 2 is simply that much faster than the Athlon clock for clock, and in a program like PCSX2 which stresses raw horsepower out of two cores, it shows, especially when overclocked.

The Athlon X2 4600+ is 2.4GHz at stock. Is that what yours is running at? That won't get full speed in Final Fantasy X (rough rule of thumb is a Core 2 at ~3.0GHz will get close to full speed most of the time in that game), but it should do okay, especially if you overclock it (2.8GHz to 3.0GHz should do decently).

However, the issues seems to be your video card. If it runs one speed at one resolution, and runs slower at a higher one, what can we deduce is the bottleneck? It's a shame that isn't a DirectX 10 card. GSdx10 actually performs better than GSdx9.

Have you checked to make sure Antialiasing isn't enabled when using ZeroGS KOSMOS? What that does is actually multiply the internal drawing resolution that many times of the native, rather than use real antialiasing as we know it (so it's more like super-sampling than multi-sampling). Antialiasing at 4x or higher can kill some weaker/older cards (even if they run fine at one scene, they'll crawl at others). Changing the resolution in ZeroGS KOSMOS shouldn't have much of a speed impact on it's own, since the render target isn't tied to the resolution.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got to subscribe to this thread, so I know I get responses LOL.

I am very newbie when it comes to overclocking. But I finally figured out, upping the voltage works lol, don't want to fry the chip though.

Anyway I did overclock it to 2.75 GHZ. And there is a 10 FPS gain in FFX. My video card the 7950GX2 i think is almost 3 1/2 years old. I even got it replaced because i destroyed it by overclocking.

What it comes down to is my ram. My ram has very tight timings, 2-2-2-3-5. So in order to overclock the ram with the chip I have to get the timings less tight, and trying to figure that out is impossible for this system. If I am one digit off, the computer shuts it self down if it detects to much voltage, and i have to reset the bios and start from scratch again.

My video card is werid, for some reason it can run games amazingly on 1024x768, but as soon as it hits 1280, it freaks out. I can't understand why that is with this video card.

I am going to try to get it to 3.0GHZ. I doubt it though.

Update:

Wow I got it to 2.8 GHZ at 1.56 VOltage. I have never got it this high before this stable... damn.

HOLY CRAP 67FPS with 8 characters on the screen, DAMN YOU CPU!!!! I want to upgrade my computer so badly now, I KNEW it was my CPU that was my bottleneck the WHOLE TIME>

I guarantee with XP my FPS will be even higher. I am going to re-install XP and see.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
It has nothing to with AMD or Intel, and SSSE3 and SSE4.1 don't give miraculous speed boosts on their own. The Core 2 is simply that much faster than the Athlon clock for clock, and in a program like PCSX2 which stresses raw horsepower out of two cores, it shows, especially when overclocked.

The Athlon X2 4600+ is 2.4GHz at stock. Is that what yours is running at? That won't get full speed in Final Fantasy X (rough rule of thumb is a Core 2 at ~3.0GHz will get close to full speed most of the time in that game), but it should do okay, especially if you overclock it (2.8GHz to 3.0GHz should do decently).

However, the issues seems to be your video card. If it runs one speed at one resolution, and runs slower at a higher one, what can we deduce is the bottleneck? It's a shame that isn't a DirectX 10 card. GSdx10 actually performs better than GSdx9.

Have you checked to make sure Antialiasing isn't enabled when using ZeroGS KOSMOS? What that does is actually multiply the internal drawing resolution that many times of the native, rather than use real antialiasing as we know it (so it's more like super-sampling than multi-sampling). Antialiasing at 4x or higher can kill some weaker/older cards (even if they run fine at one scene, they'll crawl at others). Changing the resolution in ZeroGS KOSMOS shouldn't have much of a speed impact on it's own, since the render target isn't tied to the resolution.
SSE / SSSE allows for more instructions to be handled per cycle, so YES they do impact on performance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.